PDA

View Full Version : Tunes with fiddle and mandolin twin sound

bahed
Feb-24-2008, 10:15am
I am looking for song recommendations for fiddle and mandolin featured in unison that are fairly well known for that feature. Music styles are not limited to bluegrass. Finally, a tab source would be greatly appreciated .

JeffD
Feb-24-2008, 11:07pm
I am looking for song recommendations for fiddle and mandolin featured in unison that are fairly well known for that feature. #Music styles are not limited to bluegrass. #Finally, a tab source would be greatly appreciated .
In my opinion the sweetest violin/mandolin duets are tunes with lots of half and whole notes, slow waltzes with lots of long notes for example.

The violin's way of sustaining a single note (long bow with vibrato) just goes so well with the mandolin's way (tremolo).

Even in unison the two work well on the longer notes.

bgjunkie
Feb-25-2008, 2:29pm
I have played Lover's Waltz in unison with a fiddle before and it came off very well.

JeffD
Feb-25-2008, 2:40pm
I have played Lover's Waltz in unison with a fiddle before and it came off very well.
Perfect example. Ashoken Fairwell is another great one.

For a non waltze example - I think of Wild Rose of the Mountain, or Limericks Lament, played achingly slow.

Fast tunes can be done in unison too, but I find that it can get muddy, as most folks who play fast have less control over intonation at those speeds, and so are less able to adjust to match the other player. If you get two great players who can do it - it can sound great. The mandolin adds a percussiveness that the fiddle lacks, and the fiddle adds a sonority. I think of those great irish recordings with bouzouki and fiddle or button box accordion in unison. WOOOOOO!