PDA

View Full Version : Monroe's blues

AlanN
Feb-19-2008, 7:15am
Working on this number. A simple blues in G, using Big Mon moves over the changes, mostly tremble throughout. What makes this tune is on the bridge, the walk-up from F to F# to G. Pretty sophisticated change right there for the mon http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

AlanN
Feb-19-2008, 9:18am
MP,

My Monroe brain is meager...now, if yer talkin MAD magazine, I'm your man
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Perry
Feb-19-2008, 9:44am
Funny you mention that tune; I was just this morn watching the Compton Kamp Kaufman DVD where he shows this tune and I says to myself "got learn this"! A deceptive little number.

There is so much to learn my "watching" Compton on this DVD.

He does a Sally Goodin where he holds the A double stop chord on the bottom two strings for the entire tune.

Tbone
Feb-19-2008, 11:37am
Good tune. I'm trying to think of a recorded copy - is this on any albums?

hedding
Feb-19-2008, 12:32pm
it was recorded sometime during the seventies, I have it on the monroe box set from 70-79.

woodwizard
Feb-19-2008, 12:44pm
That's a good one Alan. That walk up part really makes that song come alive. I think there's a pretty cool Compton version at mandozine if anyone is interested.

cooper4205
Feb-19-2008, 4:13pm
it was recorded sometime during the seventies, I have it on the monroe box set from 70-79.
it looks like it was recorded in '76 and released on the Bill Monroe Sings Bluegrass Body & Soul album in '77

Perry
Feb-21-2008, 11:49am
Another somewhat rare Monroe chesntut with a slick little V to IV slide is "My Father's Footsteps".

There's a good 'n greasy version on the Compton Kamp Kaufman DVD that Mike Strangeland made years ago. (Thanks to both Mikes!) Also a good version on "Grounded Centered Focused".

"Land of Lincoln"; another one I'd like to get going one day.

Tom C
Feb-21-2008, 12:41pm
I've been playing it for a while. Good tune to learn downstrokes as Compton does. -And it sounds good at any speed.

f5loar
Feb-29-2008, 1:31am
Alan, you need to come back to Salisbury and we can sit down with a couple of Loars and pick all the Bill tunes you want. I just mastered Bill's Dream.

evanreilly
Feb-29-2008, 2:29am
'Bill's Dream' - gotta nail that pizzicato intro!

AlanN
Feb-29-2008, 8:18am
Tommy,

Sounds like a plan, and if we get yer cronie Evan up that way, well, it will be Monroe Country!

Another good one is Lochwood. I have some video I shot at Peaceful Valley one year, maybe 1993. 3TO did this number, Wayne had recently started with the band and he got some good moves on it, slightly different than Monroe did it. Wayne has a healthy respect for The Father.

evanreilly
Feb-29-2008, 11:09am
Alan:
Why you whippersnapper, you! Who you accusing of croneyism? I will deal with you later; I'll whip you with used Wegen flatpicks, I will, I will!
I have a Monroe County Deputy Sheriff's hat, so I'll be in charge of that there conglomerationing. So there!
Stand in the corner and play 'Smoky Mountain Schottische' 1,000 times!

Spruce
Feb-29-2008, 11:12am
"Another good one is Lochwood. I have some video I shot at Peaceful Valley one year, maybe 1993. 3TO did this number, Wayne had recently started with the band and he got some good moves on it, slightly different than Monroe did it. Wayne has a healthy respect for The Father."

Wayne's version of "Lochwood" just rules....

AlanN
Feb-29-2008, 11:29am
Other than Wayne and Spruce, I know of no other recordings of Lochwood. Heck, I hardly hear it at jams, for that matter. Showing it to a guitar man worth his weight is a no brainer, as the changes are there to be heard.

Oh, and Evan? You will smack me down in the Big Mon dept, as I don't know SMS or Bill's Dream, or Galley Nipper, or... Frog On A Lily Pad? hmmmm...Buddy Merriam showed me that a long time ago, need to brush up...be gentle with me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

evanreilly
Feb-29-2008, 11:42am
I remember ole Buddy Merriam. He and I picked a few of them ole 'Mon-bo' tunes.
Buddy, Gary Darling & Evan .

AlanN
Feb-29-2008, 12:32pm
Looks like Buddy done done the ol' 'knock-the-ol'-headstock-scroll' off deal!