PDA

View Full Version : Rocker needs help on mando playing

Narayan Kersak
Feb-18-2008, 9:05am
Howdy:

So my background is in rock/blues guitar. #I picked up mando to play irish music, I'm cool with that. #I've been playing with this group who aren't much like anything I've played before, I need some tips on tasteful mandolin soloing.

On this link I've uploaded some tunes...montana breeze and orphan girl have some examples of what I've been doing solo wise. #If you can give me some idea of how to make this go more with the song that would be helpful. What I mean by that, is that I feel I'm playing solos as if I was playing guitar, and I think this type of music typically has a different kind of feel than what I'm coming up with.

http://www.healingeasy.com/Tunes.html

woodwizard
Feb-18-2008, 9:48am
I remember in one of my past bands we did Orphan Girl and I used a lot of tremelo that seemed to work well and also slipped in fill licks to fit Gillians style on thaten'.
Keep up the good work. I like what you're doing.

Bob Wiegers
Feb-18-2008, 10:02am
I listened to Orphan Girl...love that song. I'm listening to the original now, and the biggest contrast for the solos is how Gill/David keep very close to the melody of the tune. I like some of the stuff you're doing, but I think you're right, it doesnt quite "go" with this type of tune. one other thing I noticed is that it seems like your rhythm section is rushing a bit, which may contribute to a less laid-back rendition.

but over all, good stuff!

Narayan Kersak
Feb-18-2008, 10:53am
Yes, sticking with the melody a bit sounds like a good idea. The drummer does rush a bit every now and again. He's working on it.

I'll need to work on my tremelo a bit. I Keep thinking the mando will just keep ringing like a guitar. ; )

JeffD
Feb-18-2008, 11:08am
I think that it is hard for folks from a rock / blues background to "get it" with traditional music, Irish/Scottish in particular. I think it has to do with the way that rock and blues gets into the blood so effectively, and shapes music making so completely, that maybe its just hard to shake.

I base this on the many many rock-blues guitar players who come once or twice to a jam, or that I have played with in a band, and who just seem to have a difficult time assimilating.

The advice above about sticking close to the melody is right on. Also listen to everything you can in the genre, let that music seep into your blood, so that it can displace some of the 12 bar blues and have its own unconsciuous influence on the shape your improv.