PDA

View Full Version : Finale 2006

Andrew DeMarco
Feb-17-2008, 10:35am
As my first exercise in Standard Notation, I've been working on transcribing Chopin Waltz 19 for mandolin. It's been incredibly fun. However, I have finally acquired a version of Finale, Finale 2006, and I want to put the standard notation above TAB.

Two questions:

1. Can I get the std notation and Tab to coincide so I don't have to manually input the music on both staves?

2. How does one change the "fret number" on the tablature staff? I can click on a "string" and it will insert a "0" - how do I choose what fret I want? The letters on my keyboard seem to randomly change the number m="11" etc... Is there a method to this madness or a system I'm missing?

I've tried to use the search function on the message board, and I've tried to search the Finale manual, but to no avail!

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated! Boy standard notation is beautiful in so many ways!

btrott
Feb-17-2008, 10:49am
Hi. On question 1 what I have found as far as creating tab in Finale is that the easiest way is to create the file in standard notation, then add a tab staff and then highlight and drag the standard notation line to teh tab line, and Finale will write the tab in automatically for you from the standard notation. Chapter 36 in the Finale manual (the pdf version) discusses how to create and edit tablature. I hope this helps,

Barry

Andrew DeMarco
Feb-17-2008, 11:17am
Thanks a lot, btrott. You answered both of my questions. On with the journey into musical notation!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif)))

Ted Eschliman
Feb-17-2008, 12:38pm
This is one of the coolest features of Finale. Those of us were grew up with notation have a hard time thinking TAB. Like Barry said, once you have everything in standard notation, it's simple to drag and drop. If you have articulations (or fingerings added), you can go to the Mass Edit menu and select "erase entries." This will allow you to remove some of the frivolous notation entries that aren't (traditionally) a part of Tablature.