PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass breakdown

Jonathan Peck
Feb-10-2008, 8:37am
Does anybody have a version of bluegrass breakdown that they can share. I've worked through the one in the Todd Collins book and I'm looking for more versions. In particular, I'm looking for a single note solo for the 'B' section

hedding
Feb-11-2008, 5:16pm
monroe played more of a single string version of the b section on a couple live versions I have of this tune. Are you familiar with the arpegio's monroe frequently did in the key of g, c and d? Think of a song like Bluegrass Twist, some of the varations he did on that are the arpegios I am talking about.

From what I am hearing it sounds like a combination of thoses with a lot of sliding and slurring of notes. Not sure if you want a monroe influenced single string variation, it's not really the melody exactly but it sure sounds cool.

AlanN
Feb-11-2008, 5:24pm
Bobby Clark did it on his Top Dog record, Herschel Sizemore did it on Bounce Away.

cooper4205
Feb-11-2008, 6:12pm
there's a pretty thorough transcription in the 16 Gems book. I don't have it in front of me, but I'm pretty sure its got all of the parts.

david blair
Feb-12-2008, 6:26am
The second part starts on G with first finger on the fifth fret of the A string, and third finger on the ninth fret of the D string. Slide up into it on the one and three, twice. Then first finger on the Fifth fret of the D string, and second finger on the seventh fret of the G string, another G chord double stop. Now add your third finger on the seventh fret of the G string, a C chord. The signature Monroe "giddy up" rhythm" double shuffle right hand on this. A few quick 1-2-3, back again to the previous G, and back to the other G, #finish your break!
John Reishman has tabs if want them.

Jim Broyles
Feb-12-2008, 6:28am
David, that's the double stop B part. The OP is looking for the single note B part break. The version which has a banjo kickoff has the single note break.

Jonathan Peck
Feb-12-2008, 10:41am
Thanks everyone for your sugestions. I've been playing the Monroe version for awhile and I love playing this tune. I'm the only one who ever calls it and I'd like to work out some more ideas for breaks. The one I like alot is on the Classic Bluegrass from the Smithsonian album by David Johnson. I'm not sure who plays the mandolin break on the cut, but it's one I'd like to work out.

PS: David, I just sent you a PM

birdman98
Feb-13-2008, 7:42pm
Sam Bush breaks it down on the "Mandolin of Bill Monroe" DVD.

mandolirius
Feb-13-2008, 8:17pm
I listened to a few of the versions I have and I'd say the Bobby Clark version is the most "single-notey". It tends to be a double stop exercise for most players, as per the Monroe original.

Jonathan Peck
Feb-14-2008, 1:06pm
I listened to a few of the versions I have and I'd say the Bobby Clark version is the most "single-notey". It tends to be a double stop exercise for most players, as per the Monroe original.
I checked the available williams and clark albums and couldn't fing BG breakdown. What album is it on?

AlanN
Feb-14-2008, 1:12pm
Eponymously titled 1987 release on the Top Dog label, tough to find, but worth it. Has Bush, Stuart Duncan, Larry NcNeely, others. All tunes, all great.

Jonathan Peck
Feb-14-2008, 1:55pm
Just one more reason I should of hung onto my old record player. Just in case anyone is interested in the LP, I found an available copy here <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/BOBBY-CLARK-s-t-TOP-DOG-LP-record_W0QQitemZ200193630198QQihZ010QQcategoryZ306 QQrdZ1QQssPag
eNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Bobby Clark LP</a>

AlanN
Feb-14-2008, 1:57pm
Bobby actually had it dropped down to CD, and last I saw him, was carrying it at his shows.

mandolirius
Feb-14-2008, 2:15pm
I have heard that it's available on CD too. Maybe try contacting him through the
L & C website. And I second Alan's recommendation. One of the great instrumental mandolin recordings of all time!