PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon recording sessions

hedding
Feb-07-2008, 11:23pm
My guitar pickin' buddy and I went over to my brother's studio for an afternoon of picking. We laid down four tracks in a "jam session" style. Two Microphone's in one room with both of us playing live.

1. Bluegrass Stomp
2. Djangology
3. Cadillac Slim
4. Cherokee Shuffle

All songs we recorded on first take with no editing.

I would really appreciate some comments I have only been playing for 2 and 1/2 years and I need to take my playing to the next level. Any tips would be helpful, especially on better jazz interpretation, I am lost on the Django Stuff.

Mandolin is a Eastman 615

http://www.myspace.com/heddingmando

the link where i had to store the songs because they were too large.

Thanks in advance if you do end up listening.

fishdawg40
Feb-08-2008, 8:49am
Props to you! You play great. Looks like you've been doing all the right things for those 2 and a 1/2 years. I can't give you any tips other than keep on playing and the breakthroughs will come.

mdlorenz
Feb-08-2008, 9:11am
Just listened to stomp... great job...

mandobsessed
Feb-09-2008, 10:36am
Really nice picking and a great tone from your mandolin. The Django stuff is pretty tough but keep plugging away at it.

hedding
Feb-09-2008, 7:24pm
hey thanks for the comments, I really appreciate you taking time to listen.

I dont' know if I have the timing quite right on the Django stuff, sometimes I feel it should be more laid back on the beat but if you listen it's clear that some parts I was pushing the beat a little bit and playing in a more bluegrass style. I think it was just those licks sort of popped out because all of my experience is in playing bluegrass.

It's hard to separate it, I think I need to get John's Rhythmn DVD. It'll definitely be a long road but I am glad it's so fun a long the way.

thanks again.

BPV
Feb-09-2008, 7:48pm
Listened to Stomp.....I'll check the rest out later! Sounds Great...Keep playing and sharing that talent....Thanks:)

mandogreg2
Feb-10-2008, 8:29pm
Great job for someone who's been only playing for a short time. You have a great future! And your Eastman sounds real nice. Actually, I was surprised at how nice it sounded.

Great job!