PDA

View Full Version : Please listen and comment on my new recording...

agp399
Feb-04-2008, 10:26am
We have just completed an initial mix down of a song we recorded called A Living Prayer written by Ron Block. We're still in the process of recording better takes of instruments and vocals but would appreciate it if you can have a listen and give feedback on the sound to help us improve the recording.

Any constructive comments on any part of the recording/mix would be excellent.

Follow the link below and then click on "A Living Prayer.mp3" to download the track.

http://fingerstyleadrian.googlepages.com/nocompromiserecordings

Enjoy
Adrian

Bob Wiegers
Feb-04-2008, 11:30am
I think it's lovely, although I'd like to hear more mando going on. perhaps some subtle interplay with the fiddle? also, I think a bass would round out the sound a lot (or are my wimpy headphones just missing it?). I'm no sound tech so I cant offer much on the mix, but I thought it was balanced well, and overall sounding good. very nice!

woodwizard
Feb-04-2008, 12:04pm
Very pretty. She has a sweet voice. I too think there is some room for some more mando.

Milan Christi
Feb-04-2008, 1:18pm
I liked this a lot. For my ears the mix is ok - maybe a little hot on the vocals as the lead vocalist reaches into the higher register. The recording is nice but I noticed some pitch issues between the two voices together and the violin. Sounds like some decent mics. I offer these opinions as constructive criticism only because you asked. Overall this is pretty doggone nice. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Keep at it! You're doing great!

Ooops! Almost forgot...by all means add some more mandolin, please!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Trip
Feb-04-2008, 1:35pm
Nice mix with the guitar and fiddle tones........and I am assuming you will be adding more mando rather than just the intro, with fills through out the tune....and a defined bass line would add depth....the vocals are a little too out front in the mix for me, but I am no pro
Overall a very clean recording, what is your setup?

Jim Broyles
Feb-04-2008, 5:34pm
I agree that after the intro, you miss the mandolin during the song, and I too heard some pitch issues with the fiddle and vocal. I would like to hear this with bass and a little less gain for the lead singer. It's a pretty song and I like the sentiment.

agp399
Feb-05-2008, 3:24am
Thanks for all the comments - they're all being taken on board.

We are going to (and already had planned to) re-record the vocals and violin as these are the first takes and want to resolve pitching issues and strengthen up the backing harmony. The violin in my opinion in a few odd places overpowers the vocals so we are working on changing the composition very slightly to avoid these clashes. Because the violin part is in flux I am going to add more mandolin once the violin is nailed - perhaps as a harmony to the violin.

My setup is iMac with Logic Express 7. Edirol FA101 firewire audio interface and 2 Rode NT2A mics. Guitar and mandolin were recorded with the mics as a stereo pair and vocals + violin with a single mic. All done in the spare bedroom with a duvet behind to deaden the room acoustics.