PDA

View Full Version : Friend of the devil

djc227
Feb-01-2008, 3:01pm
Does anyone have tab to Friend of the Devil? Specifically the intro and solo? I heard this song played at Winfield and absolutely loved it, but I can't find anything dealing with mandolin tab.

jefflester
Feb-01-2008, 3:52pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=17;t=50606

djc227
Feb-01-2008, 5:18pm
yeah, I read that before but I'm not very good at playing by ear yet. I can play simple tunes by ear, but not something like this. I was hoping that someone had either tab or standard musical notation for it.

jefflester
Feb-01-2008, 5:57pm
This is a pretty simple tune.

The intro is G and C chords with a walk down.
So start 0523 and walk the D string down 0423, 0223, 0023. Then move it over to the C chord 5230, 4230, 2230, 0230. That's it for the intro and verses (just G and C).

(chords don't quite line up with actual position with this font)
VERSE:
G
I lit out from Reno,
# # # #C
I was trailed by twenty hounds
G
Didn't get to sleep that night
# # # # #C
'Till the morning came around.

CHORUS:
D
Set out runnin' but I take my time
#Am
A friend of the devil is a friend of mine
# D
If I get home before daylight,
#Am # # # # # # # # # ## # # # ## D
I just might get some sleep tonight.

BRIDGE:
D
Got two reasons why I cry
D
Away each lonely night,
# #C
The first one's named Sweet Anne Marie,
# #C # # # # # # # # # # # # #C #C#
And she's my hearts delight.
# #D
The second one is prison, baby,
# #D
The sheriff's on my trail,
# #Am
And if he catches up with me,
# # C # # # # # # # #D
I'll spend my life in jail.

When you talk about a solo, what version are you referring to? Make up your own, just noodle in the key of G.

GVD
Feb-01-2008, 7:44pm
It sounds better to me to throw a C between the Am and D on the last line of the chorus.

CHORUS:
D
Set out runnin' but I take my time
Am
A friend of the devil is a friend of mine
#D
If I get home before daylight,
Am # # # # # # # # # # # ## # # #C # ## D
I just might get some sleep tonight.

GVD

djc227
Feb-02-2008, 2:49am
Thanks man, I'm not sure what all that means, but i'll give it a go!

Dylan

bendhoward
Jun-04-2017, 11:21pm
Not sure if anyone cares about this 9 years later, but I just transcribed the mandolin intro and solo from the Garcia/Grisman version of the song.

Friend of the Devil: Grisman Mandolin Intro and Solo (http://benhoward.org/mandolin/Friend_of_the_Devil_Mandolin.pdf)

ajh
Jun-06-2017, 9:02am
Thanks....that particular lead in to that particular version of that particular song literally stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it. And caused me to pick up a mandolin. It still gives me a huge thrill every time I hear it.

AlanN
Jun-06-2017, 9:18am
Not sure if anyone cares about this 9 years later, but I just transcribed the mandolin intro and solo from the Garcia/Grisman version of the song.

Friend of the Devil: Grisman Mandolin Intro and Solo (http://benhoward.org/mandolin/Friend_of_the_Devil_Mandolin.pdf)

Nice job. Them 2 guys had a certain thing between them.

bigskygirl
Jun-06-2017, 11:53am
Wow, thanks bendhoward, I've been working on this tune lately.

biologyprof
Jun-06-2017, 12:26pm
Yes, very nice job indeed. Thanks for posting your work.

Bob Visentin
Jun-07-2017, 6:30am

Good work.

FYI This version is on the Garcia/Grisman recording on Acoustic Disc - ACD 2
While bluegrasser play this song fast Jerry goes the other way. Sweet.

Spruce
Jun-07-2017, 8:41am
This thread jogged a memory...
I saw the Dead in '70 or so, and Jerry sang a verse that has since disappeared?

I'm sure it's out there, because if the Faithful Fed so much as sneezed on stage, it was captured on tape... ;)

Bob Visentin
Jun-07-2017, 1:10pm
This thread jogged a memory...
I saw the Dead in '70 or so, and Jerry sang a verse that has since disappeared?

I'm sure it's out there, because if the Faithful Fed so much as sneezed on stage, it was captured on tape... ;)

You can borrow from the devil, you can borrow from a friend
But the devil will give you twenty, when your friend got only ten

Robert Hunter (lyricist for Garcia) always sings this verse.

Spruce
Jun-07-2017, 4:44pm
You can borrow from the devil, you can borrow from a friend
But the devil will give you twenty, when your friend got only ten

Uhhh, maybe something different??
47 year old memory, so not quite sharp as a tack...
I do know I (surprisingly) heard it again on a '72 recording...will do a tad of research...

ckmando
Sep-07-2017, 10:08am

I care:) and was just about to listen to this version tonight. PERFECT Timing

ckmando
Sep-07-2017, 10:10am
maybe ill turn it into a tab

mandolin breeze
Sep-07-2017, 12:37pm
ckmando . . . a tab version would be more than appreciated. Standard notation is above my pay grade, and I suspect a few others too. Thanks in advance.

OneChordTrick
Sep-07-2017, 12:46pm
ckmando . . . a tab version would be more than appreciated. Standard notation is above my pay grade, and I suspect a few others too. Thanks in advance.

Me too! :)

Wynning13
Nov-09-2017, 8:53pm
Also want to say, tabs would be deeply appreciated.

darrylicshon
Nov-09-2017, 10:38pm

Friend of the Devil: Grisman Mandolin Intro and Solo (http://benhoward.org/mandolin/Friend_of_the_Devil_Mandolin.pdf)I play the song with my other half alot , I usually just play the chords alittle then solo, which she hates most of the time , I'll have to go thru your notation and surprise her, I have time off coming up and she does also so thanks for posting the notation

ckmando
Dec-19-2017, 9:06am
I care :)
Do you have the tef file?

Mando Mort
Jan-08-2018, 7:13am
I have been playing this song for years on guitar and have played it slow like on the Dead Set LP as opposed to the faster bluegrass versions I have heard. A great tune indeed and this thread has been helpful in beginning to play it on mandolin.

Paul Merlo
Jan-10-2018, 10:13pm
Uhhh, maybe something different??
47 year old memory, so not quite sharp as a tack...
I do know I (surprisingly) heard it again on a '72 recording...will do a tad of research...

You guys ever check out the Dead shows on archive.org to figure out which show it was?
https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

happy hunting!

mando bandage
Nov-01-2020, 10:36am
Trying to track down a transcription of FOTD this morning and found this, but the link has gone cold. Anyone plan better than I did and still have this available? TIA.

¡Feliz Día de Los Muertos!