PDA

View Full Version : Wayfaring stranger

notquitemonroe
Jan-31-2008, 11:42pm
I'm trying to find the tab for Wayfaring Stranger the way that Bill Monroe did it. I seem to be able to find all sorts of other artists doing their versions, which aren't quite Big Mon's. If anyone can tell me a site, or for some of the youtube posters on here, post you playing it with instructions, SLOWLY, I'm new and still not very good. Thank you in advance.

earthsave
Feb-01-2008, 3:30pm
I think my copy came from Mike Compton and it's title "Wayfaring Stranger" - position exercises. I probably got it at one of his workshops as a handout. I really like it.

It's in Gm. Not sure if I have an e-copy of it or if it is on Mike's website? You might check there.

Bill Snyder
Feb-01-2008, 4:13pm
Mandozine TableEdit files. (http://www.mandozine.com/music/search_results.php?searchfor=wayfaring&tuneselectby=C&mandolevel=&category=&songkey=&artist=&transcriber=&sortby=T&sortorder=A&submit=Find+TableEdit+Files)

notquitemonroe
Feb-03-2008, 11:40pm
Thanks for the help guys, I believe the version I am wanting by Bill Monroe is in Am, just sounds eerie in Am.

Wes

Jim Broyles
Feb-04-2008, 6:20am
There is a live version by Monroe in Gm that does not go to Eb for the B part but to G major. I thought this is the version you wanted but It isn't listed on the Tab|Edit site.

AlanN
Feb-04-2008, 6:56am
Oh yeah, that Monroe version where he goes to G major is tough. That tune will either make you say "Man, I love this music!" or something else...

Tony Rice does it on Cold On The Shoulder, way different than the above. He does the thing where he starts it vocally in a slow 4, then kicks it up (with Sam Bush taking a hot 8 bar chorus, and Vassar shines too), then goes back to the slow 4. That was back when Tony was releasing album after album of great things.

I think Dave Peters noted out a break to WF in his Masters book, need to check.

arbarnhart
Feb-04-2008, 8:36am
I think the version I have is Am, but it is a very simple and short version in Bud Orr's Mandolin Anthology. I was playing it over the weekend on my new (old guitar, just converted) mandocello in some other key (I am not used to the 'cello enough yet to read the notes, so I was playing the tab and letting it be transposed). Sounds really good and eery in the slow timing on the 'cello. It almost sounded like I knew what I was doing. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif