PDA

View Full Version : 2008: year of repertoire

jasona
Jan-28-2008, 2:02pm
OK, so I'm about a month late--its been very busy for me!

So, I need to learn new tunes this year. I'm starting with Mr. Monroe's Gold Rush, which seems a jam standard. Here are some versions I will be working with, (http://www.mandozine.com/music/search_results.php?searchfor=Gold+rush&tuneselectby=C&mandolevel=&category=&songkey=&artist=&transcriber=&sortby=T&sortorder=A&submit=)which require TEFVIEW (a free download). I am starting this first week with the simplest transcription. I may then move on to the version in the Cafe tab section.

Wish me luck!

AlanN
Jan-28-2008, 2:55pm
I was listening to Herschel Sizemore's Bounce Away over the weekend. He plays this one, in his distinctive, bouncy style. I think there's a transcription of this version floating around.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-28-2008, 8:56pm
Jason,

If you're interested, I have version of Gold Rush on my YouTube page. It's just a little thing I've been putting together because I'm basically a big dork. Feel free to stop by and check it out if you want. It's not a slow version, but I learned the version I play from Mandozine.com's essential tunes. All of the songs I've recorded are just to develop a sense of community with everyone and to help anyone learn a song they might not know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7KWKJA2IU

I recorded that version to show the new Big Sky A model from Weber. I was playing one for a little while there.

jasona
Jan-30-2008, 1:52pm
Thanks Kevin, nice picking! Its nice to see your fingering choices for the B part voiced chords too, I was fussing with what made the most sense there last night.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-30-2008, 2:16pm
Thanks Kevin, nice picking! Its nice to see your fingering choices for the B part voiced chords too, I was fussing with what made the most sense there last night.
Jason,

Thanks, man.

I can happily do another, slower version if you like. I did that one primariy to show off the Big Sky A model, and was just ripping through some stuff faster than I am really comfortable. Just let me know. As I'm sure is obvious, I basically know intermediate versions of fiddle tunes, which is my intention so I have room to improvise when I'm playign with others, depending on how the song is going in the moment.

jasona
Jan-30-2008, 2:28pm
No problem, the speed is just fine. I am with you on the intermediate level fiddle tunes, I'm weaker in repertoire (thus this project) and playing out. I can only work on the former here however. I am trying to learn the basic melody of these tunes I'm working on in the first week, and this version is about the most basic I've found so far.

Thanks again!

Jonathan Peck
Jan-30-2008, 3:03pm
Why shift when you don't have to? When playing this one up to tempo, it's faster to stay in first position and use your pinky on the seventh fret. It's also good for developing finger independence with the second and fourth fingers chording the 4th and 7th frets. Why not start now while you're getting the tune up to speed.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-30-2008, 4:44pm
That's good advice on the pinky, John.

I focus a lot on my pinky, but for this tune I like the sliding effect of sticking with my ring finger, if we're discussing the same part. You're right though, I think it's a good idea to stick with the piny most of the time, unless it's a stylistic sound you're going for.

jasona
Jan-30-2008, 7:27pm
Why shift when you don't have to? When playing this one up to tempo, it's faster to stay in first position and use your pinky on the seventh fret. It's also good for developing finger independence with the second and fourth fingers chording the 4th and 7th frets. Why not start now while you're getting the tune up to speed.
...and Jonathan nailed what I was working on last night! It is a slidy song, and that gets the Monroe feel going. I'll work on both once I get the basic tune under my fingers.