PDA

View Full Version : Roanoke, harmony?

tango_grass
Jan-25-2008, 2:20am
I was wondering if anybody had worked up, or knew of a place I could find a tab for a harmony part to Bill Monroe's Roanoke.

Any help is appreciated.

hedding
Jan-27-2008, 9:00pm
not sure of where you could find one but i'd venture it would be really easy to create one yourself.

start by taking the first position g scale which is used in roanoke.

the create a second scale by using the SAME notes of the g scale but start on the b note(4th Fret G String) bring this scale up to the octave b(2nd A string or 8th Fret E string).

That new displaced scale that you have created is now a harmony part for the original G scale. When there's a G note play a B. Go through Roanoke and just look at the two scales and take notes from the original G scale and the new scale will give you a third above that.

This will create a simply harmony part I believe. Hopefully that's not too confusing.

AlanN
Jan-28-2008, 7:08am
I think Wayne Benson has it noted out in his Acutab book. I know for a fact that it's in the Robert Bowlin Twin Mandolin Workshop book from many years ago. Cool arrangements and tunes in there, but the tab is seriously flawed.

300win
Jan-29-2008, 6:39am
Just listen to the twin part that the fiddle is doing on the recording,that will transfer right to the mandolin.