PDA

View Full Version : Wanna learn some fiddle tunes

Bernie Daniel
Jan-10-2008, 4:11pm
This is a tip for a mandolin beginner wanting to start building a fiddle tune (or just tune) repertoire.

The Joe Carr collection (Mel Bay series #MB20553BCD)) called (Great Mandolin Picking Tunes) published in 2003 is great. #

I was given a copy of it as a present last month by a well meaning friend. #Actually I know many of the songs in the collection so I bequeathed it to my niece.

But first I took a good look at it. #

It is a nice collection of 30 tunes (many traditional fiddle tunes) Angie the Baker, Texas Gales, Miss. Swayer, Cripple Creek, Whiskey before Breakfast. Paddy on the Turnpike etc. and some other tunes Celtic, Polka, Reels etc.

You get a book with standard notation Plus tablature and a CD with all of the tunes played by Carr at smooth, even pace.

I ripped the CD and put the mp3s's on my hard drive. Now she can play them back on her PC as fast or slow as she chooses using the Amazing Slow Downer.

Good deal!

johnM
Jan-11-2008, 6:01am
I've had luck with Butch's 30 mandolin tunes cd/book. It was very helpfull also.

good luck

jm

AlanN
Jan-11-2008, 7:02am
Joe is cool, no doubt. Has always had somewhat of a classic jazz sense, starting with his very hip solos to Slim Richey's Jazz Grass RidgeRunner record. Years ago, I got Joe's hand-written tabs to all his solos on that record. Apparently, he liberally quoted Charlie Christian when devising those, everything from diminished phrasing, ii-V-I lines, etc. Since then, he has come up with very hip lines to traditional numbers. One solo in particular stands out: the 2nd solo to Twinkle Little Star, off his Texas Fiddle Tunes. He gets this cool thing over the C7 chord, just perfect.

I gave him a pick one time, I'd like to think that has something to do with his creativity http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

PCT57
Jan-13-2008, 5:46am
I am also working through this book and can thoroughly recommend it for relatively new beginners like myself.

There are some nice pieces in it and the arrangements are fairly simple but can lead you on to more involved versions. For example Angeline The Baker is quite nice and can be used as the basis to learn a more involved version by Jason Dennie which can be found on the BRW website:

http://www.brw-instruments.com/Audibles.html

Carleton Page
Jan-13-2008, 9:12am
This is my first post,although I have been soaking up the wisdom here obsessively for about 6 months. I wanted to add that I have Western Swing Guitar style by Joe Carr and it is really awesome. He seems to have a way of making complex material simple. #I will have to check out his fiddle tune book. #It seems I can never have to many angles on those tunes even if some of them I already know. #As a side note I too have Butch's 30 fiddle tunes for the Mandolin and it's great!