PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide

Josh_Akins
Dec-20-2007, 8:23pm
Are the mandolin tabs for Rawhide on Alltabs' website accurate to the 1951 Bill Monroe recording or at least close?

This was the only tab I could find where it had an audio that I could slow down to make sure I had all the notes right then speed it back up to 320 bpm.

So, experts, are the tabs correct?

cooper4205
Dec-20-2007, 8:29pm
Here's a pretty good version of Rawhide, it looks pretty close, but I'm at work right now and don't have a mando or recording handy to check.

Rawhide Tab (http://www.users.waitrose.com/~john.baldry/mando/tabgif/rawhid/rawhid.html)

Josh_Akins
Dec-20-2007, 8:32pm
Thanks.

http://www.alltabs.com/mandolin_tabs.php?id=R

I forgot to put that link in the first post. It's in .tef format.

Peter Hackman
Dec-21-2007, 4:53am
Are the mandolin tabs for Rawhide on Alltabs' website accurate to the 1951 Bill Monroe recording or at least close?

This was the only tab I could find where it had an audio that I could slow down to make sure I had all the notes right then speed it back up to 320 bpm.

I assume you want to play it in 2/2, not 4/4. In that case the speed is more like 160 bpm.

The tef files at Mandozine have midis. You can also turn off the tab and get more notated music per page. I think the Monroe version is fairly accurate.

AlanN
Dec-21-2007, 7:41am
There used to be a hand-written, very accurate version on John Baldry's site. I have it somwhere in a book.

Two of my fave versions of this tune by folks other than the composer are by Dempsey Young and Marty Stuart. I don't think Dempsey recorded it on an album, but he demonstrates it on his video. He does a pseudo-crosspick on the B part, that is cool. Marty plays just a few bars of it on his RidgeRunner record called Marty! That record is good and eclectic.

Don Grieser
Dec-21-2007, 8:55am
There was a very good transcription of Rawhide in the old Mandolin World News including the break up the neck. I think the Dawg wrote it out.

Dan Cole
Dec-21-2007, 9:10am
There is one done by Dawg in an old copy of either Pick'in or Frets. That's where I learned it. I forget which issue or mag exactly but I think I still have it.

AlanN
Dec-21-2007, 12:02pm
I'd like to see the Frets one, if anybody can scan and send. We can horse trade.

earthsave
Dec-21-2007, 12:05pm
See if you can get some insight into the right hand technique on this one. That makes all the difference in the song and makes it much easier to play. It's a shuffle like on Bluegrass Breakdown, which allows you to sound fast without having to go overly fast.

mandomedic
Jul-10-2014, 7:28pm

So, experts, are the tabs correct?\

Does anyone know where the song was first performed, outside of the recording studio?

Ky Slim
Aug-06-2014, 3:05pm

It says that this version is Chris Thile at the bottom when I open it in Tabledit.