PDA

View Full Version : 2008: year of the repertoire

jasona
Dec-10-2007, 1:12pm
Hello all,

I've been feeling a lack of direction in my practices and a real incompetence in my jam participation in the past year. I have decided that my dedication to good technique at the expense of learning tunes has been a good idea for a while, but now its really holding me back.

I propose to learn the standard tunes common in jams over the next year or two. Inspired by John Bird's "Tune of the Week" over on CoMando, I wish to make this a participatory activity for those of you who also wish to build a song library or work on some old chestnuts. I will propose a song on a Friday, and then will learn it over the course of the following two weeks. My approach will be to learn a stripped down, bare bones melody in the first week, and in the second learn a variation (for instrumentals) or the lyrics (in the case of one of them singing things). Melody and rhythm playing will get equal treatment.

I also pledge to get out and pick with others as often as possible, working in the new tune whenever possible.

What you can do:

1) Discuss songs for potential adoption in the rotation. I will skew towards songs common in my neck of the woods, but am open to including others (since variety is the spice of life). I am weak in knowing the singing songs in particular since I don't really sing myself (but the folks at my local jam don't accept that as an excuse, so I might as well work on it!).

2) Offer sources of simple melodies and variations. Actually, variations aren't a problem--MandoZine is full of them. The simple melodies are hard to find I've found. So those of you with huge ABC libraries, please share!

3) Links to recordings, self produced versions (say via the Song Project web site, assuming we can set aside part of it for this effort), etc.

I hope others will find this project of mine of use, and in turn I will be kept focused by the enthusiasm of others. Thanks!

First tune will be coming in the new year.

LKN2MYIS
Dec-10-2007, 2:43pm
Great idea! We'll all learn something from the wealth on this board.

Direction and focus - the two biggies for me as well!

Jonathan Peck
Dec-10-2007, 3:11pm
I just had a similar eye opening experience. I just realized that I spend way to much time practicing tunes w/o accompaniment. I don't play along with recorded material nearly enough. While I can play the notes, I want to work more on the feel of the breaks that I know, and get more of that shuffle/fiddle style pulse into my playing.

I put on Kenny Baker plays Bill Monroe and decided that it's time to learn the rest of the tunes on that album as well as some of the fiddle and mandolin breaks as transcribed in the Todd Collins book. Next up, Brown County Breakdown, Road to Columbus and Stoney Lonesome.

LKN2MYIS
Dec-10-2007, 3:46pm
I just realized that I never practice with any accompaniment.

I simply sit and play.

Hmmm. An avenue I need to investigate.

Barb Friedland
Dec-10-2007, 3:51pm
Super idea! This will be helpful to me.

rekx
Dec-10-2007, 5:14pm
Great idea...isn't there someone on this board who is doing something similar to this on their blog?

jasona
Dec-10-2007, 8:39pm
Great idea...isn't there someone on this board who is doing something similar to this on their blog?
No idea. Hadn't heard at any rate.

fwoompf
Dec-10-2007, 10:41pm
I am so 100% in it's not even funny.

Question....if we don't know the tune yet...how are we supposed to learn it? Will you be putting up recordings or tab or somesuch?

jasona
Dec-10-2007, 11:02pm
Was thinking that I would post the tune's name on the first Friday of the new year, and away we would go for the next two weeks. I'd post what resources I had, and hopefully others would chime in with their own versions. I'm looking for the simple melody at the heart of the pro breaks transcribed on MandoZine.

Just a little hint as to the identity of the first tune: Its by Mon, and its in A. :cool:

fwoompf
Dec-10-2007, 11:08pm
Awesome! I don't even think I know any songs in A....I am TERRIBLE at learning songs.

JeffD
Dec-10-2007, 11:10pm
Really cool idea. I went through a period of agressive, rampant tune learning, and I have never regretted it.

Steve Cantrell
Dec-11-2007, 8:34am
This is pretty much what I've been doing but in a round-about way. I started mandolin on fiddle tunes, like most aspiring bluegrassers. Eventually, I found that even the idea of having to play a fiddle tune was about to make me physically ill (call it fiddle tune burnout...or maybe fiddle tuneout). I wanted to keep progressing, so I started trying to learn some of the Monroe breaks to bluegrass standards, but found that I was having a pretty difficult time getting the character of the breaks..Monroe is slippery like that. That's when I started taking lessons with Mike Compton, and that brought things much into focus on that end.

I thought since I had covered so many fiddle tunes, maybe I could go the other way and start learning some country blues, since it seemed like the magical Monroe formula was square dance/fiddle tunes plus country blues. As it turns out, I really had a liking for the stuff and that's been my area of focus for awhile. I still throw in the occasional fiddle tune, but I really wanted a mandolin course of study, not just an approach that says, "Learn the break for 'Little Cabin Home on the Hill' note for note". I think it has rounded me out much more, and when I go back to Monroe maybe it will be a little easier to see where he's coming from. I hear sounds in this stuff all the time that is classic Monroe...just slower.

Adam Tracksler
Dec-11-2007, 8:53am
No idea. Hadn't heard at any rate.
I am. www.mandojam.com

If anyone wants to help out and build an archive with me thats awesome.

I am mixing down 3 tunes tonight for posting.

--ad

earthsave
Dec-11-2007, 12:11pm
Every time I go to a workshop or jam I remember that I do not know many if any fiddle tunes. I mostly play out of position. This might be good for me too, since my practice time is nearly non-existent these days.

rekx
Dec-11-2007, 12:13pm
Yes..atrackler it was your site that I was thinking of.

Jasona...I love your idea. The key to making this work would be to find a forum or website that we could discuss tunes, post links and clips. I think that a google discussion group might work. I couldn't find the song project website you mentioned...

jasona
Dec-11-2007, 1:28pm
The key to making this work would be to find a forum or website that we could discuss tunes, post links and clips.
Well, we have the Cafe for the discussion at least.

Here is the original project page. (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject/message/354) It migrated here. (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/) I could set up a new Yahoo Group and YouTube group to help facilitate discussions, but would really love to keep the chat rolling right here on the Cafe.

fwoompf
Dec-11-2007, 4:57pm
If hosting is an issue, anyone can email me with an mp3 and I can put it on my school webspace...there's plenty of disk space and bandwidth to go around.

LKN2MYIS
Dec-11-2007, 4:58pm
Jason - I agree. I'd like to see it kept here as well.

fiddlingdan
Dec-13-2007, 11:01pm
Bunch of us was doing that on the MusicMoose site using Yahoo in a chat session worked out good would list all of the group on friends and then invite all of them in to the room and chat and play
Dan