PDA

View Full Version : Midnight moonlight

skyblue
Dec-07-2007, 1:03pm
I am curious if any mando players have worked through the Peter Rowan tune, "Midnight Moonlight" from the "Quartet"
album by the Peter Rowan-Tony Rice Quartet...Sharon Gilchrist has an incredible mando solo and Tony Rice has an
equally incredible guitar solo. I recently got a couple dvd
concerts of the quartet and i'm in the beginning stages of trying to catch Sharon's solo. She moves fluidly up and back down the fretboard kind of in a dawgesque solo.
I would appreciate any help from the mando players who are into Peter Rowan's music as well as Sharon's incredible mando playing....Thanks!!!

bradeinhorn
Dec-07-2007, 11:15pm
she probably picked up a couple things from dawg's break from the old and in the way recording of this tune. great tune. Vassar really shines on that one too.

skyblue
Dec-08-2007, 12:01pm
I remember the Old and In the Way version very well but it seems that Sharon took that Dawg solo to another level.
With the absence of banjo and fiddle in the Rowan-Rice Quartet I think that Sharon and Tony both get to stretch out and explore....

luckylarue
Dec-15-2007, 11:01am
If you're near Santa Fe, she's leading a Bluegrass jam today at the Cowgirl. 1 - 4 pm.

Ken Sager
Dec-15-2007, 12:21pm
Oh my... Sharon, Sante Fe, bluegrass jam, a joint named the Cowgirl?

I think Webster's lists this as the definition of heaven.

luckylarue is a fitting name!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

luckylarue
Dec-15-2007, 12:58pm
Yes - thanks to Sharon and many other great local musicians, Santa Fe has quite a little music scene going on.

jtauxe
Dec-19-2007, 11:31am
Hey, luckylarue -
I'd like to hear more about that Santa Fe scene. Up here in nearby Los Alamos, things are fairly quiet (except for the occasional BOOM!) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

luckylarue
Dec-19-2007, 1:55pm
jtauxe - There is a lot of info on Sharon's myspace site or check the "pasatiempo" section in the Friday edition of the New Mexican.

royboy
Dec-19-2007, 2:15pm
anyone got tabs or notations for catfish john
thanks
roy

9lbShellhamer
Dec-29-2015, 7:29pm
If anyone has worked out a tab for Midnight Moonlight I'd love to check it out too. I love that break... seems rooted in arpeggios?