PDA

View Full Version : Fat man, jethro tull

kjbllc
Nov-30-2007, 8:25am
has anyone worked out anything on this song? I am not sure if it is mandolin or balilika (sp.) thanks for any input.

mandocrucian
Nov-30-2007, 1:12pm
Tull....one of my favorite outfits. And, (IMO) in many ways, the most successful (and pleasing) utilization of mando (which still sounds like a "mandolin") in a rock setting.

On the Stand Up album, I'm pretty sure that "Fat Man" is on mando, and "Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square" is balalaika.

However, Tull has done this tune numerous times on recordings through the years, and all of those other versions use the mandolin. Usually it's Ian Anderson playing mando, sometimes in tandem with Dave Pegg. And then, on the live recordings, who is playing the flute when IA is singing? #Martin Barre....the guitarist. (He also plays mando on some Tull tracks.)

Aqualung (remaster w/bonus tracks). #- has a live 1969 BBC version

20 Years of Jethro Tull (box set, disc 1) - also has the 69 BBC

Living With The Past - has a live 1999 version

Extended Versions (a budget live compilation you can find a WalMart for $5.88) - this might be the same recording as the on on Living With The Past, if not, similar. Good arrangement, improves on the original.

Live at XM, 2003 - recorded it off the air broadcast on XM

Though I haven't picked it up yet, the Jethro Tull - Live At Montreux, 2003 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000T9FUZC/ref=dp_olp_2/104-7594662-5371945) DVD has "Fat Man" on the tune list. (If Santa doesn't get it for me, then I'll order it myself.)

I've used this in Rock/Rhythm Mando Workshops. #I've got an arrangement notated/tabbed somewhere. (Not exactly the same as the way they did it). Drop me a line off-forum.

Niles H

Jason Kessler
Dec-01-2007, 10:46am
Not sure what instrument it is, but it's NOT mandolin on the original "Fat Man" from "Stand Up." Sounds much more like a balalaika.

JimRichter
Dec-01-2007, 10:58am
I agree with Niles regarding Tull's use of mandolin. #I've been a long time Tull fan and have always been impressed with the ability of Anderson to interweave acoustic and electric instruments w/o the acoustic instruments losing their unique tonal qualities. #This is especially true of the mandolin. #One of the few other bands that I can think of where mandolin was as successfully used is Fairport Convention.

And, w/o referring to the original Fat Man, I'm sure that it wasn't mandolin, but balalaika (or something comparable). #the instrument had more of a buzzy, sitar like quality to it. #Sounded longer scale, though there probably is a mandolin in there. #but, that's going off memory and not from the source. #But, I know in live versions of the tune, it does seem that Ian most often uses a mandolin, as in a fantastic clip off YouTube I saw recently from around 1980 that was recently removed for copyright violations. #

One of my favorite uses of mandolin in a Tull song is "Christmas Song"--appropriate enough for this time of year. #So my Christmas tiding to all of you is:

When you're stuffing yourselves at the Christmas parties,
you'll just laugh when I tell you to take a running jump.
You're missing the point I'm sure does not need making
that Christmas spirit is not what you drink.

Jim

Andrew Faltesek
Dec-01-2007, 11:04am
Glad to see some other Tull fans out there. I was beginning to think I was alone. Never hear much on the radio, and mention them to the younger set and they look at you with a glazed expression.