PDA

View Full Version : Goober peas

Slim Pickins
Nov-15-2007, 12:24pm
Last time I was down in Mt. Airy NC I heard an old boy singing a song called Goober Peas. Anyone else ever heard it. Know anything about it. Thanks

Weber Bitterroot Custom 2002

1975 D55 Guild Guitar

woodwizard
Nov-15-2007, 12:27pm
Norman Blake does a really cool version of this tune. It has a wonderful mandolin melody. I need to sit down and listen to it again to try to figure it out. Anybody have any Tab of this one? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

hoffmannia2k7
Nov-15-2007, 1:26pm
my girlfriend always whistles this cause her grandma used to sing it

allenhopkins
Nov-15-2007, 2:25pm
Goober Peas is described (by Richard Jackson, Popular Songs of 19th-Century America) as "an anonymous Confederate soldier song that originated and was popular during the Civil War, but apparently was not published until 1866."

The earliest sheet music was published and copyrighted by A.E. Blackmar of New Orleans in 1866. It lists "Words by A. Pindar, Esq./Music by P. Nutt, Esq." Since goobers, pindar nuts and peanuts are all names for the same vegetable, the composer and lyricist pseudonyms were obviously all in fun.

powercat
Nov-15-2007, 11:17pm
Goober Peas is described (by Richard Jackson, Popular Songs of 19th-Century America) as "an anonymous Confederate soldier song that originated and was popular during the Civil War, but apparently was not published until 1866."
Thanks, Allen, for that information. I've always thought it was of Civil War vintage as well. Had a version of this song as a kid that was sung by Burl Ives (not of Civil War vintage :-)). My son and daughters listen to another version on a kids CD in the car...that is when I'm not listening to John Reischman, Butch Baldassari, and etc.

jim simpson
Nov-15-2007, 11:40pm
Goodness, how delicious! We used to sing this in class in grade school.