PDA

View Full Version : Shady grove in dm?

Bigtuna
Oct-23-2007, 8:29am
Could anyone help me with the tab for Shady Grove? I just can't seem to find one that works in Dm for me. Any help or suggestions would be great.

rekx
Oct-23-2007, 8:53am
Do you need help with the break/melody or just with the chord progression? Mandocrucian's "Hot Mandolin Solos" book has an in depth presentation of Shady Grove. I highly recommend that book.

Aran
Oct-23-2007, 11:10am
Hi,

I love it in Dm and spent ages trying to find the tab for it in that key the way grisman and garcia do it.

I ended up buying the book called Shady Grove which is a tab book of all the tunes on the album of the same name by Grisman and Garcia.

There's a guitar version too so you can get one for a picking buddy.

If you find yourself anywhere near Dublin Ireland, I'll show it to you.

You can see me playing it with my brother and his band from France on the video here myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/arans) (By the way I'm not too hot on the mandolin)

Bigtuna
Oct-23-2007, 5:24pm
I was looking for the break/melody. I too have the Shady Grove tab book, but I'm not to sure how to change the mandola tab into mandolin tab. From what I understand, the mandola is more or less tuned like the mandolin at the 5th fret. So, when I find the time I was thinking that I could just transpose it myself. I kinda was hoping someone had done this already. I'm really not sure how to start. Since the mandolin is tuned to G and the mandola to C (I think?), would it be as "easy" as transposing it from C to G using the same chord intervals and minor placement. Thanks, I'm still new at whole music theory thing! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Walter Newton
Oct-23-2007, 5:30pm
All you have to do is play the tab as written but moved over one string! #The mandola is CGDA (one octave lower than a mandolin capoed at the 5th fret) and the mandolin is GDAE - the 3 highest strings on the mandola are the same as the 3 lowest strings on the mandolin. IIRC you'll be able to play just about the whole thing except the notes on the low C string at very end of the transcription.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Oct-23-2007, 6:03pm
Check out the Lomax anthology. I loaned out my copy, never to return (when will I ever learn?), so I can't verify this info, #but I think it was Peggy Seeger's version, Dm, notation, not tab, #BUT it was unique in the fact (as I recall) there was specifically NO third at all in it! Had a great feel and sound. Not a big leap to write your own tab, or just learn it. It's not a complcated song, although there are so many versions that one may speak to you more than others.

rasa
Jonathan Reinhardt