PDA

View Full Version : Would love some feedback

hedding
Oct-22-2007, 8:58pm
Hey Everyone,

I just wrote this tune and my band and I recorded it for a new demo we are making. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

The song is called "Up Above the Timberline" and is available for listening at our myspace page. The last one on the list.

http://www.myspace.com/bluewolfbluegrass

I wrote it originally on the banjo, but played mandolin and banjo on the track and my associate Jerry laid down the dobro and guitar parts.

I have been playing the banjo for just over a year now and the mandolin for a little over two years. I am just scratching the surface as you can tell from listening but it's so much fun I am just having a blast playing.

My favorite part is the guitar break but maybe you all will have different thoughts. Hope you listen. Thanks

Mike

Gene Bragg
Oct-22-2007, 9:15pm
I liked it! Where you liked the guitar break i thought your mando break was pretty clean especially for playing for just 2years. Keep it up. When you cut your CD let us know.

northfolk
Oct-22-2007, 9:26pm
Mighty fine; I like it very much.

mythicfish
Oct-22-2007, 9:53pm
Good effort.

rmcintos
Oct-22-2007, 9:58pm
Sounds real good! Nice and smooth.

mandolooter
Oct-23-2007, 9:20am
it got the dog up! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Kevin Briggs
Oct-23-2007, 9:51am
Sounds great. I really like to feel of it. It moves nicely. Good mando playing!

hedding
Oct-23-2007, 11:14am
hey thanks, I appreciate the nice comments.

I am still rather conflicted over whether I like my mando break on it. I am not sure if I like the "bouncy" feel to it where it seems all the other instruments play it with more of a straight feel. I think I was approaching my speed limit while playing in e flat and it's a little easier to push the limit playing with that bouncy feel. I am not sure if I like it though.

Kevin Briggs
Oct-23-2007, 3:18pm
Listened to it again. I love the melody. It's beautiful. I might even request to be able to play it at our next gig, if you don't mind.

The beginning kind of threw me off a bit with the rhythmic stuff. The banjo, though, more than made up for it. Your rhythm section is tight too.

Bouncy mandolin? Sure it is. Does that work against the song? I don't think so. It flows a bit different than the other three instruments, thats' for sure, but it kind of breaks up all of the fluidity. It seems like it was written either on guitar or banjo? Right?

hedding
Oct-23-2007, 3:38pm
it was originally written on the banjo.

After learning most of Bill Keiths song Clinging Vine I thought to myself, I could probably work up a tune in Eb flat without changing the tuning or using a capo.

This is what came out.

I don't mind if you play it at your next gig as long as you get the name right and maybe say where you got the tune. Other than that I would be honored if someone thought this tune was worthy of playing it at one of their gigs. I just tried to make it simple something that most people could probably play.

Thats what JD and Doyle said made a good instrumental so I tried to listen!