View Full Version : Ddad tunes

mr. pointy
Oct-07-2007, 11:36am
These are the four I'm currently playing in DDAD tuning:

Midnight on the Water
Coleman's March
Bonaparte's Retreat
Cruel Willie

Any suggestions for others? And, if possible, point me to a recorded version of the tune.

Thanks,

Tap

danb
Oct-07-2007, 1:04pm
Whiskey Before Breakfast works nicely
A number or Irish tunes are well suited too, mostly pipe tunes as the Uilleann pipes fit that melodic range very well

mr. pointy
Oct-07-2007, 3:02pm
I should have thought of that one, Dan, as I have both of your CDs. I'm going to start to work it out from listening to your recording.

Also, Dan - I have a technique question - to pinkie or not to pinkie - as a newbie to the OM, about a couple of parts of your version of The Battlemarch Medley, which I really like. Where should I post it?

Thanks,

Tap

danb
Oct-07-2007, 3:52pm
Well I don't set my pinky down. I curl my hand into a light fist (pinky included!) and brush the knuckle in one of three places.. the top, a PG, or the top course of strings if I'm not playing there. My "anchor" is my forearm over the tailpiece usually, that's how I know where I am I suppose.

The Battle March tune is actually the first thing I ever heard OM/bouzouki on.. when listening to "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" by the Pogues, I fell head over heels for that sound http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

danb
Oct-07-2007, 3:55pm
Also- If you like the Irish tunes.. here are some that I like in DDAD

Banish Misfortune
I Buried My Wife and Danced on Top of Her
Jackson's Morning Brush (some high position tricks required)

There are great GDAD-lead tunes on Altan's "The Red Crow", "Harvest Storm".. and Dervish sets have plenty too. That low D usually is pretty safe in most D-tunes in Irish as the pipe range doesn't go below the open D.

Have fun!

mr. pointy
Oct-07-2007, 4:44pm
I knew I didn't phrase my question clearly as soon as I sent it - I actually wanted to know where I should post the question, not my pinkie http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif which I try hard not to post.

Well, as long as I'm on the topic...
specifically in the section after the 1st harmonics, when you fret the B-C#-D ascending on the E-string after the D on the B-string, what fingers do you use?

I've been using the index on the 2nd-string D, then 2nd 3rd 4th (pinkie) to do the B-C#-D, but I just can't get it cleanly and quickly. Probably just need to keep practicing? I've also tried using the 1st 2nd 3rd on those strings, but then I have to move the index finger quickly from the 2nd string to the 1st string, which is also awkward, although the B-C#-D then is much easier and smoother.

Also, on the C-B-A descending on the E string, which fingers (4-3-2 or 3-2-1) are best? I'm a newbie on the OM, but it's a blast to play.

Hopefully, my questions are clear. Thanks again, Dan, for the tune recommendations and advice.

Tap

danb
Oct-07-2007, 4:54pm
Hi Tap,

I used GDAEA tuning on that cut on a 10-string Sobell 21" scale. I'm not sure exactly which bit you're describing there, but the arrangement was put together to take advantage of that particular tuning in several spots.

The harmonics come from the top 3 courses which are AEA, then I have a hammer-on going up the scale there.. basically most of the ornamentation/emphasis are doing hammer-ons to walk up the scale and get a grace note for each true note in the melody

mr. pointy
Oct-07-2007, 6:55pm
A 10-String? Yikes! I've got almost more than enough to figure out with 8. Anyway, I can come close enough to please me on the sound of the tune, when I slow it down, with my OM. And I'm sure I just need to get used to using my pinkie more on the OM than on the mandolin, so lots of practicing to come.

I'll look for recordings of all the DDAD tunes you mentioned, which I wanted for mandolin and not necessarily the OM.

Thanks again,

Tap