Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:41pm
Lincoln County Pardners Boiling Spring N.C. 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:42pm
Mac.Hagaway On Fiddle Opraland 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:43pm
Mike Faylon & Harley Gabbord With Indiana Boys In Fla.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:46pm
My Sister & Helen Cornelius's Bronson Mo. Guarantee old Mon's around close.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:48pm
My Sister & Jean Shepherd Bronson Mo. 80's I think.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:49pm
My Sister & Norma Jean. Bronson Mo. Probably iin the 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:51pm
My Sister Singing Lead with The Mckintyres Band. Probably in Ohio 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:53pm
My Sister With Her Hee Haw Band 80's Played anywhere they would let them play.:))

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 12:55pm
New Coon Creek Girls In Fla Park 1987

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:00pm
New Coon Creek Girls, Heard Pam Perry King center, is now in charge of Music Shows now, At Renfro Valley Ky

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:01pm
Osborne Bros, Unknown Date or location.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:03pm
Pappy Taylor & Dusty Rhodes Unknown date or location.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:05pm
Pappy Taylors Birthday Party, Don't Date or location.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:07pm
Porter Wagoner Unveiling Statue Of String Bean, Had lots of good times with the thin man. RIP Porter.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:09pm
String Bean Bluegrass Festival, Don't remember The Group.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:10pm
Radio Flyers Owensboro Ky. 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:11pm
Ramond Fairchild & Son & Crowe Bros Maggie Valley N.C.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:13pm
Randal Hilton Owensboro Ky. 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:14pm
Rarely Heard Band, Bob Evans Farm Rio Grand Ohio 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:15pm
Riverblend Bluegrass Boiling Springs N.C.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:17pm
Rosie O'grady Band, Bob Evans Farm, Rio Grand Ohio.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:18pm
Ruth, The Can Can Dancer, Bob Evans Farm Rio Grand Ohio.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:20pm
Smoky Mountian Cloggers, Think they were the world champion cloggers.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:22pm
Sis With Snuffy Jenkins & Briarhopper.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:24pm
Terry Johnson Louisville Ky 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:26pm
Don't remember the Band, Somewhere In Nashville.

JEStanek
Jun-17-2009, 1:26pm
Mandolinut2, You can add up to 6 photos per post and describe them within a single post to make it easier for folks to see a number a pictures at once.

These are great. Please keep adding them.

Jamie

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:28pm
Vernon McIntyre band, I think, Don't know date or place.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:31pm
Vernora Mckentire, Applaction Grass Sister did some Singing with them in 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:32pm
Wayne Lewis & Gene Thompson 80's

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:36pm
Big Mon & ? Guess

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:44pm
4 Pictures from the past of my home town. Nothing to do with Picking and grinning, If inappropriate, Please just delete them. Thanks.....Billy

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:46pm
My Home town 1940

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:48pm
My hometown 1940

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:52pm
My Hometown 1940

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 1:55pm
Last but not least, A One Man Band St Agustine Fla. 1980

Scotti Adams
Jun-17-2009, 2:02pm
Terry Johnson Louisville Ky 80's

Ha..Im currently playing in a band with Terry..Coal Train...hes now playing guitar.

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 2:07pm
[QUOTE=JEStanek;679989]Mandolinut2, You can add up to 6 photos per post and describe them within a single post to make it easier for folks to see a number a pictures at once.

These are great. Please keep adding them.

Jamie[/QUOTE
Thank you very much, I'm a newbie and know very little about a puter or the café. I'm sorry, Will try to do better next time. What I learn today will probably be forgotten tomorrow, at my age My feeble mind only works part time, rest of the time it don't work at all:))

Ken Berner
Jun-17-2009, 2:54pm
Mandolinut2, As I stare at your photo of the bank, I fully expect Pretty Boy Floyd to come out the door with a Thompson blazing! Thanks for sharing the pics with us; those were pretty good days.

JEStanek
Jun-17-2009, 4:52pm
Thank you very much, I'm a newbie and know very little about a puter or the café. I'm sorry, Will try to do better next time. What I learn today will probably be forgotten tomorrow, at my age My feeble mind only works part time, rest of the time it don't work at all:))

No worries. When you add a reply and click the Go Advanced button you're already using the paperclip to add one photo. Just use the next browse down to find the next one and so on. Then click the upload button and when completed you can exit the attachment window and enter the text you want for the photos.

Those old photos are a treasure.

Jamie

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 9:00pm
Ken,The short fellow you see walking with the other guy down the sidewalk by the Bank, is still alive and well, Couple days ago, He walked almost, 2 miles from his home to A Restaurant, around the corner,thats just ahead of them in the picture. I ate breakfast there with him. He will be 100 years old in August. I Gave him a ride home, on the way he had me stop at the local bootleggers place and he got himself a 5th of 101 proof wild turkey whiskey. he said he had never been sick a day in his life, and alleged it was because he always had a drink before he went to bed. Beat that one, Ken if you can.
Those were the good old days for sure.....Billy

Mandolinut2
Jun-17-2009, 9:27pm
Mandolinut2, As I stare at your photo of the bank, I fully expect Pretty Boy Floyd to come out the door with a Thompson blazing! Thanks for sharing the pics with us; those were pretty good days.
Ken, The short fellow walking just past the Bank in light colored clothes ,hat, is still alive and well. I Ate breakfast with him couple days ago, He will be 100 yrs. old in August. He said, "He was Never sick a day in his life" God Has Sure Blessed Him.

Mandolinut2
Jun-18-2009, 7:47pm
Bill Monroe with my sister, Augusta ky, in the mid 80's
My first try at posting a picture, hope it works. Correcting should have read Augusta Ky.

Paul Kotapish
Jun-19-2009, 12:21pm
My Hometown 1940

Great photos, Mandolinut2. Thanks for posting.

Those four old shots of your home town are particularly compelling. What--and where--is your home town?

Mandolinut2
Jun-21-2009, 8:49pm
My home town is Manchester, Ky. It Really hasn't changed much.

jim simpson
Jun-24-2009, 10:31pm
Early 70's - we called ourselves The Togary Mountain Boys.

Scotti Adams
Jul-30-2009, 8:52am
Heres a couple I dug up..the first was at BeanBlossom..had to be the early
80's...some band asked me to help them in the band contest...Butch Robbins help as well I believe. The old brain isnt as sharp as it once was..I do remember we won. I was playing my Luke Thompson there..Bob Green ownsit now.

The second was in the early 80's as well in Franklin Ohio..the heads of the fester asked if we could fill a hole in the line-up..so we got some guitar player to help out.

GTison
Aug-04-2009, 3:19pm
Here's a picture of Doyle Wright with Bill Monroe. Doyle was a Bluegrass Boy after Lester Flatt. He grew up partly near my home town of Bonifay Florida. My mother wrote a newspaper article about him several years ago. He has since passed away. Here is the photo he gave my mother. You can see it here first.

mando-picker
Sep-27-2009, 7:44pm
Darryl, Man these photo's bring back a lot of mememories, I was at a lot of these festivals back then. In the photo #36 the guy standing behind skaggs is wes golding( my cousin) that played with a lot of the men in all of the photos. Man that was good times then . THANKS for the memories

Darren Bailey
Oct-06-2009, 2:46pm
Darryl, thank you for sharing those pictures, I found a lot of pleasure looking at them and thinking about how time has passed.

Darryl Wolfe
Oct-12-2009, 2:08pm
Thanks guys

Pete Hicks
Dec-08-2009, 5:26pm
That was fantastic! You even have a shot of Buzz Busby. Any ckark Kessinger?
Thank you so much!

Roger Kunkel
May-31-2010, 9:03pm
Bill Monroe with Bill Harrell and Don Reno..Ohio 1968

Great pics! Would love to see them all in a book.

Steve Cantrell
Jun-01-2010, 10:38am
Agreed on that, and would love to see some more contributions to this thread from whoever out there might have some old photos floating around. Great stuff, no doubt.

Scotti Adams
Oct-07-2010, 8:23am
Not sure of the year...

tree
Oct-07-2010, 8:38am
Those are some fine photos, Scotti!

Matteo
Oct-07-2010, 10:36am
Not sure of the year...

Since the first photo shows a very young David Parmley with his father Don and Randy Grahams (the Bluegrass Cardinals), and Marty Stuart being in Lester Flatt's band, the photos must date somewhere between 1974 to 1978.
Matt.

mandopete
Oct-07-2010, 10:53am
Who is the woman with the guitar?

Scotti Adams
Oct-07-2010, 11:00am
Who is the woman with the guitar?

That would be Vince Gill

f5loar
Oct-07-2010, 1:21pm
That's likely Vince Gil when with the Bluegrass Alliance circa. 1974/75. From there he went to play bass with Boone Creek.

45ACP-GDLF5
Oct-07-2010, 1:55pm
One of the very few times that Mr. Monroe was onstage without his hat...

re simmers
Oct-07-2010, 1:55pm
What ever became of Vince? I guess he had to get a day job like the rest of us, huh?

Bob

grassrootphilosopher
Oct-08-2010, 2:28am
What ever became of Vince? I guess he had to get a day job like the rest of us, huh?

Bob

Hmmm, not knowing if you´re joking let me post two videos here:

WK3FRZkuwv0

MRiXS1EfSuc

The guitar solo on the first one is extra tasty.

The Vince Gill pic reminded me of Lester Flatt´s "I Can´t Tell the Boys From The Girls". The pic gives a whole new meaning to the current "metrosex" fashion clarification.

Nolan
Nov-02-2010, 12:15pm
Somce pics I found on the world wide web....

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-04-2010, 5:53am
I love the pic.of Ronnie & Donna Stoneman. I still have the old LP "Ernest V.Stoneman & The Stoneman Family" with "Gal From Galax" on it. That's one to try out some time. It knocked my sock of years back,probably still will,
Ivan:cool:~:>

Nolan
Dec-20-2010, 1:37pm
Do these count as pics from the past? It was back in Wintergrass 1994. Mr Monroe really took a liking to my friends Mom, Sarah Hawthorne. Man... I'd love to get a chance to hold that mandolin!
You can read the whole story here.
http://www.msmusings.com/archive100/108/Real,%20wintergrass.htm

mtucker
Mar-14-2011, 1:06pm
Glad Scott reminded us of these great pics. Even Hoss looks young in this pic, Darryl.

Vernon Hughes
Mar-14-2011, 8:15pm
Bobby Sloane on fiddle..

Vernon Hughes
Mar-14-2011, 8:25pm
John Glik on fiddle..

Scott Tichenor
Mar-21-2011, 9:32pm
The Grand Ole Opry sent out a press release about a new backstage bluegrass area that I'll insert in below. Couple of great old photos included in it I thought appropriate to this thread.

---------

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (March 21, 2011) Bluegrass music has made its mark on the Grand Ole Opry stage for more than 50 years, and now the musical genre fathered by Bill Monroe has a permanent place backstage at the Opry, as well. Dressing Room Number 2 at the Opry House is now the “Bluegrass Room,” adorned with photos of current Opry member bluegrass artists as well as favorite photos from the Opry’s past. The room features armless chairs to better foster backstage rehearsals and picking parties as well as alternating floor finishes, a nod to string instrument frets.

The room renovation was part of a $20 million rebuilding/refurbishment project following last May’s disastrous Nashville flood, during which four feet of water engulfed the Opry stage and backstage area.

In addition to the Bluegrass Room, 17 other new dressing rooms showcase other music styles, iconic Opry artists, and important events in Opry history. Other backstage additions include an Opry Member Gallery honoring each of the more than 150 members throughout Opry history, displays of Opry member stage clothing and other archives, and a Green Room/Opry Family Room showcasing photographs of seminal Opry moments.

Fans can get a glimpse of the Opry House backstage area via photos and videos at opry.com and can get a first-hand look backstage during guided backstage tours seven days a week. To plan an Opry visit, call (800) SEE-OPRY or visit opry.com.

---------------

Name the stars. I recognize all but the guy in the middle in the back.

http://www.opry.com/img/PressReleaseImages/Bluegrass-Photo_fullsize.jpg

One of the many photos on display in the Bluegrass Room: Opry stars Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs near the front of the Martha White Bluegrass Express. Josh Graves is in the last bus window.

http://www.opry.com/img/PressReleaseImages/Bluegrass-Bus_fullsize.jpg

RichieK
Mar-21-2011, 10:25pm
Looks like Bill Yates to me.

f5loar
Mar-22-2011, 12:25am
That's Bill Yates for sure but why is he there in the photo? He had already been with both Monroe and Martin by the time this photo was taken ( mid 70's I think) and he should have been with the Country Gentlemen by this time. Maybe just hanging out backstage while the Gents were not on the road?
In the bus photo that is the 2nd Martha White Express. Standing on the ground are the two officials from Martha White Co. and behind them standing in the door of the bus is Earl. First window is Lester and the 2nd window is that Comedy guy from the Mercury LP cover "Country Music" I forget his name but I'm thinking it was Benny Sims who also played fiddle with them in the early days.

Al Bergstein
Mar-22-2011, 11:00pm
John Duffy..Charlie Waller..Ohio 1968

Oh my...wish I was there and not in Chicago!

f5loar
Mar-22-2011, 11:59pm
Well I had to sleep on who is the comedy guy in the 2nd window of the bus. It's not Benny Sims but it is none other then the great often forgotten "Kentucky Slim" aka Charles Elza from the Elza Mountains of Kentucky. He would do a comedy/dance routine with the Foggy Mtn. Boys but was paid by Martha White as part of the show. With it being the 2nd bus and Slim on there and Uncle Josh on board it would date the photo to around 1958.

Scott Tichenor
Mar-23-2011, 11:20am
Here's a comment from this photo pasted on Facebook:

I suspect the gent in the back is Hairl Hensley....longtime WSM radio personality, Opry announcer and great friend to bluegrass.

Spencer
Mar-23-2011, 4:54pm
FYI I found a picture of a young Hairl Hensley on the web (Always thought it was Harold :redface: ).

Hairl Hensley link (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UPPOli6SK9c/TR5j_DsI2mI/AAAAAAAABtI/tOvOO_hHAjs/s1600/08+Hairl+Hensley.jpg)

There are a bunch of pictures of Bill Yates and the Country Gentlemen in this YouTube offering:

Country Gentlemen video/pictures (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ5W_xzz65U)

Spencer

Scotti Adams
Mar-24-2011, 7:01am
Blast from the past. Follows Camp Festival, Azusa, CA, 1990. L-R, front row, Shawn Watkins, Sara Watkins, Gabe Witcher, Chris Thile. Back Row, Byron Berline's Dad, Byron, Alison Krauss, Unknown, Tim Stafford. Byron said they had to come out in the campground after the show and hear these kids... :)

Ole Joe Clark
Apr-30-2011, 8:28am
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/SwaneeRiverBoys-1.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/SwaneeRiverBoys2.jpg

While looking at old family photos last night we came across this postcard. The photo quality is poor, it looks to be from about 1941. I know where Howle & Turner's Store was, (I remember it as a kid), but know nothing about the people shown. Maybe someone here can shed some light on the groups shown.

Psyberbilly
May-19-2011, 7:46pm
Bluegrass Album Band at Will Rogers Ausitorium in '82 or '83 . What a SHOW ! Davis & Co. opened the show ( Greg Davis on banjo and a young , but already VERY salty Brad Davis on guitar.)

Psyberbilly
May-19-2011, 7:58pm
Emmylou Harris at The Paladium in Dallas , Texas . 1983

Psyberbilly
May-19-2011, 8:02pm
Ricky Skaggs at the Reo Palm Isle , Longview , Texas , 1982

Doug Knecht
May-29-2011, 4:07am

Alison Krauss and Union Station and me playing banjo, around 1985.

Dobe
Jun-01-2011, 3:36pm
Just found this thread, nice stuff!

~ 1990 - Colorado pickers will recognize Danny Elmore- Co-Founder of The Millsite Jam and Mark Vaughn (R.I.P.) former Leftover Salmon Banjo. Thanks to Nicole Elmore - swiped from her FBook page. I miss Danny & Buck !

:(

:mandosmiley:

woodwizard
Jun-10-2011, 5:56pm
Here's an old 1941 picture of an Ole' gent doing some clogging in Stone County Arkansas. That's Jimmy Driftwood on the archtop guitar. This was well before Jimmy Driftwood got the Mountain View Folk festival going. You can see an old mandolin in the background and take a look at Jimmy's fretting hand. Sure looks like they were having fun!

Scotti Adams
Jul-29-2011, 4:37am

baptist mando55
Sep-11-2011, 11:15pm
was that the old barn. the one that fell in. sadly as of acouple of years ago it closed down sorry saw a picture from mineral springs music barn several pages back didnt know how to tie together page 9 or 10

Psyberbilly
Jan-25-2012, 2:48pm
Here's an old 1941 picture of an Ole' gent doing some clogging in Stone County Arkansas. That's Jimmy Driftwood on the archtop guitar. This was well before Jimmy Driftwood got the Mountain View Folk festival going. You can see an old mandolin in the background and take a look at Jimmy's fretting hand. Sure looks like they were having fun!

I see that they have a double bladed hickory handled axe handy in case someone feels like breaking out the banjo !!!

Spencer
Jan-30-2012, 2:47pm
These are not my pictures, but somebody on COMANDO or BGRASS-L posted this link recently. There are a lot of pictures from Indian Ranch in 1972.

Link to 1972 Indian Ranch Pictures (http://frobbi.org/slides/cg1972/index.html)

Spencer

Scotti Adams
Mar-11-2012, 9:13am
Another blast from the past

mandopete
Mar-11-2012, 3:23pm
Another blast from the past

Nice photo Scotti!

I was listening to the Grascals on Sirius XM the other day and I thought about you when they started talking about Harley and what a great songwriter he was. I have to agree 100% on that one!

Scotti Adams
Mar-12-2012, 7:46am
Thanks Pete. Yes Harley was the best in my eye. Once you was able to get into his inner circle...he was a very private person...you had a friend for Life. He texted me a week before he passed. I never realized how ill he had become. It was a week later that his brother Greg called me to inform me that he had been taken from the hospital as he requested to pass amongst his love ones at home. This all happened so quickly. I go back and look at You Tube videos taken just a year before he died...I could see the effects of his illness in his face and esp. his signing....not in his wit tho. May you RIP Brother...we all miss you.

mandopete
Mar-12-2012, 1:59pm
Well, I guess there's still a few of us "old-timers" still here on cafe, eh!

;)

Funny, there was a song I picked up a long time ago called Suzanne. I got it from Ashby Frank's solo recording back when he was kid. We used to play it quite bit at jam sessions around here and a couple friends of mine from Canada really loved the song. It was only after Harley died that I realized he wrote the song. I went back and looked a little further at the liner notes of a lot of the bluegrass recordings I had and saw that name more than several times. You were very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with him!

tree
Mar-14-2012, 8:00am
Smithsonian Folkways' Classic Bluegrass double cd includes a version of Suzanne by the Allen-Lilly Band. Mike Lilly ROCKs the banjo on that, very tasty pickin'. Scotty sings a nice baritone and picks the mandolin also. Nice song.

Jim Yates
Jun-06-2012, 11:43pm

These are from the 1964 Mariposa Folk Festival in Maple Leaf Stadium in Toronto. The workshop photo shows Rev Gary Davis, Gordon Lightfoot, Mississippi John Hurt and Tom Kines. The mainstage photo is the Greenbriar Boys. Frank Wakefield - mandolin, John Herald - guitar, Winnie Winston - banjo and I believe Eric Weisberg was on bass. I think there was also a fiddle player (Jim Buchanan?)

woodwizard
Jun-24-2012, 10:56pm
I think this is a great pic

Dobe
Nov-24-2012, 12:57pm
Rosa Lee Watson Passes - R.I.P.
article: http://www.hcpress.com/news/rosa-lee-watson-passes-away-on-thursday-towards-heaven-she-rises-to-be-with-doc-and-merle.html

Dobe
Dec-22-2012, 2:51pm
Some old buds, 'The Pumps' ; thanks for posting Nolan (Dobro), Keeley (guitar), Glenn (bass), and some mando picker, I think his name's Drew.

Benski
Mar-02-2013, 3:07pm
Sam and I sometime around 1968 or 9

Darryl: is the instrument Sam is holding the mando that we will all come to know as Hoss?

Great pics...thanks for sharing them.

Cjfreelancer
Nov-06-2013, 9:23am

Cjfreelancer
Nov-06-2013, 9:29am

Cjfreelancer
Nov-06-2013, 9:32am

Cjfreelancer
Nov-06-2013, 9:38am

"A new broom is nice but the old broom knows where the dirt is."______©1999. Cjfreelancer

https://www.facebook.com/cjfreelancer

J.Albert
Nov-07-2013, 12:29am
Anyone recognize this guy?
(Escoheag, Rhode Island, June 15, 1975)

AlanN
Nov-07-2013, 8:12am
Looks like Barry Mandolin on the Mitterhoff.

Cjfreelancer
Nov-07-2013, 9:39am

Shrtbull
May-15-2014, 10:11pm

Rush Burkhardt
Jul-28-2014, 8:51am
Del with Jon Glik on the fiddle and Mike Garris, bass. Sorry can't help on the others!

Thanks for all these great photos, Darryl! I'm late to the party, but really enjoying them...have to break out my own soon!
:popcorn:

dscullin
Jul-28-2014, 11:52am
This was taken in June 1967 at the first Beanblossom Festival. A trio of heavyweights!

J.Albert
Jul-29-2014, 7:26pm
Corinth Bluegrass Festival, 1979

woodwizard
Jul-29-2014, 9:31pm
122076Throwback :) of me before the gray set in :)

Ky Slim
Sep-30-2014, 2:03pm

MandoJason
May-01-2015, 3:15pm
Darryl, thank you for posting all this amazing history! wow, too cool! I am entering the market for a Loar (if I can convince myself its worth selling off a couple other mandos!)...these photos really got me drooling... and looking at my finances!
very informative, thank you!
jason

Coffee Guy
Oct-06-2015, 10:45am
139260 This is my grandpa "Ted Lunsford" and my great uncles. Uncle "Piers" is the one with the mandolin circa 1928. He is the cranky looking one in the overalls 5th in from the left with the guitar.

Charles E.
Oct-06-2015, 7:02pm
Coffee Guy, Nice photo. Do you know who the guy holding the National Tricone Tenor guitar is? Where was the photo taken?

Timbofood
Oct-06-2015, 8:01pm
I do love how these pictures keep coming up!
Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Coffee Guy
Oct-07-2015, 11:35am
Coffee Guy, Nice photo. Do you know who the guy holding the National Tricone Tenor guitar is? Where was the photo taken? This photo was taken in Indiana outside the family home after they moved there from Burning Springs Kentucky. I do believe that is my great uncle Kurt. he was long passed before I was born.

Bogle
Sep-08-2016, 8:22am
Wow....the last post here was 11 months ago! Well, here's a photo from (best as I can recall) Spring 1984 of my old group Stoney Point. We played throughout California and the West for many years, doing our best to keep traditional Bluegrass alive. Pictured left to right is the late, great Dean Trammell on fiddle, my old friend of over 46 years years Craig Wilson (builder of those amazing Wilson mandolins & 'dolas!), Peter Berger with the bass, myself on the old D-18, and Phil Mino (arguably the most avid Doug Dillard fan on the planet). This concert took place in Bakersfield at Stockdale Music....notice the Bill Monroe "Ibanez" poster between Dean and Craig!

hnicoleanderson
Apr-01-2018, 9:38pm
Me with my Western Maryland relations. :)166417

Explorer
Apr-01-2018, 10:01pm
Me with my Western Maryland relations. :)166417

Hmm... I gotta say, I don't remember things looking that way around Garrett County. How far west?

DataNick
Apr-25-2018, 1:25pm
Thread Bump: I'm sure this pic has been posted either here or on another thread, but I've never seen the quality of this pic like this one I just got permission to share; enjoy!

DataNick
Apr-25-2018, 1:28pm
...or this one

DataNick
Apr-25-2018, 1:31pm
...last one for now...

DataNick
Apr-25-2018, 1:57pm
..OK so I lied, had to post this classic!

grassrootphilosopher
Apr-26-2018, 3:40am
Thread Bump: I'm sure this pic has been posted either here or on another thread, but I've never seen the quality of this pic like this one I just got permission to share; enjoy!

Well known picture, great quality. It´s nice to see the Lloyd Loar without broken scoll, gouged peghead and with a strap tied to the headstock.

...or this one

Again great picture post barber shop.

..OK so I lied, had to post this classic!

The propeller inlays give this away as the F-7. Where may that one be now? And where may that Gibson ´36 Jumbo be? Great guitars.

FLATROCK HILL
Apr-26-2018, 5:20pm
So the headstock scroll was broken sometime between Stringbean and Scruggs.?.

grassrootphilosopher
Apr-27-2018, 2:52am
So the headstock scroll was broken sometime between Stringbean and Scruggs.?.

I wouldn´t know. Here´s what we know:

Stringbean saw the F-5 with the scroll intact.

Earl saw the F-5 with the scroll broken off.

It could be that...
- the scroll broke off when String was in the band,
- it broke off when Earl was in the band,
- it broke off inbetween.

I think I read somewhere that Mr. Monroe kept the broken part until it got missing in action.

What I do know (trusting Sonny Osborne´s tale) is that Big Mon scratched the finish and gouged the inlay out when Sonny Osborne was a Bluegrass Boy (being around 16 years of age back then and having recorded Pike County Breakdown).

Mando Mort
May-08-2018, 6:18am
Nice seeing those old pictures...documentation of an era in bluegrass history. Could be put into book format with some notes and commentary.

Timbofood
May-14-2018, 9:06am
You know, I somehow got away from this thread for a while, those last three shots are so great! From both the historical and photographic standpoint. The last one, just shows how much styles have changed, I actually think there is no more “interesting style” of dress that Mr. Monroe ever “Owned” more. If the boots weren’t so blasted expensive, I’d outfit my band that way!!
I suppose I’d need an F-7 to better carry it off though wouldn’t I?

mandocanoe
Aug-05-2018, 12:14pm
Been meaning to scan and post for a while. I combined a couple of photos from one of the Redgate festivals just north of Knoxville from the late 1970's. J. D. Crowe et al. Brings back some memories.170029

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-20-2019, 3:01pm
Here you go

Timbofood
Apr-21-2019, 8:14am
That’s a FABULOUS shot Darryl! Where? When? There is a whole generation out there that probably has no idea who some of those guys are!
How young James is!

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-30-2019, 9:17am
not sure when or where Appears late 60's