PDA

View Full Version : HOW MANY DO YOU OWN?

Hal Loflin
Jul-22-2005, 9:17pm
I am curious as to how many mandolins are enough and of all that you own which one is your favorite? If we get enough responses to this thread I will sort the data and post the numbers (averages, styles, etc.).

Here are mine (all F style):

1. 2004 Weber Yellowstone Custom
2. 1996 Flatiron Artist (Montana)
3. 2005 Eastman MD 615
4. 1974 Alvarez (Not sure of the model number)

Favorite: 1996 Flatiron

RichM
Jul-22-2005, 9:32pm
1. Old Wave c#
2. Breedlove KF
3. Morris A-4
4. 1908 Gibson A-4
5. Eastman MD-504
6. Hodson Djangolin
7. Epiphone Mandobird
8. Triggs A-5
9. Eastman MD-615
10. Rigel A+ Deluxe

Favorite: I like 'em all. It's a nice variety of tones. I probably play the Breedlove the most, as it has the best feel to me. The Old Wave probably has the best bluegrass tone, the Triggs the most complex.

John Flynn
Jul-22-2005, 9:49pm
1. Old Wave A Oval blacktop - my all-around fave by far
2. Rigel A+ Deluxe - most playable mando ever
3. Parsons Flat-top - a great beater and at $250, the best mando deal I have ever run across
4. Mederios Travel Mandolin - best travel mandolin there is, packs in a suitcase, logged many thousands of miles with it

357mag
Jul-22-2005, 9:58pm
1-Tyler Mountain F-TMM60
2-MK Firefly
3-Soon to be MK Classic
Dont have a favorite yet. Im still pretty new to this.

(Wow! You guys have some pretty nice stuff.)

Tim Conroy
Jul-22-2005, 9:58pm
1. 198? Triplett F (label has beer or tears spilled on it, can't make out the date)
2. 2002 Kentucky KM 150S
2. 2004 Gibson A-9
3. 2005 National M-1 resonator

At the moment, the National is my favorite, but that's mostly because I just got it today. Loud, loud, loud, much too loud for how badly I play. But the tone is not what I expected from a resonator- still sounds like a wooden instrument, not a hubcap. In my decidedly amateur opinion, National really got this one right.

They're all great- the Gibson for its playability and sound, the Kentucky for its ability to go to beach bonfires and grungy campsites, the Triplett for its sound, its suave F-style blacktop looks and because it was my first, and the National because it's my next.

Long live MAS!

omegaman
Jul-22-2005, 10:27pm
This is my first post and I bought my first mandolin last week at Rudy's in NY. It is a Rigel A+ Supreme in "custom burst" or so says the receipt. Not even sure what it all is yet, but she sure is purty and sure is fun to learn. It's really all very new to me, learning from the Mel Bay book for beginners, so I guess you could put me in the ultra newbie category.

banjomanva
Jul-22-2005, 10:42pm
I have 3

1. MK Legacy Evolution
2. Fender A model
3. Dixon A model

MK is my favorite by far, but the dixon has a wonderful chop. The fender is loud, and has a far louder chop than ANY other mandolin I have ever played, but it doesn't have great tone when playing a lead.

Guitar Jeremy
Jul-22-2005, 10:43pm
1. #Michael Kelly Legacy O
# # --Sold It
2. #Mid-Missouri M-4
3. #Phoenix Bluegrass
4. #HDTV
# # --Keeping my fingers crossed I'll have the bread together by Christmas
5. #?
# # --An Eastman F or if I'm really blessed an Arches A is in my future...

RichM
Jul-22-2005, 10:56pm
I bought my first mandolin last week at Rudy's in NY. It is a Rigel A+ Supreme in "custom burst"
Hey, Omegaman, I played that Rigel at Rudy's! That's a righteous mandolin. If that's your starter mandolin, you're off to a great start!

Ken Sager
Jul-22-2005, 11:03pm
How many? Too many.
Which is my favorite? This one, right here, in my lap.

Tiderider
Jul-22-2005, 11:26pm
One pos gibson A9....unfortunately it's my favourite.

omegaman
Jul-22-2005, 11:34pm
Hey, Omegaman, I played that Rigel at Rudy's! That's a righteous mandolin. If that's your starter mandolin, you're off to a great start!
Cool Rich. Thanks! It was blind to a degree, but Gordon over there was helpful. Took a Weber home first and brought it back the next day and got this instead. The Weber had a small finish chip on the f-hole. I am glad I upgraded, now I'll never look back!? She has an Englemann top by the way. Here's a pic of what you played; sorry about the weak lighting, it's really more purple/violet than the pic shows:

http://raymondlevine.com/files/jeff/myguitars/rigel/rigelfull.JPG

http://raymondlevine.com/files/jeff/myguitars/rigel/rigelback.JPG

http://raymondlevine.com/files/jeff/myguitars/rigel/rigelheadstock.JPG

fatt-dad
Jul-22-2005, 11:52pm
Being tempted to take inventory, here goes:

pre-Gibson Flatiron A5-1
pre-Gibson Flatiron 1N
1920 Gibson A3 (whiteface)
Stiver A
Romanian/Korean-type Montana (my beach mandolin)
Framus a-type looking thing (gift)
Hondo A with an oval hole (at work)
Taterbug (wall hanger)
and. . . . ALL THESE (shameless plug) (http://home.comcast.net/~fatt-dad/mando4sale.html)
Aria M-300 two point
Alvarez oval hole two point
Alvarez A-400 (Martin Clone)
Kentucky KM-160
Ibanez Blonde finish A
Ibanez Distressed finish A
Kalamazoo Army-Navy style

Needless to say, the first four are my keepers. #For the normal evening, I grab my 1N the most (right now). #I love both my Flatiron and my Stiver A and can't quite figure out which is better, why I need both, or if I'll ever sell either - oh well. #There is quite a history with me and the old Gibson, so it stays also. #No matter what I say about those though, when I'm at the beach, my Montana is my favorite - I mean don't we all need something to get sand on?

f-d

jasona
Jul-22-2005, 11:59pm
Just one, and its my favourite!

Tim Conroy
Jul-23-2005, 12:04am
Four. I have four.

Really, I can count to four.

There.

JimRichter
Jul-23-2005, 12:21am
Have one mando, a Kimble two point, though this will probably change to a Kimble F5 sometime in the future.

I bought my 7 yo an '83 Flatiron 3M (can't remember the designation w/o looking), but's the Army Navy style but with a very nice flamed maple back and sides. So if I include my son's, I've got 2.

Jim

Professor PT
Jul-23-2005, 12:51am
Here they are, in the order I purchased them:

(1) Fender A style--not bad for $130 to start on.
(2) 1950-ish Kay A style--Goodwill buy at $30. #Pretty much firewood but looks good hanging on the wall next to my old piano. #
(3) MK Firefly F--sounds good for what I paid( $530 ). #I sold it, but the neck broke in transit. The UPS claim paid me $800, so I actually made money on this one. It's still sitting in my closet waiting to be repaired. #It sounded good; I played it next to Weber F styles, and the tone was very comparable.
(4) Gibson F-9--bought for $1600 during the Guitar Center closeout. #I just fell in love with the tone. #I play the spit out of this thing, and it just keeps getting sweeter. #I had read( and still read ) all the Gibson bashing here on the cafe and was prepared to be underwhelmed, but this mandolin is really just in another league compared to my previous purchases. #What I'm afraid of next is when/ if I play mandolin that is that much better than the F-9. #So far, after playing a lot of different expensive ones at Buffalo Bros., the only thing that sounds as good to me is a Collings. #

MAS has subsided for now--I just have to keep away from any photos of Brentrups. #I look at those and start thinking, well, if I sold all my mandolins, and my guitars, and my first born son...

FrankenMouse
Jul-23-2005, 12:58am
Having foolishly sold my 1925 Martin A, I have four remaining:

1. 1914 Gibson A1. Refinished poorly, so I sanded most of the finish off. Especially the drips. Fabulous player's mando. Enjoy it every day, take it everywhere. (Well... everywhere I can play a mando.)

2. 1914 Gibson F4 Blackface. Gorgeous in every respect, but too nice to take anywhere. Gently played at home.

3. Breedlove Quartz KF. Well-made mando, but I never bonded with it.

4. Horrible Junker of Unknown Origin. Possibly a 60's or 70's Kent? Good for camping in very bad weather. Also useful for strengthening fingers. Not worth selling, as I already have enough enemies. Secretly planning ways to put it out of its misery.

grandmainger
Jul-23-2005, 4:13am
2. 1914 Gibson F4 Blackface. Gorgeous in every respect, but too nice to take anywhere. Gently played at home.
I remember this one from a post here a while back. To this day, it's still the most beautiful mandolin I've seen... So tell me, where do you live, which kind of alarm do you have, and when's your next holiday http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

My 2:
- Arches (http://www.archesmusic.com/backsidegal.htm) Flattop, blacktop, #14.
- Driftwood (http://www.driftwoodmandolins.com/Mandolin014.html) F, #14 also.

They are too different to pick a favourite. I play celtic and old-time on the Arches, jazz/blues and the rest on the Driftwood. They get about 50% of my play each.

I also have a as-yet-completely-unplayable kit mandolin. Not finished yet... I'll finish it soon... course I will!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
Germain

Pedal Steel Mike
Jul-23-2005, 4:27am
Two rigels A+ Deluses (Deluxi?) one of which has an oval sound hole, and a Korean cheapie called VENSON that's actually pretty decent. The venson is solid mahogany, not a laminate.

I will be buying an Epiphone Mandobird in 2 days.

I also have an unplayable but pretty piece of junk I use as a wall decoration. Does that count?

bluegrassjack2
Jul-23-2005, 6:09am
1. - Kentucky KM250S
2. - The Bluegrass - Custom made by guy in W. Va. Great mandolin.

billkilpatrick
Jul-23-2005, 6:41am
i have two:

- a crafter m-70 acoustic/electric

... and will soon be getting:

- an m-4 mid-missouri

i expect the mid-missouri will become my favorite.

and ...

i ain't gonna' buy no-more, no-more,
ain't gonna' buy no more.
ain't gonna' buy no-more, no-morrrrrreee ...
ain't gonna' buy no more.

stefeb
Jul-23-2005, 6:42am
1. Mid-Mo M3
2. Breedlove Cascade

I play the Breedlove 80% of the time. It's new (1 month old), and I'm waiting for it to open up.

At the moment though, I'd have to say I like the sound of the Mid-Mo better.

bjc
Jul-23-2005, 7:02am
don't have vintage colection, but what I lack in quality I make up for in quanity:-)
1. Goldtone GM-70 (probably going to sell her soon to a good home since she like BG better than I do)
2. MK Legacy O
3. Freshwater
4. MK A solid (the mando for work)
5. Trinity College Mandola
6. Johnson Octave Mando (hope to upgrade to a Freshwater soon)
7. Mandobird (probablly be selling this one as well because I got...)
8. Mann 5 string electric mando

My fav? Depends on what I'm playing...the Freshwater sound great amplified and works well with the classical stuff I do, but when acoustic volume count the MK Legacy O rocks and of course anytime I'm playing with a drummer I get out the Mann.

arbarnhart
Jul-23-2005, 7:16am
Well, I learned on a Rogue A that is still in the house because it really belongs to my kids. I bought a Washburn oval hole A for myself that I play most of the time. I also built an OM that didn't turn out as well as hoped, but I did get it stringable and play it some while contemplating its fate (top caved in). I also have a mando kin "slide banjimer thing" I built that has 3 courses of 2 strings tuned DAE an octave lower than mando with a 6" drum head (another home built experiment that has been morphed a couple of times). I finally ordered the Siminoff book and perhaps an F is in my future. I also buit a tenor guitar for one of my daughters that I have tuned like an OM and I play it every now and then.

8ch(pl)
Jul-23-2005, 7:33am
1 Mid Missouri M4 (Rosewood) with Cumberland Acoustics armrest, Weber cast tailpiece and home made ebony pickguard.

2 Samick A SM 20 model

Mostly play the Mid Missouri and it is my favorite.I keep the Samick for back up - when the M4 is in shop, when I need to loan a mandolin, take to work or when I want a different sound.

jim_n_virginia
Jul-23-2005, 7:34am
hmmm I must be the oddball or something because I started out with a cheap Pac-Rim mandolin and as my skills progressed I upgraded mandolins over the years and I sold the one I was playing and acquired one which I thought was a little better each time.

Went from Rover to Harmony flatop to Mid-Mo to Flatiron A Style to finally the only mandolin I own which is a Flatiron F Style pre-Gibson that I play the heck out of everyday.

I intend to upgrade one more time and it will probably be the last one I get as I have set my sights on a Gibson F-5 Fern or something of that caliber. I'd love a Brentrup or Dude!

I guess I am just a ONE mandolin kinda guy.

It's funny I only have ONE guitar (Taylor) and ONE fiddle (Friedrich Bros.)too! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

cgwilsonjr
Jul-23-2005, 8:39am
I have:
1. 1977 Martin A
2. 2002 Collings MT-2
3. 2004 Brentrup L21V

I love them all but play the Collings and Brentrup daily.

barricwiley
Jul-23-2005, 9:07am
Here is my little herd, in favorite order at this time.

Pomeroy A2
Pomeroy F4
Rigel A+ Deluxe
Eastman 515 #2

They are all art in the air.
Richard http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Kirk Albrecht
Jul-23-2005, 9:38am
Two - a Collings MT, and a Epiphone A-style which my wife gave me as a wedding present almost 22 years ago. The Collings is excellent, the Epiphone now has a neck warped so the action is way high, not very playable, but I keep it for sentimental reasons.

gnelson651
Jul-23-2005, 10:01am
My heard includes:

Eastman 805
MK Legacy Deluxe
Custom-built flat top (to be completed in September)

Peter Hackman
Jul-23-2005, 10:13am
Two.

1994 Flatiron A5 Artist
2004 Collings whatever, too many characters,MF5 or something,
$ 7.200
The Collings is my favorite. Radiused fretboard,
smoother and fuller tone.

Oh, yes, somewhere in a closet, in an oblong case I keep
an El Torres F5 copy, very thin top, finished bottom!,
in sad shape and nowhere the above in tone quality.
Don't even know the origin of this instrument,
really odd.

GnomeGrown
Jul-23-2005, 11:48am
ahhh, I feel sad

not really of course, but it is just me and my lil ol MK right now.....

Hoping for a Mid-Mo REAL soon though, can't wait till september

Milan Christi
Jul-23-2005, 12:08pm
I've got two on the ramp and one in the hangar. (Anyone recognize that quote?)

I presently have a Weber Yellowstone and a 1912 Gibson A model.

But my favorite one is on order - a new Arches.

Hal Loflin
Jul-23-2005, 12:21pm
MAN...THIS IS GOING GREAT! When I started this thread I figured I would get some decent responses.

I will watch it until August 1st and then get the data together and post it.

HEY....jim_n_virginia: When you get ready to sell the Pre-Gibson Flatiron F style shoot me an email. I have a 96 but would love to get a pre-gibson.

Ray Neuman
Jul-23-2005, 1:37pm
I play a 15 year old Washburn A style, and have to say I do enjoy it a lot.

I, as well am a 1 instrument kind of guy. 1 Washburn mandolin, 1 custom guitar, 1 Washburn open back banjo from 1900 and 1 german fiddle.

the professir with 1 wife. (all favorites)

Elliot Luber
Jul-23-2005, 2:00pm
1. 1924 Gibson F5, 2. Collings MF5 varnish, 3. Breedlove Orca, 4. Eastman 916, 5. Hope Diamond, 6. Holy Grail, 7. Tax-free living -- Hey, I can dream, can't I? Alright, I checked my lottery ticket. Maybe next week...

mandodebbie
Jul-23-2005, 2:14pm
My retired mando is a Hyburn..not sure what year. My better mando is a Korean made Samick... not sure what year that was made in, either. Now, don't everybody knock my door down to see them! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mythicfish
Jul-23-2005, 2:50pm
In order of acquisition:

1. 1917 Gibson A4 ... Great old-time player
2. Thos Blatz F5 copy. Varnish. 1994. Not loud but great tone.
3. Johnson Resonator ... Cheap, good-time blues machine.
4. MK F-hole mandola ... Scares banjo players!
5. Wendler Electric ... Nice jazz/swing mando with Mag-Pi pickups. Great acoustic sound w/ a tube amp.
6. Rigel A+ Deluxe ... Outstanding versitility and comfort.

Next!

Jim M.
Jul-23-2005, 3:00pm
1. Newson F5
2. BRW J16
3. Brentrup Model 20 (oval-hole A)
4. Arches Flat-top
5. 1924 Gibson F2
6. 1918 Gibson F2

I'm not picking a favorite. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

acousticphd
Jul-23-2005, 3:28pm
Four. #I have four.

This reminds me of a story, or maybe a cartoon, which depicted Early Man as being capable of counting as follows: "One, two, three, many",

A quick count confirms I also have "many":

1. ca. 1917 Gibson A, my current first-stringer. This mando erased my skepticism up to that time that I would never like the playability of a vintage Gibson.
2. ca. 1916 Gibson A1. I like this one a lot, but #1 plays better.
3. Old Waves A-f, ~1997; C#-oval ~2000, Old Wave A-oval ~2000. These are all wonderful, but resting in my V.I.M. reserve pool.

The herd of "many" include a Morris F4, Givens Legacy A5, Ratcliff A5, Sawchyn flat mandola, '30's Cromwell A style, '30's Recording King pancake, Meadors oval hole bent-top, and Suzuki oval hole 2-pointer. (A few of these will hit the Classifieds at some point)

Daniel Nestlerode
Jul-23-2005, 3:54pm
I have two mandolins, money issues preclude me from allowing MAS to help me make purchase decisions as often as I'd like to. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif # So I only upgrade when both the time and the money are right. #Since 1992 that's only been twice.

* Kentucky KM-630 (mid 90s Korean made)
* Capek Old Era (F5 with a really nice double flowerpot inlay in the headstock from around ~2000)

Daniel

sgarrity
Jul-23-2005, 5:53pm
Here's my stable. Just down to one mandolin but might add an oval hole in the next year or so.

1) Bill Davis F5 Artist
2) Collings D1A
3) Gibson Hummingbird

Im a much better mandolin player than guitar player. But somehow I wound up with two of them. Go figure....

Shaun

JimD
Jul-23-2005, 5:54pm
1. Phoenix Neoclassical (my favorite -- I use this one 98% of the time)

2. Gibson A50

3. National Resonator mandolin ( LOUD! -- I use it mostly for slide -- sometimes with an ebow)

4. Bruno Mandolin Banjo (I sometimes use it for early 20th c. music)

5. no name "Gibsonesque" mandocello that my brother bought me for $35 at a place called "George's Bait and Tackle and Music"

Jul-23-2005, 6:10pm
1. Old Wave A Type Oval Hole Nr. 289
2. Weber Sweet Pea
3. No Idea how to describe it... Asian cheap starter model.

I only play the Old Wave or the Weber, and usually the Weber when I am travelling or out in the garden for a moment until my wife sees that I have stopped doing whatever was on my list of things to do. The Old Wave is absolutely brilliant, and I'll keep it forever. Waiting for a Bouzouki from Paddy Burgin too...

hernbone
Jul-23-2005, 6:45pm
1.1997 K&G #21

fredfrank
Jul-23-2005, 7:14pm
I have two.

Both are my favorites.

groveland
Jul-23-2005, 8:24pm
Rigel A+ Deluxe.

I am having trouble justifying another.

Flatpick
Jul-23-2005, 8:37pm
1 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Dfyngravity
Jul-23-2005, 8:50pm
Well at the moment I only have ONE, it's a Red Diamond F5 #158. I had a Mann 5 string electric and I still regret selling it. The next mando purchase will be an A4 of some type, most likely a Janish A4 unless I see another that is better and cheaper.

GMatt
Jul-23-2005, 9:54pm
Old Washburn
MK Dragonfly
Trinity College Zouk

newbreedbrian
Jul-23-2005, 10:40pm
1)1982 Taggart A
2)Epiphone MM50
3)Epiphone MM20

mandopete
Jul-23-2005, 11:03pm
I have one that's brown and one that is sunburst. #The brown one has funny-shaped holes that look like an "F" and some scrolly things. #The sunburst one looks like a teardrop with a round hole in the middle.

My favorite is still my clarinet!

peteymando
Jul-24-2005, 7:43am
03 Gibson Varnished Fern(favorite),04 BRW Distressed F-5 (coming on strong),01 Rigel A+Deluxe(excellent mandolins sound wise,construction,visually,and fun to play)03 Pomeroy A oval #17(Sweet!!)03 Dave Griffin A f-hole(Rosewood back and sides,Eng top and the sides are wider than regular mandos,almost like a mandola,very pleasing sound).OK,Im a happy camper!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MOP
Jul-24-2005, 8:18am
two Rigel A+ /virzi
one Rigel R 100/virzi
One Gibson F2 1914
One F5 I built
Another F5 I built
One bowlback (Italian) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

peteymando
Jul-24-2005, 10:12am
Thirteen Rigels so far!

JEStanek
Jul-24-2005, 12:59pm
In order of acquisition...
1) Lonestar Venice (unplayable for 7 months until I had it set up). Three months later I gave it to my nephews as Number 2 & 3 were coming. Bought after sitting next t Chris Thile, Sara Watkins, Ruth Ungar and Matt Glaser (fiddle) post Folkfest jam. They got me into the mando.
2) Johnson MM110 (Oval hole post set up I still play this and let my kids have fun with it). Won it on e-bay on accident while waiting for FOTW to send number 3(or so I told my wife).
3) Kentucky KM140S from FOTW (returned to FOTW when puchasing number 4 - never got credited so they are sending me a new one back...)
4) Morgan Monroe Cherry burst (at the time my best mandolin very beautiful back busy fingerboard with too much inlay)
5) Trinity College Octave (doesn't get played too much but I love the tone of the OM)
6) Weber Sweet Pea. Fun to pick up, wear and play.
7) Eastman 814 Oh boy... my favorite but I love all of them for where I was when I got them and how different they all are.

Jamie

jimbob
Jul-24-2005, 1:12pm
'98 Yellowstone
'05 Hilburn
'04 Gibson Alan Bibey

The Hilburn is certainly my favorite.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandroid
Jul-24-2005, 1:45pm
2 gibby As, and a Cz f5, 1-4+1-8string banjomando, woodenhead banjouke,backpacker
and some electric ones. a 5 string thats just visiting , up for sale...
oh and a guitar too, but just one. guild f30nt (000)
Lebeda goes out weekly, backpack/travel Mando on the pushbike.

jim simpson
Jul-24-2005, 2:10pm
1. Sim Daley std. F
2. Gibson F5-G
3. Gibson A-9
4. Nagoya F-5 converted to F-4 style

Sim Daley is the favorite

walshb
Jul-24-2005, 5:30pm
I've never even played a mandolin, but I currently own two of them. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #I ordered one online last week, then 2 days later I found a better deal, so I ordered another one. #Neither one has actually arrived yet, and one of them will probably be going back, but for now, I can honestly say I own two of them. #Both are MK's, one is a solid and the other is a deluxe. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
Did I mention that I'm crazy about mandolins, and have been for a long time now? #I'm finally going to start learning to play one.

Fuzzyway
Jul-24-2005, 7:27pm
1. Rigel G5
2. Hilburn F5
3. Colling MT2
4. Schwab 5 string elec
5. Bussman Guitar Octave
6. Commodium resophonic

No favorites....love them all or they wouldn't be here.

Best, Fuzzy

Mteresko
Jul-24-2005, 7:32pm
1. Wiens F-5 - the best by a long shot
2. Mandobird - I put a Bartolini on it and its alot of fun
3. Rigel A+ - still keeping it for now. May use to finance an OM
4. Harmony Monterey circa 1970 - still keep for sentimental value, or if one of my kids wants to pick up the mando. Bought it new in Boston while in college.

Bramble
Jul-24-2005, 8:11pm
I currently own two, but we share things:

Mine:
Lebeda A5 Premium (love it)
Mid-Mo M2

His:
Freshwater deep-body
Freshwater octave
Weber Absaroka
W.A. Petersen Level 3 octave

hmmm....something's wrong here... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

straight-a
Jul-25-2005, 8:23am
Fender FM-63
Gibson A-12 (ol' Lumpy)
Gibson A-9

Favorite: A-9

fiddler
Jul-25-2005, 9:27am
1. Rigel Q-95 "espresso con mocha"
2. Fender FM-63s
3. Kentucky KM300e

2 & 3 are nice for what they are. The Rigel is new but communing with it has become an essential part of my day.

Lee
Jul-25-2005, 9:52am
I'll take Rich M's collection. Fuzzyway's ain't bad either.

Frank Russell
Jul-25-2005, 10:09am
I have a flattop made by a good friend of mine, who's now making mandolins in Maine. My only "store bought" mandolin right now is a wideneck (Bush neck with block inlays) F5G, which Big Joe tells me there were only 6 or 7 made. It sounds very much like a Bush model to me, but cost several thousand less. It's one of the better finishes I've seen on a Gibson recently, the lacquer is so thin it looks almost like a varnish finish. If I were to list all the mandolins I've owned in the last 5 years, it would be a little embarrassing. I'm a chronic trader. There have been at least 20, maybe more. I don't like to think about it. Frank

John Craton
Jul-25-2005, 11:09am
Three at present: a 1970's Suzuki (Japan), an 1890's Euterpia (France), and a Herwiga Solist (German) dating from the 1950's. The Herwiga is far and away my fav, being a German style with a wider fingerboard which fits my large hand much better than the little Neapolitans.

JD Cowles
Jul-25-2005, 11:39am
1. #Bill Davis F5 (western red cedar top, walnut everwheres else)

2. #Sometime this fall I'll be adding a Pomeroy A2 to my tiny herd...

Maybe we should start a thread about mandolins you HAD and let go...could be too painful...
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Fred G
Jul-25-2005, 11:50am
1999 Gibson A-5L
2002 Gibson A-9
2002 Gibson F-9
plus an unplayable wall hanger.

the A-5l has the sweetest tone but the f-9 is probably my favorite

Dave Gumbart
Jul-25-2005, 12:25pm
1) started with a Kentucky 150-S, just to see if this mandolin thing was really something I would get into. It was.
2) went looking for an upgrade, and came across a Breedlove Oregon - it sounded and felt great. What i was told is true - get a nice instrument, and it will make you want to play it.
3) then added, thanks to my wife's tag sale travels, a no-name mandolin banjo. Pretty darn loud, hard to (get) keep in tune, but fun to play when I do get around to it.
4) not yet, but....have always had an eye on some teens or early 20's Gibson A. Some day.

Don Christy
Jul-25-2005, 12:53pm
- Silver Angel F5 by Ken Ratcliff (beautiful looking/sounding)
- MK Firefly Deluxe (pretty nice now with better setup)
- Soon to have, solid-body electric that I'm building
- Next year, Oval hole A from small builder
Don

elenbrandt-redux
Jul-25-2005, 1:49pm
I have 2 Brentrup Model A's - the brunette and the blonde. I would never play favorites or the girls might get into a cat fight....

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

lucho
Jul-25-2005, 2:16pm
from my current stringed instrument record for mandolin and relatives......
Instrumentos serial number
MANDOLINS
Flatiron 2MW mandolin (1988) 88043845
Kentucky KM-200S mandolin (1997) 97900138
Samick SM40S mandolin (1998) 98100002
Stradolin solid spruce/maple mandolin (1930's)
Andaluz 10 string mandolina

OM/TM/TG
Flatiron 3K bouzouki (1984) 8408301
Vega Little Wonder short scale tenor banjo (1929) 84440
Martin O-T18 tenor guitar (1930) 43287
Breyer tenor mandola (1920s) 9846
Gremlin Salterio tenor mandola (1990s) 0047

CITTERNS/LUTES:
Kirsinger bandola (waldzither short cittern; 1920?) 13136
arabic oud/laouta
turkish bouzuk saz
bolivian chaski charango
2 waylacho charangos
Lonestar puertorican cuatro (1997)
Don José puertorican cuatro (2003) tuned as SL cittern
Vicente Sanchis style 2 tenor laúd (1997)

lucho
Jul-25-2005, 2:27pm
from my current stringed instrument record for mandolin and relatives......
Instrumentos # # # # # # # # serial number
MANDOLINS
Flatiron 2MW mandolin (1988) 88043845
Kentucky KM-200S mandolin (1997) 97900138
Samick SM40S mandolin (1998) 98100002
Stradolin solid spruce/maple mandolin (1930's)
Andaluz 10 string mandolina

OM/TM/TG
Flatiron 3K bouzouki (1984) # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 8408301
Vega Little Wonder short scale tenor banjo (1929) 84440
Martin O-T18 tenor guitar (1930) 43287
Breyer tenor mandola (1920s) 9846
Gremlin Salterio tenor mandola (1990s) 0047

CITTERNS/LUTES:
Kirsinger bandola (waldzither short cittern; 1920?) 13136
arabic oud/laouta
turkish bouzuk saz
bolivian chaski charango
2 waylacho charangos
Lonestar puertorican cuatro (1997)
Don José puertorican cuatro (2003) tuned as SL cittern
Vicente Sanchis style 2 tenor laúd (1997)

I do like each one of these axes for the right time and kind of music.... currently, the most played instruments # in my band are the Flatiron and Samick mandolins, the zouk, the laud, and 2 of the charangos. The others are also played but in other environments like... the Andaluz 10 string mandolina in an estudiantina, the bouzuk and lute for medieval music, and the remainder for my own enjoyment on weekends.

garyblanchard
Jul-25-2005, 2:39pm
As the king of cheap instruments, I own 2 mandolins

1) Surf City oval hole (With set-up by Mike Munford)
2) Johnson F style

I play the Surf City the most right now because of the set-up. The Johnson goes to Mike next.

I make it a point to buy only cheap instruments; my entire collection cost less than most people's main instrument. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mike_c
Jul-25-2005, 4:25pm
i have just two ..a 25 year old monteleone m-5 and a 2 year old collings mf-5...the monteleone is in a class by itself but the collings is awesome for a newer mando...

drelb
Jul-25-2005, 4:53pm
1. Silver Angel F distressed
2. Collings MT

Tim Saxton
Jul-25-2005, 5:04pm
Current as of today:

2004 Eastman 815 - current favorite
2004 Agape F5 - Red spruce/Quilt back custom built by a good friend Brian Woods
2005 MK Legacy oval hole - in unplayable condition
2003 Blueridge BR160.... Martin what?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
2001 Martin D28 - Great old guitar.

coming soon....

2005 Newell A5 - custom mandolin Red spruce top with Slab cut one piece red maple back.

Tim Saxton

twaaang
Jul-25-2005, 6:17pm
Two for me: a circa-1919 Lyon and Healy Style B, and a 2004 Rigel CT-110. Each has its advantages over the other, and I rotate them pretty faithfully for at-home play without any feeling that I'd rather not. The L&H tends to get out to local jams more routinely, for neurotic reasons which it has never clearly explained to me but who am I to judge? -- Paul

bud
Jul-25-2005, 6:33pm
In order of acquisition

1. #'19 Gibson F4
2. John Fraley F5. #For sale at www.bluegrassmando.com
3. Kimble A5 #6
4. Kimble F5 #35 not 39
5. Old Wave F5 formally David Long's mando

Really love them all, but one day will trade/sell some of them towards a Gilchrist.

Bud

Jeff A
Jul-25-2005, 8:10pm
Bud, I looked in the case just to be sure, but Kimble F5 #39 is still with me and getting better every day. I think you have an earlier number. Loved hearing your Kimble#6 at Merlefest this year.

Other instruments

Neil Dean F5 #30
Collings MT
Gibson A9
5 Martin guitars
Collings OM2H

Kimble is my favorite with the Neil Dean close behind.

bud
Jul-25-2005, 8:13pm
Jeff,

You are right, don't know why I seem to get confused on that. I have Kimble #35. Hope we can pick again soon. Do you have photos from the Symposium? Would love to hear about it in a pm.

Bud

fatt-dad
Jul-25-2005, 8:20pm
What, we were supposed to list our guitars and ban)os too?

Homework. . . . .

f-d

Hal Loflin
Jul-25-2005, 8:58pm
NO...Please only list mandolins......Thanx

Yonkle
Jul-25-2005, 11:41pm
I have 4

JD #1 A5
JD #2 F5
JD #3 F5
JD #4 F4

Number 2 and 4 are my favorites, 1 na d 3 I will sell someday. JD

Bob A
Jul-26-2005, 12:02am
In order of purchase, more or less:
1921 F4 #(my favorite carved-type)
1915 H4
Unicorn F5 (by Dave Sinko)
1923 A2Z (probably my best carved-type)
L&H Style A (13" scale) (probably the most versatile of all)
L&H Style b (14"scale)
Vega Pettine Special (bowlback)
Stahl (Larson bros) bowlback
Vinaccia 1895 bowlback
De Meglio bowlback (in permanent restoration mode)
Martin #6 bowlback # # # # " # # # # # # # # #" # # # # # "
Kevorkian bowlback (an excellent new Greek mando)
Hodson djangolin
Salsedo bowlback 1895 maple (one of my favorite bowlbacks)
Salsedo bowlback 1895 rosewood (needs resto)
Mozzani bowlback 1902
Monzino # # " # # # (another fave)
Ceccherini #"
Pecoraro # #" # # # 1963
Calace # # # " # # # 1922
no-name piccolo bowlback, ~1900
Konrad Wolki signature bowlback ( a very German-style mandolin)
DiSantino bowlback

It's obvious that I'm in serious trouble here. I do play most of them fairly regularly, but it's doubtful that I'll be getting any more mandolins for the forseeable future. I've been badly bitten by the bowlback bug; they're so fun to hear and play, and they most all sound different from one another.

FrankenMouse
Jul-26-2005, 12:55am
Wow Bob. If you keep them all in one room, it must be quite a show!

I'm bowlback-curious these days, so I'll probably see you in the classical section.

MIke

Lee
Jul-26-2005, 10:06am
Blasius bowlback 'teens?
Bacon "Student" oval-A '30's?
Bruce Taggart A5 '84
Paul Newson #18 A5 '84
Laura Ratcliff #17 '02
BRW #24 A5 '03
Pomeroy #26 A5 '03?
Pomeroy #44 F5 '05
Old Wave #325 oval-A
Old Wave #340 A5
Old Wave C# (Yikes, forgot the serial number)
Another interesting topic would be to add our "Most Recently Departed" to our lists.

ManjoMan
Jul-26-2005, 11:01am
Two:

1. Paganoni #DL-3
2. Buckeye #9

Fav:

Depends on the day and the mood.

Moose
Jul-26-2005, 11:24am
You guys are sick! - "packrats'! - Chronic MAS!## - I ain't even in-the-game!!##? - Own (2)!: Flatiron"A"(has Gibson MM label inside!??), an "A" Chas. Horner(that'll blow the aforementioned away(well, so far!?#), AND...,I USED to own the Silver Angel "A" #6 that Jason(see: above) brags on!# - and rightly SO!## - my loss was Jason's gain! - oh, well..., go Jason!## - Moose-the-repentant. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Calbrit
Jul-26-2005, 11:49am
Mid-Mo M-3W - I don't need another!

Eric F.
Jul-26-2005, 2:29pm
2005 Arches A
Unknown vintage Kentucky 250, which is out on long-term loan.

I think you can guess which is my favorite.

otterly2k
Jul-26-2005, 4:00pm
Had a 1921 Gibson A4 (that hadn't been played in 15 or so years!)
sold it to finance exploration of larger mando instruments.

bought a Freshwater zouk (too long)
bought a vintage Italian mandola (too short)
bought a Trillium OM (very close to right)
Built Otter #1 OM
rediscovered need for mandolin- bought a Breedlove OO
Sold the Freshwater zouk, sale of mandola pending.

Am very happy with both the Trillium OM and Otter #1...each having her own voice and strengths. Also happy with the Breedlove as the utility mando I bought it to be. The Trillium is still a little long for me...may be sold in near-ish future to finance the next move. Not 100% sure that that will be, but it will be a custom build of some sort.

KE

RI-Grass
Jul-26-2005, 6:08pm
Rigel G110 - makes it to plug-in gigs and 70's music
Weber Yellowstone - really likes bluegrass jams
Epiphone MM50 - likes to camp
Johnson 100 F-style - never home as it's always teaching another mando convert

Need to add a 1900's Gibson A1,2,3 or 4 to the collection.

Thinking about getting rid of the Epiphone and replacing it with maybe a Weber Galatin for "roughing it."

Sal

Bill Van Liere
Jul-26-2005, 6:20pm
Four

Still tryin to figure out the favorite part.

Gibson A-1 paddlehead
84 Flatiron A-5 Jr.
88 Flatiron F-5 Master
03 Brentrup Model 21

Biggs2
Jul-26-2005, 6:35pm
I just have two.......
'04 Breedlove McKenzie
'05 MK Legacy Classic (custom)

wah
Jul-26-2005, 6:56pm
Pomeroy, #13 F5
Gibson, '60 A5 2-point
Gibson, '34 A-00
Vega, '25 Style K banjolin
Blue Star Mandoblaster 4-string electric
Fender FM-61SE 8-string electric

Each is different and have their uses but I always carry the Pomeroy with me and I play the A5 alot! The others only get used on occasion. I've played the '34 more since I got the Steve James Blues dvd. Since I got an AKG C411 to amplify the A5 I never seem to play the Fender, guess I should get rid of it.

Wayne

mnosretep
Jul-26-2005, 8:50pm
Five;
1999 Gibson Fern
2003 Gibson Doyle Lawson
2003 Gibson F-9
Kentucky KM650
Johnson 120-N A (for camping)

Favorite? dead-heat between the Fern and Lawson

MANDOLINMYSTER
Jul-26-2005, 9:03pm
Teens Washburn bowl back(fancy)
1921 Martin AK
1921 Gibson F4
1922 Gibson A4
1921 Gibson A2
1929 Gibson A0
1917 Vega 205
1924 Gibson A1(snakehead)
1984 Kentucky Dawg
1920 Weymann Banjo mandolin #40
2005 BRW (soon)
Did I forget anyone?
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MANDOLINMYSTER
Jul-26-2005, 9:14pm
Oh yeah........
Teens Vega? Mandolinette
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Karen Kay
Jul-26-2005, 9:38pm
Six, so far:
(in order of purchase)

Gallatin Weber
Bill Davis F
Newell A
1916 Gibson A
1918 Gibson F2
Fender OM #

Such a pitifully small number for 2 people, I'm embarassed...
K&R

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-28-2005, 10:27pm
Gibson A9
Home Built Stew-Mac Campfie
Fender FM-62SE
Weber Sweet Pea

i play the gibson the most, but i just finished the campfire and have been playing that a bunch, its good for cllassicalstuff. then i probably play the sweat pea and the fender the same amount, not regularly, but when i travle with tight space i play the sweetpea alot and when i need to be loud and pluged in i play the fender. wow my spelling and grammar are atrocious.

Baron

mando_pete
Jul-28-2005, 11:56pm
I have a 2005 Brentrup 21V ( an A5 )
A 1930's Gibson A5
A Morgon Monroe MMS-4 F style
A POS Ebay special.

Everything is tucked away and for sale except the Brentrup and the Gibson.

The 21V blows me away everytime I pick it up.

I use the Morgan Monroe out in the sun room when the temp is over 90. Otherwise, I'm always picking on the Big B

-- pete

fatt-dad
Jul-29-2005, 7:25am
(This is an impossible thread. I mean, now I've sold some and bought another. Do I have to re-post my inventory?)

f-d

Hal Loflin
Jul-29-2005, 8:08am
fat-dad...We will go with your original post. I am going to let it run through Sunday (7/31) then accumulate the data and post the results under a new thread so that we will not have to go all the way through 8-9 pages to see them. The new thread will be HOW MANY DO YOU OWN? THE RESULTS.

Thanks for all the input from everyone...This should be interesting to see....

neal
Jul-29-2005, 8:16am
Pomeroy A2
Gibson Ajr '19-'20 or thereabouts
no name flatback canted top pated tuners thing
surf city octave. #not bad after a setup.

guitars? #not enough space here to list
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ok, I exaggerate

fatt-dad
Jul-29-2005, 8:57am
O.K., I just got a Breedlove KO (thanks to the Classifieds).

f-d

JGWoods
Jul-29-2005, 9:03am
I have more than I thought- unconcious MAS I guess:
sort of worst to best-

Samick oval hole...out on loan

Ditson Empire bowlback with a dip in the top-wallhanger

Rex flatback- plays good, looks funky, was cheap

Flatiron Cadet- strung in octaves right now.

Stahl(?) Larson Bros.(?) rosewood flatback beauty, very playable- 13" scale.

SS Stewart all koa flatback, cant top, fine player

Gibson A4 paddle head- beat, sounds sweet.

Rigel G110- only f hole mando, gathering dust, great when I play it.

that makes 8
too many for me so watch ebay for several

Favorite?- The A4 and the Stahl

jgwoods

WireBoy
Jul-29-2005, 10:25am
fatt-dad ! I had my eye on that KO in the classifieds too. #If it doesn't meet with your approval, let me know.

acousticphd
Jul-29-2005, 10:33am
(This is an impossible thread. #I mean, now I've sold some and bought another. #Do I have to re-post my inventory?)

Yep, you do. From the top.

I have one to add - the blacktop Mann A7 that was recently in the classifieds, built by Jon Mann who lives just up the road from me. But I have no idea what that brings my total to, either. Excuse me, I have to go take a pill now ...

racuda
Jul-29-2005, 10:51am
1. 1923 Gibson A2-Z (http://home.earthlink.net/~racuda/images/A2-Z.jpg)
2. 1932 Maurer (http://home.earthlink.net/~racuda/images/Maurer_mando.jpg) (made by the Larson Bros.)
3. Early '80's Flatiron 1-N (http://home.earthlink.net/~racuda/images/flatiron.jpg)

For me this is the perfect complement of instruments, I need no more. The Flatiron is my take-anywhere-beater, the A2-Z has the classic deep woody Gibson tone, and the Maurer has a wonderful, unearthly celestial sound.

PatrickH
Jul-29-2005, 11:31am
- Collings MF (ivoroid binding)
- Collings MT (blacktop, currently setup with Dr.
# Thomastik mediums for celtic/classical. It works really
# well for that, very fast neck.
- Rigel A+ (wacky golden color)
- Phoenix Neoclassical
- Nugget/Collings Tim O'Brien (#16)

I truly love them all. The TOB is loud, sweet and bluegrassy, the Collings MF is woody and the rest are very playable and all sound very different.

bsimmers
Jul-29-2005, 12:14pm
1991 Flatiron F5 (Bruce Weber)
2001 Weber Gallatin
1974 Gibson F12 (bought it 3 days ago)

The Flatiron is the Boss, with lots of miles on it.

I will sell the Gibson.

MandeauLen
Jul-31-2005, 10:59am
Hanging around the house waiting to be played are:

1916 Gibson blacktop F-2 (later upgraded to F-4 appointments
1956 Gibson F-12 (later upgraded to mostly F-5 appointments)
2002 Collings MF-5
2005 Duff F-5
2002 Duff H-5 mandola
2003 Rigel A Plus Deluxe blacktop

lots of dobros, small bodied Martin guitars, Telecasters and a fiddle made by my great grandfather (sweet).

My favorite is whatever I have in my hands at the moment (which is usually the '56 F-12; not very loud but great overall tone).

addcourt
Jul-31-2005, 12:22pm
Currently, I have the following: '01 Brentrup 23L, '81 Stan Miller F5, '03 Gibson Doyle Lawson, '02 Randy Wood Supreme F5, '92 Flatiron Cadet, '02 Brock F4 and an '86 Flatiron F5. Have a Kimble in the works with a "next year" delivery date.

rmcintos
Jul-31-2005, 1:03pm
1-Epiphone MM20
2-MidMo M0
3-A round holed jobby made in Mexico...
4-Trinity College Octave Mando

The OM and the Epi get the most playing time, but once I get the MidMo setup, the Epi will be retired. The Mexican mando sits in the closest with my fiddle, guitars, flute, whistles, banjo.........

Greenmando
Jul-31-2005, 2:14pm
1- Flatiron Festival F5
2- Gibson F9
3- Gibson A9
4- Martin Backpacker
5- Epiphone mandobird
6- Epiphone MM-30E
7- Washburn F4 on the way

My love is torn between the F9 and the Festival right now.
I want to order a King Brown F4 soon. I have several mandolins in the works out in the work shop as well.

B. T. Walker
Jul-31-2005, 2:38pm
1) late 1890's Washburn bowlback (antique)
2) 2003 Weber Yellowstone (for serious playing)
3) Johnson MF-350 (beach/camping instrument)

AND

4) 2005 Ludewig Emory Lester model (still with Dale, but coming soon -- this is my first commissioned instrument).

PLUS

Oldest daughter -- 5)an unplayable e-bay POS, and 6)a cheap Washburn a-style to learn on.

Youngest daughter -- 7)my old Goya a/e converted to a lefty for her.

The Weber is my fave, but if it doesn't measure up to the EL, you may see it in the classifieds. The other stuff I wouldn't sell because they aren't really mine anymore, or they suck so bad I wouldn't give them to my enemies. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

fatt-dad
Jul-31-2005, 3:41pm
O.K. and I have a Muth on order with a "next year" deliver date - maybe even 2007.

f-d

Hal Loflin
Jul-31-2005, 6:10pm
OK...I am going to start gathering all of this information in the morning and post the results hopefully no later than Tuesday. I will post it under a new thread called HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE? The Results.

I appreciate all that have responded to this...it has been very interesting to see all of the mandolins that the cafe members have. MAS IS ALIVE AND WELL!

Furnman
Jul-31-2005, 11:01pm
1 - Collings MT
2 - Morgan Monroe MMA-1
3 - Weber Sage #1 Zook/OM

Also a Morgan Monroe Dobro (great fun) and a piece o' #### Ovation plastic acoustic.

WireBoy
Aug-01-2005, 12:55am
Here's my stable:
-2003 Will Parsons F2 model - needs some neck work
-2001 Weber Absaroka Mandola - action probably a tad high
-30s-40s? Orpheium A style - severe finish crazing on top
-80's Avila A style (Korean import)- neck broke
-? bowl back - a couple of staves were repaired

i need a good one without any issues !

Chip Booth
Aug-01-2005, 7:17pm
Oh, why not..

'83 Flatiron A5-2
'99 Gibson F5L
'22 Gibson A4
some wierd ol' banjo-mandolin that needs to be fixed up

The Flatiron A5-2 is the one I wouldn't part with right now.
Chip

Yellowmandolin
Aug-01-2005, 8:19pm
In order of aquisition:
1. Johnson MF-370
2. Gibson F-5G
3. Bently A

The Gibson is far and away my favorite...

Jonk
Aug-03-2005, 9:21am
Tucker F
Heiden A
Schneider F
Elliott A
L. Ratcliff A
Prucha F
15 Gib F2
22 Gib A2
Smart A
Play Elliott and Prucha most.

mandozark
Aug-03-2005, 10:11am
1. 1920 Gibson A 2. Phoenix Deluxe #298 3. Epiphone Mandobird Each has such a different purpose that it is hard to think of them as the same instrument. George Wardlaw

jasona
Aug-03-2005, 11:02am
Nice list Jonk!

Hal Loflin
Aug-03-2005, 3:06pm
MAN....Just about got all of the data finalized. It was more than I had expected...Just a glimpse...

Total Responses to the Thread: 100
Total Mandolins: 392
Total Companies/Builders: 140

I will try my best to have it posted this weekend...Sorry for the delay.

Klaus Wutscher
Aug-04-2005, 3:27am
1) Will Kimble # 59 (Blackface A 5)
2) Apitius Grand Classic (mid 1990ies)
3) Nuppi Jenner Octave mandolin (Flattop ,roundhole, spruce+ Braziian (!) rosewood)

love them all but will probably sell the Apitius since I really need only one mandolin.

Danny Clark
Aug-04-2005, 4:58am
i am a little low right now only two but gooduns
Paganoni #7
Tucker Prototype A #2

Dave Reiner
Aug-04-2005, 1:41pm
Eight... how did that happen? #In order of age:

Two Gibson F4s (1914, blacktop and red)
Gibson A4 (1916)
Givens A6
Gilchrist A3 (golden)
Gibson F5 Master Model (2001)
Holoubek F5
Collings MF-5 Deluxe Varnished

They all have their great qualities -- no favorites. I'm playing the Collings the most right now, to break it in.

Dave

margora
Aug-04-2005, 2:01pm
1. Collins MT2
2. Flatiron 3MW
3. 1907 Martin bowlback, Style 0
4. Weber Alder #2 mandola
5. A 4-string (no name) domra.

1,2, 4 I use routinely in mandolin orchestra contexts. 3,5 I play at home.

Jack Roberts
Aug-04-2005, 6:21pm
Collings MF 2004
Gibson A5 1958
Gibson A1 1918
Samick A 2002

and I've got a mandola on order

I play all of them. At gigs I pick either the A1 or the MF, depending on if I feel bluegrassy or old timey that particular day. The selection of fine mandolins proves, once again, that I am a lot better than I sound...

blugrssmom
Aug-04-2005, 11:25pm
1. F-5 Cole mandolin #68

2. F-5 Cole mandolin #107

3. Flatiron Army/Navy style signed on the front by Bill Monroe

4. F-5 Wynn mandolin

I love both of my Cole mandolins for playabilty and tone both Raynae

Hal Loflin
Aug-05-2005, 10:02pm
I have posted the results to this thread under a new topic called HOW MANY DO YOU OWN?/THE RESULTS. Check it out....Pretty eye opening and interesting.

Thanks for all who responded....Hal

Kevin Briggs
Dec-03-2005, 11:03pm
Here're mine:
1. 2005 Gibson Distressed
2. 2000 Gilchrist "Briggsy"
3. Nugget "Booger"

Just kidding. I'm a teacher. I'd have to work over half the year, and then spend every cent on a Gibson distressed or one of those super-expensive instruments. I don't know how my 4 week old daughter would feel about never having diapers or a home to live. Seriously, who buys those? Can I just have $1,000 or so. I mean, if whoever buys those can really afford them, you can certainly afford to pay for my custom Bitteroot to get a new headstock and binding up the neck.

Here's my real list:
1. Maple Bitteroot (Trad. Bridge/Tone bars)
2. Kentucky 340s (horrible setup)

You all have a buttload of great mandolins. I love my custom Bitteroot, and believe in having one expensive mandolin to play at a time. However, I've never gotten to play a bunch of "other" nice mandolins. I live in Pennsylvania and family and work kind of keep me from going to NAMM or something.

I'll get another mandolin someday, but only after I play a bunch of models, and also give my Bitteroot some time to develop. Maybe I won't go shopping until I have the money in hand, or at least in my checking account. That way, I can buy the one that I love wherever I play it.

The custom Bitteroot is my favorite mandolin of the other nice ones I've played, which include: Phoenix bluegrass; Flatiron Master model (F5-L) 1992 Montana; Flatiron performer 1994 Montana; other Webers; lots of Pac Rim, who my one mando friend says are as good as my Weber, once he gets a new bridge, tuners, and tailpiece on them.

I'd like to eventually check out the Driftwoods and some of th every new builders. This is mostly because they are still low in price.

spoefish
Dec-04-2005, 10:36am
Here is my list - favorites in front, ones I need to sell last.

2004 Arches A, walnut back and sides, radius FB
2003 Weber Hyalite, figured maple, sunburst gloss finish
2005 Eastman 604 oval hole
1976 Martin Style A
1992 Flatiron Cadet

1995 Summit A-100 with radius FB
1999 Epiphone/Gibson MM50
1921 Vega Little Wonder mandolin banjo

And right now I play the Arches most of the time, maybe because it is the most recent, but I think I like it the best anyway. #If I had to leave town with just one of each instrument it would be the Arches, 96 Martin OM-28VR, Reiter Tubaphone, and Blue Lion rosewood dulcimer. #Sometimes wonder why I keep all the rest - but then I get started on "well if you could take two, and then how about three" #etc.

Stephen

Dfyngravity
Dec-04-2005, 6:30pm
I got 2 and only 2

04' Red Diamond F5 #158(Don MacRostie)
05' Mann 5 String Solid Body (Jon Mann)

The Diamond has it all, I play it about 5 hrs a day, 365 days a year. Although my next mandolin will be another Red Diamond, but it will be a "Vintage" and that could be years down the road. The newest member is my 5 stringer, that thing is awesome. My next purchase though will be a Fuchs custom 20watt amp, just the cream of the crop.

Markelberry
Dec-04-2005, 6:41pm
First would like to say as many others they all have their own character and all sound great when called upon. 1990 Gibson F5L,1984 Flatiron A5JR, 1907 Vega bowlback, 1900s Domenico Zannoni Italian bowlback,1890s George Bauer very fancy bowlback,1950s Kay electric mandolin,1982 Flatiron 2k pancake.

Bob Sayers
Dec-04-2005, 9:31pm
Two Gibsons: a 2003 Wayne Benson (#3) and a 2004 Varnish Fern. I like 'em both, though for entirely different reasons. They're about as different as night and day in terms of tone, neck shape, and overall appearance.

Bob

Brian Ray
Dec-04-2005, 9:58pm
From least orange to most orange...

- Morgan Monroe Phantom F5 (it's not seen the light of day for a couple years)
- Mandobird IV (black)
- Rose F5 #10
- Laura Ratcliff A5 #21
- BRW #44

I play the most orange one the most...

Kevin Briggs
Dec-04-2005, 10:00pm
Two Gibsons: #a 2003 Wayne Benson (#3) and a 2004 Varnish Fern. #I like 'em both, though for entirely different reasons. #They're about as different as night and day in terms of tone, neck shape, and overall appearance.

Bob
Hi there. Could ou explain some details about the difference between the Fern and Gibson? I assume you mean Weber Fern. Just curious, as I've never played a Gibson mando.

CF5
Dec-04-2005, 11:08pm
In order of aquisition:
Washburn (japanese made) A5 style
1941 Gibson F5
1916 Gibson F4
1992 Gilchrist Model 2
1923 Gibson A jr.
1998 Baird F4
2001 Baird F5
2003 Gibson A9
There's been others that have come and gone, but for various reasons, these remain.I love them all regardless of differing values. They all have their own character and are a joy to play. I'm a lucky guy.MAS however always prevails and something will have to step aside one of these days(financially speaking) to make room for a new family member.

Bob Sayers
Dec-04-2005, 11:49pm
Ratherbpickin - Both of my mandolins are Gibsons. One is a Wayne Benson artist model and the other is a varnished Fern model. They are amazingly different. The Benson has a satin red lacquer finish, a V-neck, and, as best as I can describe it, a very focused clean sound. The Fern has a dark brown varnish finish, a rounder neck, and a dark mellow tone.

Now here's my dilemma: I love the Benson's beautiful red finish and (on most days) I think I actually prefer the "lacquer" sound. On the other hand, I find the Fern's round neck much more comfortable in my hand and the "varnish" sound incomparable for traditional bluegrass.

Oh well...I really can't complain. I'm very lucky to have two fine mandolins.

Bob

mr51
Dec-05-2005, 2:59pm
Kentucky 340-S

Michael Kelly A Oval

I find myself practicing and playing the Kentucky more, but the Michael Kelly is my favorite. For some reason, the MK's seem to get a bad rap from a lot of players, but I love mine. It is a 10 times better quality mandolin than the Kentucky.

hlebowi2
Dec-05-2005, 3:22pm
1)Brand-ee new Red Diamond "F" #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
2)'84 Kentucky km1000 (Japanese made)
3)'01 Breedlove Columbia (oval hole "K" sunburst)
4)Elloree 8 string electric solid body

Probably only Cafe-ers would understand!!
Howard in Saratoga

hlebowi2
Dec-05-2005, 3:28pm
1)Brand-ee new Red Diamond "F" #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
2)'84 Kentucky km1000 (Japanese made)
3)'01 Breedlove Columbia (oval hole "K" sunburst)
4)Elloree 8 string electric solid body

Probably only Cafe-ers would understand!!
Howard in Saratoga
Oh, I forgot....
5)Weber Sweet Pea for those camping trips
Howard

Jonathan James
Dec-05-2005, 4:06pm
I've got a:

-- 2002 Newson F5 (lacquer)
-- 2002 Gibson F5G (lacquer)
-- 2004 Pomeroy F5 Blackface (lacquer)
-- 2004 Glenn A5 (varnish)
-- 2005 Mandobird IV electric

too many for my modest abilities, but hard to beat as a hobby! I definitely play the Newson the most....great, great instrument!

Kevin Briggs
Dec-05-2005, 4:35pm
Kentucky 340-S

Michael Kelly A Oval

I find myself practicing and playing the Kentucky more, but the Michael Kelly is my favorite. #For some reason, the MK's seem to get a bad rap from a lot of players, but I love mine. #It is a 10 times better quality mandolin than the Kentucky.
I've only heard good things about the MKs, for being Pac-rim mandos. They just might be drifting out of vogue a bit, while the Eastmans take over as most popular imports. I read somewhere else on here that Kentuckys were the first nicer pac-rims, then MKs, and now it's Eastmans.

I've played all three, and the Kentuckys are the least impression in tone and playability, etc. The MKs I played were at the Appalachian Music Instrument Shop stand at the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival. I was thoroughly impressed with the MKs. They benefitted from great setups by the AMIS staff. The Eastmans I played were in some store in West Chester, PA, and they were setup horribly. The action was so low the strings weren't even almost clearing the frets. I told the sales guy and he laughed it off. Anyway, itmade me think the Eastmans weren't any good, but I now know it was due to setup.

I also play a 340s I purchased as a factory second. It has a bad setup and I'm not sure how to fix it. I guess I could do a bunch of stuff to it, but there are two reasons why I don't want to:
1. I truly don't know what I'm doing
2. I don't want to bjuy new parts for it because I'm poor and because the mando is too cheap to upgrade.

I occassionally hear some godo things come out of my Kentucky, like a nice sort of phat note, but the playability is rough going, and it has an overall tinny-ness I can't bear. I have to fight it to get a nice orund tone from it.

Then again, I've playing my custom Bitteroot for a while now, and that pup sings and barks every time I pick it up.

rhfeiner
Dec-05-2005, 6:50pm
Another one instrument dude (as in guy not luthier):
1. Gibson F5L (May 1996 - made in Bozman signed by Bruce Weber)- still a bit stiff.Really need to find the sweet spot on each string
2. Otmar Hausmann Violin (mid 20th century Mittenwald shop fiddle)
3. #1992 Martin J40 guitar
Oh, and a John Jordan 5 string electric violin is in the powder coat shop ('rad rather than trad')

Kevin Briggs
Dec-05-2005, 8:53pm
Sorry to hear about the stiffness of that F5L. It seems like it shoudl have opened up by then. How often do you play it? I'm just wondering, because I own another Bruce Weber signed instrument that has opened up a little in 10 months, but should keep doing so.

Dfyngravity
Dec-06-2005, 4:24pm
Hey hlebowi2,

how's #170 treatin' you? I think Don is make one of the best mandos out there right now. I have had my RD #158 for a little over a year and the tone is just amazing. I just talked to Josh about his new "Vintage" Red Diamond has he said he is just loving that thing to death. I gotta get my hands on that new Vintage model.

berkeleymando
Dec-06-2005, 4:58pm
Here is my list - favorites in front, ones I need to sell last.

2004 Arches A, walnut back and sides, radius FB

And right now I play the Arches most of the time, maybe because it is the most recent, but I think I like it the best anyway. #If I had to leave town with just one of each instrument it would be the Arches, 96 Martin OM-28VR, Reiter Tubaphone, and Blue Lion rosewood dulcimer.
Hi spoefish, its great to know you like the Arches walnut mandolin. That was a keeper, and if I hadn't of been so broke last month I would not have let it go. I am glad it has a good home where it is appreciated. However, since I have my Arches F4 to play I feel OK about having sold you #5. I might not feel so great when its value skyrockets, though!

John M. Riley
Dec-06-2005, 5:44pm
Have the mandos listed below....Believe I like the Rattlesnake the Best!!

salleyann
Dec-06-2005, 6:30pm
IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE:
1984 FLATIRON A5-1
2005 TJOHNSON "PH----X" COPY
2001 TJOHNSON F5 COPY
2003 GOLDTONE "RIGEL"

midmando
Dec-06-2005, 9:29pm
Fender FM-53
Epiphone A
MidMo- M1
MK Legacy

And brand new today - A Collings MT!

I don't even care about the others anymore... well, maybe the MidMo, which my daughter has laid claim to anyway...

hlebowi2
Dec-07-2005, 1:36pm
Hey hlebowi2,

how's #170 treatin' you? I think Don is make one of the best mandos out there right now. I have had my RD #158 for a little over a year and the tone is just amazing. I just talked to Josh about his new "Vintage" Red Diamond has he said he is just loving that thing to death. I gotta get my hands on that new Vintage model.
Hey Dfyngravity,

Life is pretty damn good!
I just emailed Don to let him know what a wonderful instrument he built.
Unfortunately I've been plagued with tendonitis in my left hand/wrist, and am not letting it heal because I'm playing the new mando so much!
Howard

red7flag
Dec-07-2005, 1:45pm
1) 2005 Collins MF I play this the most, especially bluegrass
2) 2005 Weber Bitterroot Custom Mostly for Celtic
3) On order 2006 Pomeroy 12 fret not raised F4. Will probably make the Weber obsolete and be used for Celtic.
Tony

Moose
Dec-07-2005, 2:43pm
(1.)Charles HORNER "A"(1990) - love this mando!(like to find an "F" Horner..!?) - (2.) New('05) NEELEY(Damascus, VA.)"F"; blond ; a beautiful piece ; getting better!! - (3.)FLATIRON "A" "Performer"('99) ; sunburst,Exc. condition, good "chop" & balance.., (that I am considering selling to "recoup" my expense($$!) for the recently acquired NEELEY). My "first-love" : My HORNER "A" ..it's a cannon!! -(Mr. Horner told me Aubrey Haney(sp.) was the original owner/buyer...'nuff' said. Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Willie Poole
Dec-08-2005, 12:38am
`81 Barnes (Loar copy):`01 Flatiron Festival; `67 Waltersdorf F-5 copy, `67 Givens A model; 1920 Lyon & Healy (Been sold But I still have it)`72 Martin D-18, `50 Kay blonde bass, an unknown date and make fiddle...and UGH a Yamaha keyboard....The Flatiron is the best hands down...Willie

BradB
Dec-08-2005, 8:29am
1. 2003 Sawchyn S-5 (F5 style). This one gets played the most lately.
2. 1999 Sawchyn A-2 (oval hole A style). Especially great for celtic and old time. My wife's favorite mandolin.
3. 2000? Old Wave C# f-hole. Love this one too. I am more comfortable with a pickguard, so I'll probably play it more when I add a pickguard to it.
4. Mandobird - for practicing quietly.
5. A flat-top mando that I built -- wall decoration http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Brad B.

AndyG
Dec-11-2005, 2:18pm
Gibson F4 1916
Pavlu F5
Capek F4
The Pavlu probably gets the most play time and is allowed out with the Capek.The Gibson is lovely but stays home.

Gina Le Faux
Jul-10-2010, 5:21pm
1915 GIBSON A mandolin - Blonde
1915 GIBSON H1 mandola - Blonde
191? GIBSON A1 mandolin - Blonde (No serial number - top block has been replaced)
1920 Gibson A Sheraton brown mandolin
1921 Gibson A4 Blackface mandolin
1993 Flatiron F5 Chocolate Brown (with tone bars) made in Bozeman, Montana signed by Bruce Webber
1970's Chris Eccleshall solid mahogany body electric mandolin
1878 Sentchordi Hermanos roundback mandolin made in Valencia
1890's F De Mureda roundback mandolin made in Napoli
1972 Eastern European flatback mandolin (My first mandolin)

My favourites are my Flatiron F5 and my Gibson A4 and I'm falling in love with my Gibson H1 mandola, but I love them all really!
I'm looking around for an old Gibson F2 blacktop and a Gibson mandocello, I'm not saying that I'm not happy with my mando's, but I could be happier! :-)

Gina

Don Christy
Jul-10-2010, 5:54pm
Too many, but never enough... :cool:

1. Kimble F5
2. Silver Angel F5
3. Gilchrist Model 1
4. Gibson F2
5. Pomeroy F4
6. Mann SEM 5
7. Michael Kelly F5
8. Martin tenor

Don

sgarrity
Jul-10-2010, 6:30pm
Here's my stable. Just down to one mandolin but might add an oval hole in the next year or so.

1) Bill Davis F5 Artist
2) Collings D1A
3) Gibson Hummingbird

Im a much better mandolin player than guitar player. But somehow I wound up with two of them. Go figure....

So that was my post from 5 years ago. Man have I owned a couple mandolins since then! LOL I still have the Hummingbird, I know the owner of the D1A, and the Davis F5 is for sale at MWHQ. My herd has expanded considerably!

1) Heiden A5
2) Kimble A4
3) Kimble Mandola
4) Kentucky KM1000
5) Flatiron 3MC Bouzouki/Octave Mando
6) Flatiron 3K Mandola (in mint condition)
7) Bourgeois DB Sig. OM guitar
8) Gibson Hummingbird
9) Vega Little Wonder Tenor Banjo (needs some work)
10) Gold Tone Irish Tenor Banjo

fatt-dad
Jul-10-2010, 7:05pm

pre-Gibson Flatiron A5-1
pre-Gibson Flatiron 1N
Stiver A
Taterbug (wall hanger)
and. . . . ALL THESE (shameless plug) (http://home.comcast.net/~fatt-dad/mando4sale.html)
Aria M-300 two point
Kentucky KM-160
Ibanez Blonde finish A

Needless to say, the first four are my keepers. #For the normal evening, I grab my 1N the most (right now). #I love both my Flatiron and my Stiver A and can't quite figure out which is better, why I need both, or if I'll ever sell either - oh well. #There is quite a history with me and the old Gibson, so it stays also. #No matter what I say about those though, when I'm at the beach, my Montana is my favorite - I mean don't we all need something to get sand on?

f-d

And five years later, I still have the first three. Sold my Stiver (shouldn't have likely done that, but it's well loved) and had a Stanley and Muth to dabble in the F's - returned the Stanley and sold the Muth. I learned I don't take to the F's. My father has my Hondo and I still love my beach mandolin. Sold the others. I haven't had MAS in years. I play my pancake most often, but will keep the a3 and the A5 for backup. Kind of backwards, but hey, I love my Flatiron 1N - simple, understated and loud!

f-d

woodwizard
Jul-10-2010, 7:36pm
Wow! you guys have a lot of nice stuff!

David Rambo
Jul-10-2010, 7:53pm
I have:

1. Eastman MD-805 D
2. Tom Jessen-oval Hole, A style
3. Bowl back from the late 1800's-early 1900's
4. Tom Jessen Octave Mandolin-oval hole, A style

I've stopped at this point for a while, but MAS can strike at any time!

Dave

Chris Biorkman
Jul-10-2010, 7:59pm
I got nothin'.

JEStanek
Jul-10-2010, 11:42pm
I got nothin'.

... for now.

Jamie

Buck
Jul-11-2010, 12:47am
More than enough. That's all my wife knows, and that's all I'm going to say here.:whistling:

300win
Jul-11-2010, 6:39am
took me 45 years to get them but finally two, that I'll never get rid of.

2005 Gibson A-9
2009 Gibson F-5 Jam-Master

Ladyfingerpicker
Nov-12-2010, 7:42pm
"How many do you own?" Four mandolins, one octave mandolin, and one mandobanjo. (Whaddaya mean, the mandobanjo doesn't count?!)

"How many mandolins are enough?" There is no such number.

"Of all that you own, which one is your favorite?" The one I obtained most recently: a Breedlove Quartz FO with a gloss honeyburst finish. However, the one I obtain next, whatever it is, will likely become my favorite then, and so forth ad infinitum... because what's the point in obtaining another one if not to upgrade or to fill a gap in sound quality and/or playability that the rest of the collection cannot?

fatt-dad
Nov-12-2010, 9:33pm

pre-Gibson Flatiron A5-1
pre-Gibson Flatiron 1N
Stiver A
Taterbug (wall hanger)
Aria M-300 two point
Kentucky KM-160
Ibanez Blonde finish A

f-d

sold all but the first three, the Hondo and my beach mandolin. Bought and sold a few others.

f-d

Eddie Sheehy
Nov-12-2010, 11:11pm
A lot...

F-2 Dave
Nov-12-2010, 11:26pm
1910 Gibson A4
1921 Gibson F2
1951 Martin O 18T
1962 Fender electric mandolin
2009 Collings MT

catmandu2
Nov-13-2010, 2:43pm
sold all but the first three, the Hondo and my beach mandolin. Bought and sold a few others.

Is it an age thing? With my 50th year, I'm taking a less-is-more approach--in the past year I've traded, liquidated, or otherwise relenquished:

10 guitars
3 tenor banjos
2 mandolins
2 ukuleles
1 5-string banjo
1 hammered dulcimer
1 dog

But now that I think of it, it's more a life change than downsizing, I guess; I've acquired:

2 saxes
2 keyboards
set of congas
some amps
1 child

JeffD
Nov-13-2010, 8:40pm
Personal Ad: "More is more" person looking to team up with a few "less is more" folks. Definite symbiotic possibilities. :)

Truth is I have more mandolins than I ever thought I would have back when this thread got started. They serve different functions in the different kinds of playing I like to do. While none of them are super dupers, some of them are really good, and all of them are a lot of fun. I am not trying to amass a collection or to fill in all the blanks, its a very non-deliberate (organic) approach - when the right mandolin lines up with the right price, and my biorhythms are such that my urge to acquire is high and my common sense is low, and my cash flow is not hiding under a turtle in embarrasment, .... well things happen and my small hoard grows.

F5G WIZ
Nov-14-2010, 6:33am
Poe #5
Neeley #72
Kentucky A model with fishman pickup (for Afghanistan)

Mandolin Mick
Nov-14-2010, 6:40am
I own 3 at the present time, though I have had others and am keeping my eye open for additional mandolins ... ;)
1. 1936 Gibson A-Century
2. Gibson F-9
3. Kentucky KM-855

Steve Ostrander
Nov-14-2010, 10:58am
I have two...for now.

Randy Smith
Nov-14-2010, 12:20pm
The ones I had are almost as interesting to think about as the ones I have.
Had. . .
1. Kay A w/ f-holes. Sounded so-so but played great. I'd buy this back in a minute.
2. Aria F-5 copy. Thought this was a big improvement over the Kay since this one had a scroll. Well, we were all young once.
3. Kentucky F-5. Did sound better than the Aria.
4. A Harmony electric bought used in 1981 and sold in 1983. Letting this go was a mistake. Email me if you see it walking by in your town.

Have now. . .
1. 1919 A-2. In the last two years it's had sinkge repaired, fretboard planed, frets replaced, nut replaced, original birdge replaced with a Cumberland, and original tuners replaced with vintage Stew Macs. If I'm around at ninety-one, I hope I sound as good.
2. 1924 A jr. Has a very narrow neck and a much different sound than the A-2.
2. 2007 (?) Weber mandola. Amazing treble.

journeybear
Nov-14-2010, 12:33pm
Don't own any - they own me!!! :crying: :)) :crying: :)) :crying:

bmac
Nov-14-2010, 4:28pm
I believe I have fifteen msandos now about half of them are being repaired and are not in not playable condition. A few will end up as wall hangersThey are:

Mid-Missouri 2005 (a wonderful sounding instrument)
Recording King resonater mandolin 2007 (Raukus and fun)
Stradolin 1935/6? (a terrific player with fine sound)
La Melodia mandolin circa 1930? (interesting and approaching resophonic sound)
Lyra brand (Regal) mandolin circa 1937? (under restoration... a really odd looking mando)
Portugese oval hole circa 1952 (nice sounding especially for celtic)
Saga kit built mando f hole (A nice player but a little quiet for my taste)
Saga kit built mando oval hole (very nice sounding)
Saga kit built mando f hole (still under construction)
Bowl back 1920? (bowlbacks are being restored)
Bowl back 1920?
Bowl back 1920?
Banjo mandolin 1920? (These are fun instruments)
Banjo mandolin 1920?
Banjo mandolin 1920?

others:
guitars (four low end and not such great players)

Banjos:
Deering Goodtime tenor... (fine sounding)
NoName tenor banjo 1930?... Irish tuning. Wonderful quality construction and sound for a department store banjo
NoName tenor in poor cosmetic condition (a low quality instrument but it plays OK)

Cello (student level = nice condition, under repairfor small area of missing purfelling, Should restore well)

Brent Hutto
Nov-14-2010, 4:40pm
As of next week I will own two mandolins. But after a few weeks with both of them it will probably return to one.

I also own three guitars but hope to reduce that to one at some point next year.

peterleyenaar
Nov-20-2010, 5:54pm
1, 5 violins

Ed Goist
Nov-20-2010, 7:26pm
I'm down to two mandolins, with a third (my presumptive new 'Big Gun') on the drawing board.
I also own four fine, well set-up guitars (none of which I've played since falling in love with the little eight-stringed wonder).
My plan is to move one of more of the now neglected guitars.

John Kinn
Nov-20-2010, 8:18pm
Epiphone MM-50
Gibson A40
Gibson A9

Number one never leaves the closet, the other two still fight for my attention...

Ben Milne
Nov-20-2010, 8:20pm
Five mandolin family instruments at the moment.

Everyday mandos:

My beloved acoustic - Snakehead A5JR style - made by paternal hands. (a give-son)
My main electrics:
- 2006 Tuccierelli Les Paul style emando
- The VIII - my Hotrodded Mandobird - Almuse and Gibson electronics, hotrod paint.
also in the stable: - Clearwater mandocaster - loaner/beater electric

and purchased yet thousands of kilometers away:

Acoustic mandola - Snakehead teardrop f-hole mandola. Instrument had been altered by someone who performed unsolicited work and it sat on the hooks for years as a blem. I couldn't leave it sitting there any longer it plays and sounds a treat and makes a wonderful sibling with my mandolin.

fredfrank
Nov-20-2010, 11:50pm
One, Red Diamond Vintage Model.

jasona
Nov-21-2010, 12:01am
Just one, and its my favourite!

Still just this one, my L. Ratcliff A5

(2005? :disbelief: I should be much better than I am)

GRW3
Nov-21-2010, 12:12am
I wanted to be a collector but I found out I am truly a serial player. I play one guitar and one mandolin - period. The only way I will play an alternative is when the primary is not there. For instance, I keep a guitar at work for lunch time playing. I used to keep my #2 mando there until I traded it and the #1 mando and the then #1 guitar in to get my current #1 mando.

JeffD
Nov-21-2010, 1:43am

Family portrait. Left to right: Martin bowlback, Martin Style 3 bowlback, Gibson A2 snakehead, Paris Swing John Jorgenson, Weber Aspen II, Washburn bowlback, American Conservatory bowlback, and in the front a Flatiron (pre-Gibson) mandola.

Not shown is the fiddle, tenor guitar, penny whistle, piano, two ukuleles and a ukulele banjo.

BBK
Nov-21-2010, 5:13pm
Just one a Newson F5.......and it's all I need.

JeffD
Nov-22-2010, 1:46pm
If I only owned what I need, my life would be entirely different! :)

catmandu2
Nov-22-2010, 1:55pm
If I only owned what I need, my life would be entirely different! :)

Amen! If we only used what we had...our lives would be different.

But a nice rack there, Jeff. I still say that mandos are among the best instruments to fetishize. Mandolins and concertinas..

JeffD
Nov-22-2010, 3:04pm
I still say that mandos are among the best instruments to fetishize. ..

Probably among the best objects to fetishize actually.