PDA

View Full Version : F5 finished

bobz
Jul-20-2005, 9:58pm
Well I`ve finally finished my first F5 mandolin built from scratch using the Don McRostie plans. I messed up a little on the sunbursting but the finsh came out well. Here`s some pictures.

bobz
Jul-20-2005, 10:00pm
Another

bobz
Jul-20-2005, 10:01pm
Another

bobz
Jul-20-2005, 10:02pm
Whoops. I forgot the picture.

bobz
Jul-20-2005, 10:04pm
Another.

bobz
Jul-20-2005, 10:05pm
The back.

bobz
Jul-20-2005, 10:07pm
The last one.

Darren Kern
Jul-20-2005, 10:52pm
Awesome job, you should be very proud. I don't know how you think you messed up but I can't tell...

mandoJeremy
Jul-20-2005, 11:28pm
That is a very nice sunburst you did on there and the recurve looks great also. Nice job.

Stephanie Reiser
Jul-21-2005, 4:41am
very nice job. I thought the finish looked great. Would love to see a close up of the headstock.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

csstanley
Jul-21-2005, 6:59am
Thats a good looking first one.

I hope and pray the day that i do decide to make my first, I will do halfthe job most of yall do.

Thats a good looking mando Bob.

Stanley Cox
Jul-21-2005, 7:30am
Way to go Bob, great looking mandolin. I have appreciated your posts while making it. Good job.
Stanley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Lane Pryce
Jul-21-2005, 7:33am
Very commendable!!Mistake???Where at??!!That is a very fine mandolin and you should be very proud.Hows it play and sound? Lp

Mando4Life
Jul-21-2005, 8:14am
Look mighty fine to me.

Congrats!

WBL

mandomick
Jul-21-2005, 8:28am
You don't need to be ashamed of anything on that mando. I like the 'burst, nice and subtle.

JEStanek
Jul-21-2005, 8:31am
Very nice. Excellent work.

Jamie

mandopete
Jul-21-2005, 8:38am
I only wish that I could "mess up" that good <grins>

Great looking mandolin!

bobz
Jul-21-2005, 9:21pm
Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I`m afraid I don`t play mandolin but I did learn a few chords to strum and all I can say is it sent a shiver down my spine when I played it for the first time. Does that convey anything about how it sounds ? This mando is for sale, so I guess the new owner will have to open it up. This phonomena of an new instrument opening up with playing certainly is true. When I finished my classical guitar I was dissapointed with the sound, but after playing for a few months I distinctly noticed an improvement in the sound.
As requested Amanda Lyn here`s a photo of the headstock.

BadeInBulverde
Jul-22-2005, 11:43am
This is VERY NICE! I only hope my 1st (and in progress) F from the StewMac kit turns out even close to what you have here ... in fact ... at this point I'm just hoping for a Mandolin vs firewood!

Congrats! Well done!

Bade

testore
Jul-23-2005, 3:11pm
number 1 ? WOW that's a great job. I hope you plan on making more. It kinda gets in your blood. Are you losing a lot of sleep yet planning on your next one? That is certainly a sign of an incureable disease. Good luck.
Gary

Stephanie Reiser
Jul-23-2005, 8:05pm
Nice headstock, BobZ. Very well done! great mitres, and well thought out inlays. Good over all shape. Thank you for posting that headstock for me.
Now its time to sweep the floor and start ripping maple sides for the next one.

bobz
Jul-23-2005, 10:19pm
Hello Gary. Yes I do intend to make some more. I thoroughly enjoyed making this mando, and now I know what is involved in the making the next ones are going to be that bit easier. Besides I`ve got jigs, templates, carving cradle etc. that I`ve put time into ( and don`t have to make either ), so building the next ones should go a lot quicker. My next project I`m planning at the moment is a jazz archtop guitar for myself. I`ve just finished making a Charles Fox side bending machine and I shall be ordering the materials soon. Here`s a photo of the bender.

mandoman15
Jul-24-2005, 7:04pm
taht really is impressive you should be very proud of your work, in fact become so proud that you decide to send me the prototype to test drive... i wouldn't mind. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif no seriously, if you want to drop me a line, and i'll give you the adress.