PDA

View Full Version : I need another mando

Pen
Mar-21-2005, 10:25am
I purchased a great mando which I love about 4 months ago (a Turkey Creek). The thing is a hoss when played acoustically. My problem is I recently started playing with a group that is comprised of a drum, 2 guitars, bass and keyboards (guitars and bass are all electric). My current setup is to play into a Shure 57 mic. That's just not getting it done. I just can't be heard.

I'm assuming I need to purchase a mando with pickup (I don't want to put pickups on my TC mando - imo it would ruin it). I've looked around and have only seen Ovations that sorta fit my bill. I really only have about $500 to spend (my finacee will kill me if i drop more than that after I just spent $2k last December). I'd prefer a used mando (more bang for my buck) that sounds decent unplugged but will hold it's own when plugged in with the band. What are some good options?

Any ideas that will allow me to showcase my mandolin in this group?

Thanks!

Professor PT
Mar-21-2005, 11:02am
There are some non-invasive pick-ups you could use; I'll let others go into the details, but I wouldn't buy another mando just to play plugged in.

John Flynn
Mar-21-2005, 11:36am
I agree with the professor. For under $500, there isn't much, unless you can perhaps find an MK with a built-in pickup used. A better deal would be to take your $500 and get a good pickup that is removable and non-marking. The Schetler Dyn-M seems to be popular, as a high-end option. You can sometimes find them used in the Cafe' Classifieds or on EBay. You could use it in conjunction with your mike and get a great sound with no feedback.

darthstar
Mar-21-2005, 12:37pm
The band just needs to give you more solos.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Mar-21-2005, 1:44pm
who can't hear you? on stage? in practice? what's coming thru out front?
I play acoustic with a loud rock band. The usual culprits, drums, very loud guitar,bass,keyboard,percussion. I use a SM57. I have learned to hear myself rather than count on the monitors.
Often (more often than I would prefer) we have to gain the 57 quite a bit, just below feedback level, but it works if you eq carefully by cutting the highs and lows and fine tuning the mids. If the others are loud to the point that's not possible, then perhaps for songs with mandolin everyone else needs to bring down the volume.

rasa

Pen
Mar-21-2005, 2:44pm
Who can't here me? Lol - everyone - including myself at times. I know next to nothing about amp's and setting up the sound. Our guitarist takes care of most of it. Basically, he hooks in the 2 guitars, the vocal mic's and my mando mic into a multi-channel amp. We turn up the mando mic as loud as we can without getting feedback. Once we really start jamming - I get drowned out.

I thought about just lowering the sound level of everyone - but then they would be drowned out by the drummer. So, it seemed logical to find a way to just increase the sound of the mando.

Another question - how much volume increase would I see from a Schentler DYN-M compared to the current setup I am using? Will a pickup allow me to turn up more?

Again - thanks for the advise. I really enjoy playing with these guys. We do a lot of rock/blues which allows me to really open up and improvise which I love. A perfect example of my issues was last night at practice. We where taking turns taking breaks on House of the Rising Sun. A spot opened up and I took my solo. As I finished (and I was really tearing it up!), the bass player looked at me and said "Ok - your turn". I just had to chuckle.

And one other question - I've seen some Fender solid body mando's at an inexpensive price. Do they sound like a mando at all? I've never played one - but am guessing I could just bring out my electric guitar and play up the neck and sound similar. I love the sound of the accousic mando and am looking to keep that (otherwise the solid body would be an obvious choice I suppose).

John Flynn
Mar-21-2005, 2:48pm
Pen:

You should get a lot more volume out of any pickup before you encouter feedback. An additional help would be to get a preamp that has a feedback filter. That will help even more.

PCypert
Mar-21-2005, 3:35pm
If you're wanting to maintain that great acoustic sound invest in a high end pick up and preamp box. If you guys don't completely rely on that sound you could always pick up a Godin A8, Not the best sound, but a easy playing mandolin priced right. Much better than a MK or some other Pac Rim.
Paul

b.pat
Mar-21-2005, 3:54pm
I was in your position a few years back. I guess I didn't know any better but a fishman bridge pickup was a simple and inexpensive fix . They don't get many complements around here, but it worked fine for me. I still keep it on my "Honky-Tonk" mando. I almost always use a preamp to help with the pick click ect.
Good luck,
B.Pat

Klaus Wutscher
Mar-21-2005, 4:04pm
Here´s what works for me: Shertler PU + preamp (preamp is optional; it does not seem to do much) right into an AER Acousticcube (as a monitor) and from the amps line out into the mixer. That way you have a good line signal for the mains plus you can have monitor in front of you (monitors) and behind you (your amp). The volume of the amp is independent from the main mix so you can turn it up once the guitarist finished his second beer and this will not affect the mains. If that is not enough, you may have a volume issue in your band. I would also not buy another mando, especially at that pricepoint. Also, nothing breaks in a new ax faster than some stagetime. You got a good mando- put it to good use.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Mar-21-2005, 7:44pm
"....may have a volume issue...."
Sound like it to me. The drums need to cooperate - good luck. I know how hard it is to find decent drummers, and even harder to find those who know how control their volume level. I would focus on that. In time, there may be a solution. #
And also, from your description, it sounds like the sound system you are using is totally basic. Many a musician has made do, and made great music, #with very marginal situations, but it ain't easy.
Take the advice of those who use the pickups (don't forget the preamp) sucessfully.

rasa

mandroid
Mar-22-2005, 12:40am
imagine the cover off the 57 and the capsule in contact with the top of the mandolin. thats the gain from the DynM.
clip indicator light goes on with energetic strokes of the pick.

acousticphd
Mar-22-2005, 3:55pm
We where taking turns taking breaks on House of the Rising Sun. #A spot opened up and I took my solo. #As I finished (and I was really tearing it up!), the bass player looked at me and said "Ok - your turn". #I just had to chuckle.

I second the suggestion above to use your good, current mando. If your band members aren't even aware you are taking your break, and don't/won't adjust their levels accordingly (that includes the drummer), it sounds to me a lot more like a listening/attention/balance issue, not your instrument's volume. I think your group might record a few of your practice jams, and then have some discussions about what type of sound and musical interactions you're after. Good luck,

Yellowmandolin
Mar-23-2005, 8:51pm
I too play in rock band and micing it was not working. When I got the Shertler, the volume increase was amazing and way better than my other mando with the fishman. There is very little feedback even at considerable volume.

Andy Morton
Mar-24-2005, 12:44am
You can get a "stick on" fishman or other similar pick-up and run it through an accoustic preamp (Baggs, Fishman, ART tube). #The preamp will have EQ (tone-bass-treble) adjustments and volume control. #I was in the same boat as you----tried a SM57 and wasn't working and I didn't want to invade my mando with a permanent pick up. #The above worked well for me and I spent about $200-250 in total. #

I chose this option since I am a mostly an accoustic player and only occasionally plug in.

Andy

mandough
Mar-24-2005, 11:34am
I bought a Washburn MS3 for under $500 for this exact reason. It doesn't sound very good acoustically. Mostly, it's just kind of quiet. It has a built in piezo pickup in the bridge. Acoustically (straight plugged in) it sounds like ####.
All loud, boomy and way too much pick noise. I use a Boss Compressor/sustainer then to a amp and mic. With this setup and electric instruments, it sounds great. I guess it just depends on the type of music you play and what sound you want in your band.

Pen
May-20-2005, 1:53pm
Well, it's been a few months and I've finally fixed my sound issue. I figured I'd let you know what I came up with.

I decided not to put any type of pickup on my Turkey Creek. I play bluegrass jams 2-3 times a month and just didn't want the hastle of taking a pickup off every time I play (or worse - leaving it on).

After much searching I finally picked up a Dean Playmate on the classifieds here for $200. It had pickups factory installed with a volume and tone control on the face.

I plug into our multi-channel amp through an old Digitech peddle which seems to boost the signal. Once I raised the bridge the Dean plays great. It had a bit of a buzz on the A & E string. In my electric environment, the mando more than fits the bill. The Dean souns ok unplugged as well (which suprised me).

My bandmates commented last night at practice how much better we sound now that the mando can be heard. I'm pretty excited about fixing this sound issue for $200 AND feeding my MAS at the same time.

Also, this was my first experience buying from the Cafe's classified section. What a great experience. I got a new toy and made a new friend in the process (THANKS LOUIE!). We truly have a great bunch of people that make up the Mandolincafe family.

Oh, and wish me luck. I'm playing my first gig with this mando on Saturday. -)