PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Grommets

Professor PT
Mar-16-2005, 1:43am
Okay, I finally found these at the local Radio Shack, but I'm a bit perplexed as to how they are to be installed. Do I simply wedge them in between the strings, or do I thread the strings through them when I change strings? It seems I've seen photos of both methods. I have tried simply wedging them, and it cuts down a bit on the overtones, but it doesn't get rid of them entirely. Is the other method more effective?

250sc
Mar-16-2005, 7:51am
You wedge them between the strings to dampen the vibrations between the bridge and tail piece. Try moving them to different locations between the bridge and tailpiece to see where you like them (if you like them).

Good luck.

250sc
Mar-16-2005, 7:52am
By the way, what kinds of overtones are you getting and what kind of instrument?

mandopete
Mar-16-2005, 10:11am
Yeah, just put 'em between each course of strings. You can slide them up and down behind the bridge to make interesting patterns. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I find this method is preferable to trying to wind a little piece of leather between the strings. You may find that you get some unwanted overtones from the strings behind the nut (up to the tunning gears) as well.

Steven Stone
Mar-16-2005, 11:20am
Since I make "Steve's Silencers" which are named afer Steve Smith, not me, by the way, I think I can answer you.

I put four in the area between the bridge and tailpiece, in between each course of strings. As far as postition I make a nice diamond pattern, but some people, such as Tom Rozum, put the silencers back by the tailpiece. When I saw him recently I asked about why he wasn't using the silencers on his Loar and he said, "Sure I am, but they are tucked under the tailpice cover's front edge so you can't see them. Tricky devil.

I also use four silencers in the headstock, two next to the nut one between the G and D course and one between the A and E course. Then I use two others back between the E and G courses. This requires 8 small grommets, which I don't believe you can get out of one Radioshack kit, so you must buy two, which makes the RS grommets nearly the same price as one of my Silencer packs. Of course my Silencers are natural rubber while RS's are vinyl, which I consider an important difference. Also my packs require less gas and less time to buy, but, whatever, it's your choice. Sales pitch is over. I'll be putting a fresh ad in the classifieds soon, but if you're in a hurry Greg Boyd always stocks silencers.

Nathan Sanders
Mar-16-2005, 11:30am
Check page 10 of this thread where I have posted a picture of my Flatiron 2MC with the little rubber donuts on it:
Topic: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N, what's the word on these? (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=15802;st=250)

Professor PT
Mar-16-2005, 12:44pm
Yeah, I've got mine correctly installed. I guess it's just a matter of fooling around with placement to get the desired effect. BTW, in response to one of the replies, I'm using these on a Gibson F-9.

Skittle
Mar-16-2005, 5:35pm
The silencers are ok but if you break a string........then you've lost one. I have put a small half moon size of a piece of bicycle intertube under the tailpiece and eliminated all overtones...........works great.

Lane Pryce
Mar-16-2005, 6:25pm
A piece of leather boot lace woven through the strings does the same thing and will not fly off into outer space with a broken string.Its cheap too. Lp

PaulD
Mar-16-2005, 6:40pm
Prof,

I've considered the grommets, but I've been using the leather bootlace since I had scraps from making my mando straps. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but Eagle hardware store always had the best selection of hardware and related doodads (such as grommets) of any place around Salt Lake. They are now Lowe's of course, and the hardware selection has dropped off, but it's still better than places like Home Despot.

I was able to find some brass cotter pins there to replace the pivots that had broken on my ~100 year old fiddle coffin case. They came out looking great with the rest of the brass hardware; but that's not what you're here to read now, is it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Paul Doubek

AlanN
Mar-16-2005, 7:02pm
I find them to be invaluable.

gremlin
Mar-27-2005, 11:06am
if you are having trouble finding rubber grommets to put in your strings check out technical tattoo supply they have them. and they are cheap too like 3.00 for 100 and they have them in diffrent colors too(purple, red,green, blue, and clown vomit). tattoo artits like myself use them everytime we tattoo to hold the needle tight against the armature. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Ken Sager
Mar-31-2005, 6:53pm
There you have it.

Put them wherever you want, they're simply meant to dampen the string on the tailpiece side of the bridge.

Comme ca: