PDA

View Full Version : Priority one

mandowannabe
Mar-14-2005, 12:28pm
What upgrade can I do to improve the sound of my mandolin the most. This is a starter mando for my grandson. Besides strings, should I change the bridge, tailpiece or what? Thanks G.B.

J. Mark Lane
Mar-14-2005, 12:39pm
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

jim simpson
Mar-14-2005, 12:49pm
Throw away that thin flexible pick and get a nice stiff one!

Tim
Mar-14-2005, 12:50pm
mandowannabe - Without know the specs for what it currently has I'd say the best upgrade is a professional setup to ensure that it will stay in tune and has reasonable action for a beginning player. #That should lead to a recommendation if the bridge, tailpiece, tuners, etc are substandard to the point of affecting a beginner's playing.

mandowannabe
Mar-14-2005, 1:00pm
Thanks Tim. I'm planning a trip to Forman Arkansas to visit with John Gathright who is a great luthier. He will be able to advise me while actually looking at the mandolin. I appreciate your kind and serious answer. G.B.

Jeff A
Mar-14-2005, 2:31pm
Lessons would be the best upgrade you could do

Lane Pryce
Mar-14-2005, 3:12pm
Ditto re the setup. Lp

mandowannabe
Mar-14-2005, 3:15pm
Thanks Jeff, the lessons are already going on. G.B.

John Flynn
Mar-14-2005, 3:24pm
Another ditto on the setup.

Ken Sager
Mar-14-2005, 4:12pm
Ditto the setup & lessons dittos.

J. Mark Lane
Mar-14-2005, 5:49pm
By the way, ignoring my flippant response earlier (meant in good humor), it has been my general experience that upgrading the bridge has the most meaningful effect on the sound of the instrument. Of course, that would not apply to a higher level instrument that came with a very good bridge in the first place. But most entry level and intermediate mandolins I have seen could benefit from a good bridge. Second thing would probably be a decent nut, not only made of a good material (bone, pearl), but also cut properly (spacing, depth etc).

Mark

mandowannabe
Mar-14-2005, 9:35pm
Thanks J. Mark. I piddle around repairing fiddles and some old junker mandolins, but don't feel real comfortable with setting up a mandolin for real. It has always been my opinion that trying to learn how to play on a poor instrument is kind of like trying to learn how to shool with a gun that has a crooked barrell. At any rate, I bought this entry level mandolin for my grandson because he has not demonstrated that he is really fired up. I don't want to push him, just make it available. If he shows interest I will upgrade. Thanks again for your advice. Is this a great site or what? G.B.

mandroid
Mar-14-2005, 9:50pm
at least see to the action is low enough, and all the frets are level. so it notes clearly, with reasonable effort, without mechanical handicapping.
maybe single string it for a while , until grip strength improves.

J. Mark Lane
Mar-14-2005, 10:24pm
I invested in a set of nut files from StewMac, and although they were expensive it was a great thing to do. Now, I can clean up the nut slots, making them slightly deeper, etc. I also picked up a neat little nut vice from them. It sits on a table (standalone, you don't need to bolt it down), and you can clamp a nut or a saddle in it and file the slots. Great little tool. These and a handful of other tools are helping me get to the point of being comfortable doing setups. BTW, the StewMac vids are great -- expensive, but well worth it. I got the dvd on fret work, and my next investment will be in some fretting tools.

Mark

mandowannabe
Mar-15-2005, 10:27am
I'm retiring in May and plan to invest in just those sort of things so I can ride off into the sunset happily puttering with my mandolins and fiddles. G.B.:D

bjc
Mar-16-2005, 10:37am
I'm surprised no one has suggested a tonegard...of course if the mando is not set-up properly it would only make an instrument that is hard to play and out of tune LOUDER...tee hee But, I think a tonegard would be a great upgrade...

Steven Stone
Mar-16-2005, 11:22am
#1 - A pro set-up done by someone who actually plays mandolin.

#2 - tonegard

#3 - A Stetson Open Road style hat http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tim
Mar-16-2005, 11:36am
Considering the context of the question was for a starter mandolin for someone whose long term interst is uncertain, are those toneguard suggestions serious? #My experience with them is only what I've read on this board but my impression is that they do nothing for playabilty.

250sc
Mar-16-2005, 12:23pm
Tim,

The original post was "What upgrade can I do to improve the sound of my mandolin the most. This is a starter mando for my grandson. Besides strings, should I change the bridge, tailpiece or what? Thanks G.B."

You're right that the ToneGard won't change the playability but on many mandolins it can help the tone.

8ch(pl)
Mar-17-2005, 8:48pm
A cast tailpiece is a major investment. You may pick one up second hand for $50, but they cost 1 to 1 1/2 times that new.

You may look at making a maple bridge. Red Henry's site will show you how. 2 or 3 different height bridges will handle seasonal dimension changes caused by differences in humidity. I personally feel that an adjustable bridge renders inferior sound. However, purchase of a custom ebony one will likely improve the sound.

A bone nut will also be a factor. Both nut and bridge will be considerably less money than a cast bronze tailpiece.