PDA

View Full Version : Tonegard in GWW case

El Rey del Mando
Mar-11-2005, 4:24pm
I know there is lots of threads about this but not like what I'm going to tell you.I figured that you guys need lots of room to light me up after reading this.I just bought a GWW case from Mike here on the cafe.My instrument did not fit,with the Tonegard in place as was talked about in other threads.Well,It fits now!All you need is a good set of grapes,a hammer and a piece of round steel bar stock of some sort.(I used a piece of 3/4 inch steel rod.)The reason that the gard dosen't fit is because the part of it that holds it on the instrument hits the sides of the cut out for the instrument in the case.Well,here goes.Take the mando with the gard in place,put it in position in the case and mark the places where the tonegard hits.Ok here it comes,remove mando away from danger.now,position the steel on the marks,support the case with your leg and hit the steel 7 or 8 times.Go around all three positions.The wood will give enough to put the instrument in the case, with the gard on, with no damage to the case.You won't even see any signs of where you did the dasterdly deed.If you have a weak stomach,don't do this.I figure that I can normaly fix anything I break so I took a chance on my new GWW.It worked like a charm.What the heck,I built my own airplane and flew it and I'm still around to talk about it.So,a mando case,no problem.I don't like taking the tone gard on and off all the time.By the way,I tried my Gibson,my Flatiron artist and the one I just built just to be sure.They all fit perfect.....Ok I am ready to stand trial now!Come on,give it to me.AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

John

Mando4Life
Mar-11-2005, 4:28pm
why you lousy no good....just kidding..

glad to see you found a fix...my dad used to always say that most things can be "re-engineered" to work how you want it.

congrats!!

WBL

Scotti Adams
Mar-11-2005, 4:33pm
The Tone-Gard wont fit in my Presto while on the mando..but it does have ample room too store while off the mando....I aint got the guts to do what you did.

El Rey del Mando
Mar-11-2005, 4:36pm
Come on Scotti,It's only a case.Don't forget,I said grapes.

John

recklessmando
Mar-11-2005, 4:46pm
I'm a function over form guy myself so I can appreciate your modification techniques. Plus, in my younger days I did some maintenance for an outfit whose motto was, "If you use a big enough hammer something's gonna happen". You would've fit right in.

Scotti Adams
Mar-11-2005, 4:47pm
Im gonna wait and see how my new Rose fits once I get it in May before I think about altering anything....this Rose Im playing now is just a little wider in the bout...

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Mar-11-2005, 4:54pm
Isn't this like a government motto: "Pound it to fit, paint it to match"?

Bradley
Mar-11-2005, 6:16pm
Hey Scotti,

I'll trade you the new GWW for that Presto and you then can get your Tone Guard in the case...... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Scotti Adams
Mar-11-2005, 6:17pm
..what...cant hear you.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

J. Mark Lane
Mar-11-2005, 6:39pm
Uh, ...what's with the grapes?

El Rey del Mando
Mar-11-2005, 7:03pm
Grapes? You can't say the other word here on the cafe,Aw nuts!

John

J. Mark Lane
Mar-11-2005, 7:05pm
Oh. Silly me.

El Rey del Mando
Mar-11-2005, 7:07pm
J.Mark, You got em, my brother ?

John

J. Mark Lane
Mar-11-2005, 7:37pm
You betcha, John.

Only thing is, I don't need 'em. I have a GWW case, and a Tone Gard...but I don't need the Tone Gard any more. I bought a Gibson.

Ha ha ha. Sorry. I already used this lame joke once. Just couldn't resist it again.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Mar-11-2005, 7:51pm
I don't need the Tone Gard any more. #I bought a Gibson. #

Ha ha ha. #Sorry. #I already used this lame joke once. #Just couldn't resist it again.

=^) Good one, Mark. I already had a Gibson-bought a Collings. Best of both worlds.

I used to think my tone-gard fit in my Calton because I'd had the case for a while, but it even fits in the new Calton I got with the Collings. Good thing, cause I don't think the pipe technique would work on a Calton.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

El Rey del Mando
Mar-11-2005, 9:10pm
J. mark,If you think about throwing that tonegard away,Just chuck it up towards norwalk.We are only a couple towns away.I'll catch it.

John

TonyP
Mar-12-2005, 5:30pm
What a great idea John. In the past I've sliced the liner on the case and taken out the padding and glued the liner back. It never occurred to me to do what you did. I guess because I thought the padding would just spring back. But the padding in all cases conform over time when I think about it. And your right, it's not depth that is the problem usually, it's interference with the padding on the sides. Gives me ideas for 2 tools to be able to do this to the cases without "whacking". Thanks again John for a good idea in simple problem solving.

Scotti Adams
Mar-12-2005, 5:34pm
..yea Tony dont forget about the grapes..

BlueMt.
Mar-12-2005, 6:54pm
J. Mark doesn't realise that playing without a Tone-Gard will turn his grapes into raisins. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

J. Mark Lane
Mar-12-2005, 8:59pm
At my age, it doesn't much matter.

ronlane3
Mar-12-2005, 10:34pm
Tony, you are right. My calton has conformed to my mandolin with my gaurd left on it. You can see the marks on it.

PS. Mark, even though I too bought a Gibson, I still choose to use this product.

(No financial interest ( as of yet ;) ) but you never know when Tony may feel the need to send me another probono)

El Rey del Mando
Mar-13-2005, 2:09pm
J.Mark,At least you have the stones to tell me you still have grapes,and don't forget what I said about the unused tonegard.Throw it down to norwalk.

John

J. Mark Lane
Mar-13-2005, 2:23pm
Well, of course it's not really unused...I just took it off for a while to admire the back of this thing. It'll be going back on soon.

But hey, Norwalk isn't far away....In fact, I get up there pretty often...usually to get margheritas at the Mexican place down in SoNo. Drinks are on me any time you want to meet up there.

Mark

El Rey del Mando
Mar-13-2005, 5:26pm
J.Mark,Let me know when you are comming,If it can be a monday night,you can sit in with the band if you have time.I wonder if I have ever ran into you.Our band was called Misty Woods for 25 years or so.We are called The Harrick Brothers now.We played all over NY. for years,as well as festivals to include the Winterhawk,concerts and you name it.You may have a good time exchanging some licks with my brother,He is a great mando player.Unlike me who plays BANJO,in the band, the instrument that everybody hates here on the cafe.My soul is with mandolin though,guys and gals.
(Hey someone has to play the dern thang)atleast you will find out that I know how to play it with a mandolin player in the same room.Thats what happens when you play,er,try to play mandolin also.

John

John

J. Mark Lane
Mar-13-2005, 5:32pm
John,

Where do you guys play? (I would not try to sit in at this point in my playing, although it is kind of you to offer. I'm not ready for that quite yet. But I would sure like to come see the band.)

Mark

El Rey del Mando
Mar-13-2005, 5:54pm
Mark we practice at my shop here in town.Any one at any stage of their playing can sit in with us.We will play all the material that you know.Where are thoes grapes we talked about earlier? You said you had them.Besides there is always a place with us for another old guy.we are old too.(unless you told a lie about you don't need the grapes any more at your age.)

John