PDA

View Full Version : Humidifiers

jlyhd28
Mar-10-2005, 11:57am
At Wintergrass this year, Danny Roberts examined my Gibson Benson as I had a concern about my bridge. During the conversation he told me I needed to invest in a good humidifier as I live in the high desert of Central Washington. So, just what is a good choice and where should it ride in my case? I am using a Travelite case and there ain't much room in there. Thanks.
john

rbmando
Mar-10-2005, 2:03pm
I like to use plastic film cans with the tops punctured. Inside, I stuff pieces of a household sponge. Squeeze just enough moisture out so the water does not drip through the holes. I recently discovered that this humidifier does not last as long in a travel lite case as in the more sealed Calton or Presto.

glauber
Mar-10-2005, 4:36pm
Humistat (http://www.humistat.com/). Almost as cheap as plastic film cans, and a smaller footprint. Nice guy too.

David M.
Mar-10-2005, 4:40pm
Those clay Herco type ones in the little plastic tub work well for me in the mando. Soak for 5 min. and I keep it in the pocket of the hard case.

jlyhd28
Mar-18-2005, 10:50pm
Thanks for your replies to my post. Y'all were helpful and I ended up getting a Humistat. It's been resting in my case for the last two days.

mort
Mar-20-2005, 10:52pm
move to Florida. You'll need a DEhumidifier

mandroid
Mar-21-2005, 2:08am
Oregon coast works for me. Ill pass on the hurricanes, thank you.

yoods
Mar-23-2005, 8:00am
If you store your mando in a "small" room (regular-sized bedroom or similar), you can do what I do which is to use a regular cool mist humidifier and a cheepo hygrometer to sample the RH in the air of your room.

I got a decent Honeywell humidifier (that has an automatic humidity sensor in it) at Walmart for around $30. In addtion I got a Holmes hygometer for less than $5. at the same place.

Through the winter if it is a "bad" day, I close the door with the humidifier running, and the meter tells me all is okay. On not so bad days, I leave the door open with the humidifier running. I have founfd this to be a "cheap" and simple fix for RH concerns for wooden instruments.