PDA

View Full Version : Thomastik strings

Christopher Howard-Williams
Mar-09-2005, 4:48am
I am currently using a set of Thomastik mediums and I really like the feel and sound. The only drawback is the volume, but I can live with that.
I am going to buy some more and am wondering if taking the heavies will increase volume and at what cost to the feel and/or sound? I can find no string gauge indications.
I would much appreciate any information from people who have used both sets and if anyone can post the actual string gauges for each set.
Thanks
Christopher

Lefty&French
Mar-09-2005, 5:53am
Thomastik stark (heavy)

DESCRIPTION
DIAMETER INCHES TENSION LBS

1st E
Tinned Silver Steel

2nd A
Chrome Steel Flat Wound

3rd D
Chrome Steel Flat Wound

4th G
Chrome Steel Flat Wound

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

philc
Mar-09-2005, 3:01pm
i tried both the mediums and the heavys. i was hoping that the heavys would give me more volume but the increase in tension just made them harder on my hands and i noticed no real increase in volume. i went back to the mediums. hope this helps.

glauber
Mar-09-2005, 3:22pm
I think TIs "like" pointier picks. Try a pointier pick and see if that helps you with the volume. The kind of picks that work well for, say the Elixyr strings, for me, sound really dead on TIs.

Mar-09-2005, 4:56pm
Interesting feedback. Thanks to all of you. I think I'll stick with the mediums and I'll see what a pointier pick does (I use the Dawg picks now).

Ted Eschliman
Mar-09-2005, 5:20pm
Ditto for me...
I use the Medium Thomastiks. I tried the Heavies for a month or so, and found no increase in volume, only more "resistance" from the extra tension.
A player who wants more "meat" out of the feel of the string might like this; I actually found I had to work harder to get the sound out of the instrument because I had to pick harder.
One thing to consider, I found an increase in volume and overall sound by using a tone-gard (http://tone-gard.com/). If you're not already doing this, it might be an enhancement.

BlueMt.
Mar-09-2005, 5:43pm
I have to agree with Ted. I have light TI's on a Bridger and was pleased with the tone and playability but unhappy with the volume. I put on a Tone-Gard and switched from a Grisman to a Ultex triangle and the increase in volume was substantial. I have med. TI's on a Weber Fern and the volume is fine. I have a Tone-Gard on it also and use the Grisman pick. I've been amazed at the differences in tone and projection you can achieve by changing strings, picks, etc. It's also alot cheaper than constantly changing instruments, but not near as much fun. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Mar-10-2005, 3:27am
Ted, I have been considering a tone guard for some time. This may tip the balance - especially as I am coming to the States soon so could have it shipped there and save myself some transport and import duty costs! Thanks for the replies.

Bren
Mar-10-2005, 12:56pm
Hmmm. Anyone else apart from Ted and philc who has used Starks?

My situation is a bit different as I'm using TI mediums on a Donmo resophonic mando and they sweeten the otherwise clangy tone very well. (Haven't tried them on a wood mando yet) But they lack the volume of the J74s I used previously, and they feel a bit ... rubbery .. under my fingers. I don't mind digging in for a bit of extra volume in a session. Would I be right in assuming that you prefer a smooth "jazzy" tone, Ted? I would like to get back a bit - but not all - of the "bite" that the J74s had but not with the clanginess.

And anyone know of a UK supplier?

generankin
Mar-10-2005, 1:10pm
I am currently using a set of Thomastik mediums and I really like the feel and sound.
[snip]
I would much appreciate any information from people who have used both sets and if anyone can post the actual string gauges for each set.

I looked up Thomastik strings, and gleaned this:

Medium: #10 - 14 - 20 - 31
Heavy: # 11 - 16 - 22 - 34

Then I looked at the Phoenix site, where they spec the string gauges for the different instruments, and found this:

Ultra &
Deluxe: #11 - 15 - 24 - 38

Neoclassical(calls for 'extra-light'
strings up to 'medium'): Thomastik medium

Bluegrass
family: #11 - 15 - 26 - 40

HTH

Gene Rankin

Lee
Mar-10-2005, 6:08pm
Those numbers you cite are actual outside diamters measured in inches; 0.011" and 0.024" for example.
Ti's are flat-wound, "normal" strings are round-wound. You're not comparing apples to apples. Just because a heavy TI G-string is "only" 0.034" diameter does not mean it equates to a 0.034" diameter round-wound G-string which is quite light.
Better to compare string tension in this case.
Ask Rolfe at Phoenix for advice on using TI's on his different models.