PDA

View Full Version : Recording Jam Sessions

ab4usa
Mar-08-2005, 1:44pm
I'm interested in purchasing a portable recorder to record jam sessions and, perhaps lessons. I have reviewed the thread on Sony Minidisc's and am leaning that way but perhaps there is a better solution?

John Flynn
Mar-08-2005, 2:43pm
I have the top of the line Sony Hi-MD portable, the MZ-NH1. I like it, but if I had it to do over again, I would get the second one in the line, not that one. Sony tried too hard to make the NH1 "fancy" and actually sacrificed some functionality, IMHO. The next model down is actually a better deal.

They both have some great features, including the ability to put about 40 CDs on a single disk, the ability to upload to a PC and convert ATRAC-3 files to WAV files and a built in "slow-down" function that you can use to slow down jam tunes without changing the pitch. Also, the recording quality with the optional Sony mike is very, very good. The unit and the microphone fit in the accessory compartment in my mando case.

Having said all that, I know a lot of people are having great luck with the Edirol system, but I have no personal experience.

layers5
Mar-10-2005, 8:03pm
I'm using a Boss Eight-track Br-864 Digital Studio. A great machine; it records onto Compact Flash cards and can be hooked up to a computer with a USB cable. I've only figured out how to use around 10% of its capabilities so far. Great for producing tracks to be burned onto CDs. I got mine at Elderly, it cost about $400.00.

Larry