PDA

View Full Version : bobelock vs. modern case vs. Rigel

rnjl
Mar-05-2005, 7:58pm
Hi, it's Neal.

I'm going to be getting an F style by summer ( I hope, but this is LST we're talking about- Luthier Standard Time, in its own zone) and I want a case that has a shoulder strap.

The Bobelock case looks good, and I have a Modern case for my A which I like.

The other alternative is to get a shaped or square case and a Small Dog for it, which is also nice. I don't like the bulkiness of the square vintage cases- or, more precisely, if I'm going to use a case that's that bulky (and expensive), I might as well go for the Modern case with its strap and cool colors and outer pocket.

Do the Bobelock cases come a little cheaper without the humidity meter as sold by Fine Cases? That seems silly to me.

The Rigel cases are square but a little smaller than some of the other square mando cases- anybody know if their G5 cases would fit another standard F?

Any strong opinions or words of advice here?

Actually, I know y'all have strong opinions, so please voice them.

Neal

Scotti Adams
Mar-05-2005, 8:31pm
Ive had Bobelocks in the past...the ones I had I bought for about $180 sans the weather station...I added that later..they are great cases...I would go with a Bobe if I was you..a very classy case...

diamond ace
Mar-05-2005, 8:36pm
A friend of mine just bought a bobelock used with the "weather station" in it for $100. It is very nice and I told him he got a great deal. He told me I could get it for what he had in it if I wanted but I don't know if I need one right now or not. With the choices you giving us I woud definatly go with the Bobe like Scotti said.

Scotti Adams
Mar-05-2005, 8:57pm
Thats a great buy Gabriel...

diamond ace
Mar-05-2005, 10:12pm
Yeah I know it's a great deal. I might take him up on it when I get my 915 Eastman, depending on what kind of case they send it to me in. You don't hapen to know who makes that "fiddle Like" case that comes with some eastmans do you Scotti? I know you've had lots of cases. It looks a lot like a bobelock, almost the exact same layout.

Fuzzyway
Mar-05-2005, 10:38pm
The Rigel G5 cases will fit other F models. I have a G5 case and a Modern case. Whichever F stays home gets the G5 case...the one going on the road gets the Modern.

Fuzzy

rnjl
Mar-06-2005, 12:40am
Hi again- thanks for the advice.

So where would one get a Bobelock without the weather station (great description) ?

Anybody have any experience ordering them online?

thanks,

Neal

Lane Pryce
Mar-06-2005, 12:52am
Finecases and Gianna Violins both offer them,however I have always purchased my bobelocks from finecases.The humidistat is pretty much a standard upgrade as well as the delux case handle with finecases.They are as far as I am concerned a real value in an instrument case.Frank at finecases will take case of you and so will Steve. No problems with my 1019L;sorta like a hardshell case with a dawg cover on it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Lp