PDA

View Full Version : felt wrapped strings

keymandoguy
Mar-05-2005, 12:24pm
I bought a mandolin at a garage sale a ccording to the serial # it was made April 1964 a Harmony A style with F holes. It had strings on it that were wrapped with blue felt down by the end loops. I had never seen any wrapped strings before. they were mediums does anyone know what they were or whos brand? are they still made ? just curious http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Stillpicking
Mar-05-2005, 12:44pm
Thomastik-Infeld strings are wrapped at the ends. Actually they are wrapped at both ends accept for the "E" string which is wrapped at the tailpiece end only. I am not sure what is used to wrap them but it is a cloth material, works great. I have been using TIs only now for the last 2 years and wouldn' put anything else on my mandolins. Expensive, $22 a set but last a good 5 to 6 months and real easy on the finger tips.

8ch(pl)
Mar-06-2005, 8:10am
Chenille wrapped strings were quite comm 6-8 years ago, they supposedely helped to muffle string rattle against the tailpiece cover. I think economics has caused their demise. Jusst my thoughts though.

Rob Anderson
Mar-06-2005, 11:20am
I used to use Martin sets that were chenilled and loved the look of them. I put a post up awhile back and no one knew where to find them anymore. You could wrap any string yourself if you've got the time.
Rob Anderson-Dunamis Designs

mandroid
Mar-10-2005, 9:16pm
Pipe cleaners will do the trick , wire is a little thicker, but you get the fuzzy softness.

sunburst
Mar-10-2005, 11:08pm
Several years ago, when I was working at a b@^!o shop, someone from Martin called to ask if there was any good reason to continue to chenille their banjo strings.
I told them the only thing I could think of that it did was help keep some tailpieces from rattling or buzzing.
I'm sure they called lots of people and asked the same thing before they decided to discontinue chenille wraped strings.

flairbzzt
Mar-13-2005, 7:26pm
Weren't old Black Diamond strings in the faded red envelopes with black printing felt wrapped?