PDA

View Full Version : short woven strap

travisburch
Feb-28-2005, 4:04pm
My dad just got me one of those nice woven leather straps from the Gibson store in Nashville when he visited me the other day. #The problem is, it seems #just a little too short. Will it stretch out at all? I can't really take it back because I'm in school in Florida right now http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dawgrobber
Feb-28-2005, 4:22pm
Yes, it will stretch - over time and with enough weight. #Not the weight of a mandolin, however.

Leather can be stretched (some) by getting it wet and then hanging it with a moderate weight (maybe 5 lbs or so depending on the thickness of the leather) on the free end. #Use saddle soap to wet it if you can get it or just warm water with a tiny bit of soap (to break water tension). #When it drys it will shorten from its wet length, but it should be a little longer. #Wetting and drying will stiffen leather so use a very, very little bit of mink oil or other shoe conditioner on it. #Use too much and it will stain your clothing. #Use this advice at your own risk.

travisburch
Feb-28-2005, 6:12pm
thanks grisman robber!