PDA

View Full Version : Need case recommendations - Hard Duty

Dawgrobber
Feb-28-2005, 3:32pm
I am a motorcycling mandolin player. #In good weather a gig-bag style soft case over the shoulder does fine around town. #However, I need a good suggestion for a case to strap onto the luggage rack of a big V-twin which will shed rain and heat. #Someone on this board must be both a mandy player and street rider.

It has to have a good water resistent seal, hard sides, available in white (to keep from heating up in the sun) and the factory has to be nice enough to put in some extra d-ring mounts for strappage (the more the better).

Thanks for the help.

Mando4Life
Feb-28-2005, 3:48pm
sounds like a Calton Case is what you are looking for...there are a few in the classifieds right now...or try Janet Davis Music (usually have some in stock)...or you can custom order one and wait...wait..wait...

WBL

berkeleymando
Feb-28-2005, 4:09pm
Or if you want to spend the big bucks you could get the Price mandolin case

http://www.telepath.com/~ghprice/pricnels.htm

It looks pretty tough. Quote from above site:

"It provides better impact protection, better shock protection and, due to the use of light colors only, better protection from radiant heat (if you forget to bring it inside from the bed of the pickup while you go to lunch) than ANY case, at ANY price."

diamond ace
Feb-28-2005, 7:04pm
I ride all year round myself! I have carried the mandolin on my bike before but not if I thought I might get rained on. I can tell you from experience that if you plan to strap to your sissy bar you will need a Tall sissy bar and one of those spider nets or the thing wil just swing around on you. Good luck and for what its worth I had a calton and they are not water proof when standing on end like it would be on your bike. It will leake a little. The new Eastman case has a seal that kind of fits into the seal on the top and it might be less likley to leak but I havent goten rained on with it so I can't say for sure.

mandroid
Feb-28-2005, 7:06pm
Anvil? Pelican series largest is too short, unfortunately, though; they're gasketed and airtight! is better than water resistant.
A padded #case cover to further absorb vibrations,would help too.
[historical note: I transported my guitar across town and then found the felt cradle had made the finish on the back of the neck go away, and it wasnt even a harley, #just a relatively low vibration Honda.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif #, #so I took off the rest of the necks lacquer finish...
For a backpack case cover that is waterproof, look at #the cascade designs propack , seattle sports,or the Ortlieb line of riverbags with a rolltop closure and shoulder straps
immersion waterproof. mandolin case as PFD .