PDA

View Full Version : mandolin slicer

berkeleymando
Feb-27-2005, 4:27am
This was quite a laugh to come across on ebay, a product called a "mandolin slicer". Ha ha. Item no 4358917495
No financial interest, it is just a very laughable name for a vegetable slicer.

berkeleymando
Feb-27-2005, 4:29am
Here's the pic

John Flynn
Feb-27-2005, 9:32am
This was quite a laugh to come across on ebay, a product called a "mandolin slicer".
Actually, a food preparation "mandoline," as it is more commonly spelled, is a well-accepted cooking accessory, especially in French cooking. The one you picture is an inexpensive one, but the good ones can run into hundreds of dollars. I read somewhere that the origin of the name is that the motion one uses to operate a mandoline was similar to the motion of strumming a mandolin. There have been many pix of mandolines posted on the Cafe' over the past few years.

jim simpson
Feb-27-2005, 11:44am
I think I read that the mandoline slicers from the 20's are the most desirable. The ones signed by Pierre Loar being the most valuable!

John Flynn
Feb-27-2005, 2:38pm
The ones signed by Pierre Loar being the most valuable!
Yeah, they not only slice, but they chop too!

flairbzzt
Feb-27-2005, 7:17pm
I once saw a Chinese recipe called "Duck as a Mandolin" prepared on a cooking show. I think it was on Epiphone Live! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

darthstar
Mar-01-2005, 1:11pm
I prefer a mandolin chop, but I'm weird that way.

Amandalyn
Mar-06-2005, 8:11am
I was cutting some vegetables on a Mandoline, and sliced the tip off my little finger. NOT so good for my Mandolin playing. ( kinda ruined the salad too).

mmukav
Mar-06-2005, 11:01am
Amandalyn---now I've heard of 'Finger Sandwiches', but never 'Finger Salad'!

Yea, the mandoline is all the rage now on the cooking shows, I'm gonna pick one up for my wife.

I figure, 'I got you a mandoline, you could get me a mandolin'!

Scotti Adams
Mar-06-2005, 11:13am
..I think a mandolin slicer is what the Gibson factory turns to when a mando isnt just right....they slice it right into and throw it in the scrap pile.

Amandalyn
Mar-07-2005, 5:55pm
Hey mmukav,
Be careful, those things are dangerous!!!