PDA

View Full Version : I just got my new mando(s) strap

bdisp
Feb-24-2005, 5:08pm
Loren Bailey advertises his straps in the classifieds. I bought 2 made of the parachute cord....or is it chord?? Folks, these are NICE. SUPER guy, SUPER deal, SUPER quick gettin' em to me. The elegant simplicity and quality craftsmanship is top notch. Loren tells me another customer says the cord/chord doesn't "creak" when recording.

Thanks Loren............

mab4121
Feb-24-2005, 6:11pm
I just received one of Loren's straps a couple days ago, and I couldn't agree more. Very very nice strap, and a really nice guy to deal with.

Mark

darthstar
Feb-24-2005, 6:56pm
Okay, I love the leather-shoelace strap that fatt-dad put on my mando...makes me feel like the dirt-bag I strive to be...but now I hear about parachute-cord/chord straps too? I suppose there are other mando-accessories one must have as well? Dear god, this thing will wind up costing me more than my ex--at least the mandolin lets me touch it though http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Do you have a link to the straps? Holy ####! I just realised I've worked more than eight hours...I'm giving the company time that can be better spent practicing...see y'all tomorrow!

bdisp
Feb-25-2005, 7:02am
d-star.... check the classifieds for handmade mando straps.

As for accessorizing, ya gotta have a cool strap, a GOOD case, a hygrometer in your case (check out humistat.com), and some sort of device to add humidity when the above mentioned hygrometer says "add humidity please".

When you get all this and A.A.S. attacks, you can do as I did.......the ultimate accessory. Get personalized pics. This way when your adoring wife, er, I mean fans are grabbing for something "you", all you have to do is throw a handful of darthstar pics. Works for me everytime.... ok twice...... ok one time. OK, I've never done it. I did have a dream about doing it twice.....

testore
Feb-25-2005, 1:14pm
Just got mine too,love it. Great price too.

darthstar
Feb-25-2005, 2:13pm
d-star.... check the classifieds for handmade mando straps.

As for accessorizing, ya gotta have a cool strap, a GOOD case, a hygrometer in your case (check out humistat.com), and some sort of device to add humidity when the above mentioned hygrometer says "add humidity please".

When you get all this and A.A.S. attacks, you can do as I did.......the ultimate accessory. Get personalized pics. This way when your adoring wife, er, I mean fans are grabbing for something "you", all you have to do is throw a handful of darthstar pics. Works for me everytime.... ok twice...... ok one time. OK, I've never done it. I did have a dream about doing it twice.....
Okie-dokie...so I need to protect my baby with a hygrometer and a humistat too...thanks...I didn't know that. I live in San Francisco, so it's not too hot here, and usually humid enough, but my place can run a little hot at times. They're only a couple bucks, so I'll pick them up this weekend and slip them into the case.

Custom picks? Hm. That would be fun, but I'll wait until I get a couple pairs of panties thrown at me (and not just because I forgot to throw them in the wash) first.

Loren Bailey
Feb-25-2005, 6:52pm
Fellas,

Thanks for the kind words. I am having a lot of fun talking to fellow mandolinists and making them something tailored to their needs.

I do have to say, after working with quite a bit of leather, that this para cord is the real deal. I think it has a lot of advantages over leather. I have no problems with leather, I've eaten a few cows in my day, just think the para cord is pretty darn good. And it looks cool too.

Loren

bjc
Feb-25-2005, 8:08pm
Loren,
So can you make them to specs? I like my mando high...think 1964 Beatles high...and the straps I've used have to be "customized" via knife...and I'm short...a shoe string might be too long...tee hee Thanks

Lane Pryce
Feb-25-2005, 8:22pm
Hey BJ C!! I'll sell ya 2 shoe laces for $15.00 and that includes shipping!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Lp

Loren Bailey
Feb-25-2005, 8:29pm
Brian,

Send me your specs, I'll whip ya something up.

Loren
chief_bailey@hotmail.com

Loren Bailey
Feb-25-2005, 8:37pm
Lane,

You trying to undercut me?!?!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

bjc
Feb-25-2005, 8:46pm
hey man TWO shoe laces for ONLY $15...dag gone...what a bargin I'll take 12...tee hee Loren, I'll contact you through your ad...I should've read it first...

Lane Pryce
Feb-25-2005, 8:55pm
I have one of Loren's straps too.Very comfy and artistically crafted.I can'nt wait to see one in roo!! Lp http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Loren Bailey
Feb-25-2005, 9:04pm
Me too, not pleased with the roo I recieved today. My quest continues.

LB

Ashville Picker
Mar-01-2005, 7:16am
I have been looking for the perfect strap for a couple years. It needs to stay on my shoulder and look really cool. This thread motivated me to order a "Bailey Strap".

Loren is by far the very best seller I have ever bought from. He or she crafted and mailed the strap to me within a couple hours of my order. The price is right and the strap is really cool, but I have a problem. I wear the strap over my right shoulder, not around my neck. The nylon slides off my right shoulder and does not work for me. The hunt continues, but to buy from Loren is to love him or her. Larry http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Keith Miller
Mar-01-2005, 7:38am
Larry,try Randy Hogan (ad in the classified) spring special for $15 in leather, that would not slip, another top guy by the way.
Keith

bdisp
Mar-01-2005, 8:13am
Loren (he) makes leather as well......

LKN2MYIS
Mar-01-2005, 8:46am
Hmmm!

LOREN -

Is it possible for you to put some type of padded shoulder strap (like on a brief case) that could slide over the cord to prevent slippage and offer comfort?

Ashville Picker
Mar-01-2005, 10:16am
Thanks for the tips. I may not play very well, but I try to look good. Larry

Ashville Picker
Mar-01-2005, 10:33am
As I listen to my Three Pickers CD I wonder if anyone knows what type strap Ricky uses. Maybe if I had that type strap I would play like him. Anyone have any idea? Thanks again, Larry

Loren Bailey
Mar-01-2005, 4:03pm
First incident of "slipage" I've had. Not personally encoutered that myself. Larry, I will investigate what can be done to alleviate your situation and get back to you. In general I've found the bit of "stretch" that the strap offers prevented slipage, but everyone is built a bit different. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Loren

LKN2MYIS
Mar-01-2005, 4:06pm
Yes, please keep me posted. I'm interested in this, and with some kind of padded piece (see my prior post here), it should be the perfect strap!

GnomeGrown
Mar-01-2005, 4:16pm
I have actually had the thought to make padded shoulder pieces that would velcro around a strap....I might try and work out a prototype soon, but here is what I am thinking....

rectangular piece, roughly 12 inches long, and maybe 5 or 6 inches across...foam padding with sturdy backing material (because the strap will constantly rub it), and a stip of velcro, which would make the "around" measurement adjustable to fit both narrow and wide straps.....

shouldn't take too long to whip together, but diving in is the only way to know how it would turn out.....

way easy compared to a pair of pants:D

LKN2MYIS
Mar-01-2005, 4:19pm
Makes a lot of sense as long as there is no material (glue, vinyl, etc.) that would harm the mando finish.

Lots of us leave the straps on in the cases, and it's real important that everything is mando and mando finish frienldy.

GnomeGrown
Mar-01-2005, 4:27pm
everything I make is as "friendly" as possible....most of my material is recycled, and no glue, dye, vinyl (UGHH) or what have you is used....

for the record, I mostly work in corduroy, and that would probably be the outer layer.
Soft, comfy, stylish, and SAFE!!!

its worth noting that the extra bulk of a shoulder pad might make shutting a case while attached difficult.....I would probably stash mine in the headstock area of my travelite case....hew now....x-tra padding for the headstock, BONUS!

LKN2MYIS
Mar-01-2005, 4:30pm
Well, I'd be interested.

Always keep my strap attached, even in the case.

Loren Bailey
Mar-06-2005, 8:41pm
All,

Working on a web page. It is a work in progress. Check it out when you have the time.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-TheBailey

Loren

P.S. I am a "HE" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Billiam
Mar-06-2005, 9:28pm
Loren,

Love the D-hole Gallatin on your site.

Of course, I have a D-hole Hyalite with the same finish!

Loren Bailey
Mar-06-2005, 9:42pm
I am pretty fond of it myself. My finish tends to mark up with the slightest touch but great sound. Sounds even better now, Darryl Wolfe just got done "tweaking" the set up a bit. Next thing is going to be one of Darryl's pick guards. Think I'll probably end up with one of his traditional bridge too.

Loren

bjc
Mar-20-2005, 4:46pm
Been using my "Bailey" for a while, and I must say it solved my problem on my F-style perfectly...I got it quick and Loren is a real nice fellow to work with

Loren Bailey
Mar-20-2005, 5:20pm
Brian,

Glad to hear it's still working out for ya.

Loren