PDA

View Full Version : Another String Issue

GBG
Feb-24-2005, 9:20am
I apologize in advance for one more string question. I have an F5 that is about 3 years old and is opening up and getting louder(that's the good news), but it seems to be getting brighter in tone as well(too bright). I've always used J74's on it. Without losing a lot of volume, what strings would darken up the tone? I've thought about JS74's and GHS silk and steel or silk and bronze?

Thanks for reading this.

Lee
Feb-24-2005, 1:44pm
Monels, or Thomastik.
Or you might try alternate bridge materials, like bone.

Tom C
Feb-24-2005, 2:06pm
Old J74's http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Doug Edwards
Feb-24-2005, 2:19pm
I too like a dark woody tone.

The GHS S&B will give you a more woody subdued tone the GHS S&S will have a little more drier/woodier sound. Both to me seem darker sounding. Neither one will be as loud as the J74's. FT74's do not seem as bright as the J74's. I currently waiting for my FS74's to get here so I can give them a run. I have not tried Monels but the TI's are also more subdued in their tone, they just don't sound bluegrassy enough for me. They feel and play great though, I just wish the made a little heavier set.

Of course everthing is subjective and will react somewhat differently on different instruments (actual milage & preformance will vary).

Milan Christi
Feb-24-2005, 2:30pm
I'm sold on the Thomastiks. My Weber Yellowstone sounds very dark and moody - but not bluegrassy. My old Gibson A sounds perfect with them. The Sam Bush signature line sounded darker, too, but more resonant - more bluegrassy.

Just my two cents. I'm by no means an expert but I have tried a lot of strings. I put the TI Starks on my Weber around Dec 15th. I play it every day - they sound the same as they did on day-one. Unreal quality - gotta love it.
Milan

GBG
Feb-24-2005, 3:25pm
The J74's start sounding a little darker when they've been on about a month, but shortly after that they go dead. I don't think the TI's will have enough volume. I've tried Monels before but didn't keep them on long enough to really judge them. I probably need to give them (or the JS74's) another try. Can someone evaluate/compare the GHS S&S to the S&B strings?

El Rey del Mando
Feb-24-2005, 4:06pm
What is your nut made out of ? If it is pearl,you can try bone,If your bridge is rosewood you can try ebony.Some times a given instrument will never sound DARK no matter what you do.What kind of mando are you playing ? The more info you post the more help you can get.These guys are good on this site.I haven't gone away empty handed yet.

John

GBG
Feb-24-2005, 4:18pm
I play a Krishot F with a bone nut (I think) and an ebony bridge, and I agree that this mandolin will probably never have a very dark tone. I've heard other mandolins that sounded too dark to me. As a matter of fact one of the darkest was a Krishot played by Eduard Kristufek himself. I don't expect a miracle, just some improvement.

El Rey del Mando
Feb-24-2005, 5:19pm
If the nut is bone already,you can try rosewood bridge but that normaly has a bit warmer sound,not so much darker to my ear.Experement!Maybe this is your excuse for a case of MAS.My idea of a dark sounding mandolin would be Ronnie McCourys Gil.To me, It's just the night.:o)

John

Doug Edwards
Feb-24-2005, 5:44pm
The biggest drawback to GHS S&S is they do not last as long as you would want. Then again, individual players, conditions, amount of play will determine how long they actually last as with any set of strings. I have a set of S&S on right now. After two weeks I looking at changing them. They're still OK, but I can tell they are losing their punch. I've used the S&S and S&B on my last mando and now my new one. I really like their deeper dry woody tone but would like them to be just a little louder and last longer. My new mando is much louder with them than my past one so it's not hurt that bad. You might want to try a set of each to determine a preference. The S&B will last longer than the S&S but are a little harder to find in my area.

Feb-24-2005, 5:54pm
For what you want i would say the JS74's. But i have never had a problem with a bright sound like you have with your 74's. I have a goog old time wood chop with my 74's. Its probably just the different instruments. Or my ears might be going out on me again.

GBG
Feb-25-2005, 9:16am
I think I will try the JS74's first, then maybe the silks. Brightness/darkness is in the ears of the beholder to some extent. I have been hearing Compton and Long playing Gils, and I think that got me concerned about the brightness issue. Thanks for all the advice.

Scotti Adams
Feb-25-2005, 9:37am
Monels for the modal sound....no doubt about it

David M.
Feb-25-2005, 9:45am
I just put on S&S and like what they did for my Yellowstone. I had J75's on and lost some volume, but I like the tone more. I did, however, put a pair of .0115" E strings like the J75's use to give the E punch. But the S&S have a .016" A string, so it sounds really good. The S&S finger well, too.

Next I'll try the Monels, but keep a .016" A string on.

Steve Perry
Feb-25-2005, 9:51am
FWIW... I've got a Michael Kelly upgraded with an Allen tailpiece and Sullivan Loar ebony bridge. This mando is very bright, especially on the a and e strings, with J74's. I put a set of the Sam Bush Monels on and noticed very little difference in the brightness. My guess is it's probably just the way your mandolin is going to sound and strings aren't going to make much difference.

Steve "no, not that one" Perry

Scotti Adams
Feb-25-2005, 9:56am
..one of the very reasons I switched to Monels "Bushs" back in '85 was I didnt like the harshness and brightness of bronze strings...I used GHS and D'Adarrio up to that point

GTison
Feb-25-2005, 10:23am
steel strings after they break in sound darker on most mandolins. Not to side track the thread but I've gotten better results trying to get a dark sound with playing with the round edge of a standard pick or something like a golden gate pick.

David M.
Feb-26-2005, 2:24pm
Anybody able to compare the Monels (are these also Bush strings?) to the Silk&Steels? I'll def. try the Monels, but just installed some new S&S's, so I'll wait till they die.

Those Thomastkiks just aren't strong enough in tone. Cool sound, but not powerful. But that's my experience on my mandos.

I love a message board like this one where I actually learn stuff from the members. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif