PDA

View Full Version : Music Software

Ashville Picker
Feb-23-2005, 4:25pm
In the interest of improving my ability to learn favorite songs by ear, my son's instructor recommended I check out the Amazing Slowdowner software at http://www.ronimusic.com/.
This software allows one to slow down songs on file or CD and even change pitch if one desires. I am really liking the concept, but before I spend the $45 thought I would bounce this off the Cafe to see if it was the best product out there. Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Larry

BlueMt.
Feb-23-2005, 4:46pm
Larry, Why don't you download the free trial version and give it a spin? I've used it and like it, but you might feel otherwise.

mpeknox
Feb-23-2005, 5:35pm
Transcribe! (http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html) is a good program for about the same price. Can't compare it to the slowdowner as I have never used it.

RichL
Feb-23-2005, 11:29pm
Howdy,

Try Audacity. It isn't a dedicated slow-down program but a sound file editor. It can do slow-down/maintain pitch and it's free. Check it out.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
Rich

ShaneJ
Feb-23-2005, 11:34pm
Windows Media Player will do it too, and you probably already have that. Slow Speed CD Transcriber is another.

250sc
Feb-24-2005, 7:57am
I've used the slowdowner for a couple of years and have no complaints.

Ashville Picker
Feb-24-2005, 11:23am
Wow. Tons of good input. I downloaded the trial slowdowner and it is a hoot. But, the other recommendations, especially windows media player, have my interest. Looks like I have something to do tonight. Thanks, Larry

evanreilly
Feb-24-2005, 11:52am
I used the demo of ASD for a bit of time; I liked it so much that I bought the license.
I think it is a great. compact program. Variable speed and pitch.
I got the mandolin kickoff to 'Roanoke' pretty good also...

Evan in Asheville...

John Flynn
Feb-24-2005, 12:37pm
I have used "Transckriber" by Reed Kottler Music for a couple of years. I have nothing to compare it to, but I like it. It does speed changes and pitch changes and it can replay "soundbites" of a tune, bracketed down to tenth of a second, over and over. I run it on a PC, but I get the impression it is really designed for the Mac, and therefore works even better and has more functionality on that platform.

LSJ
Feb-25-2005, 4:30pm
Ashville Picker,

I've used the slowdowner from Roni for maybe 3 years now. #I #have had great results with the program. #I do feel like its cheating in one sense, but it does make some runs easier to catch. #But I'll tell you this; and you may already know it. Until you learn the song mentally, it doesn't flow very well with any slowing aid. #I've read many threads that some people can listen to songs and then pick them out; where others know lots of theory and can read the music. #I'm one of those that can do both. #I however prefer listening and playing. #I am better off to just sit and listen, get the melody in my head, and grab the mandolin. #Is it identical immediately? #Absolutely not; but the ground work is there. Do all my songs mirror the original artist, I'm sorry to say that they do not, but maybe they will one day.

Sorry for getting off track. #It is very helpful!!!

diamond ace
Feb-25-2005, 6:18pm
I bought the Amazing Slowdowner a couple of days ago and I think is't great! works like a charm and it will slow the music way down if you want it too. It will work on CD's and mp3 files you may have on your computer and it has an EQ for adjusting to hear the instrument your studding best. I have done the same thing with programs like Cool Edit Pro and windows media but this is easier and the sound quality is much better.

s1m0n
Feb-25-2005, 6:38pm
I use the slowdowner as well. I bought a licence, but as I recall the free version limits access to all but the first two tracks on any CD.

You can work around the limitation by burning your own CDs, however, containing whatever songs you wanna learn.

I believe there's also a winamp plugin which works almost as well.

250sc
Feb-26-2005, 9:22am
LSJ,

I agree about getting the material in your head being important to learning a new piece of music.

I often use the slowdowner in loop mode to play the song, at a reasonable speed, over and over again while I clean the house. After hearing it (not concentrated listening) for a couple of hours it is a lot easier to get the parts down.

David M.
Feb-26-2005, 11:38am
Transkriber. It works well.

angrymandolinist
Feb-26-2005, 1:42pm
I second RichL's Audacity suggestion. It'll do a lot more for free than the program you've described will do for $45. But, if you're enjoying it, by all means get it.

mandoisland
Feb-26-2005, 2:22pm
currently I am usuing a cheap and old version of goldwave. With this you can load a file, select a part of it with your mouse and play it once or repeatedly. You can also change the speed to any speed you want, slower or faster. Usually you will set the speed to 50% so get the sound one octave lower. I used this for many transcriptions I made, you can work very quick with this. Before I used goldwave I used a free version of cooledit for the same pupose. I think there are many free programs that can do this.