PDA

View Full Version : condenser mic battery life

Old Red
Feb-20-2005, 9:32am
I just began using a Shure PG81, Shure's budget line condenser mic. It works very well with my mando and dobro, and I'd like to keep using it. I've used an SM-57 and other similar mics before so I have no experience with a condenser. Anyone have any idea on how often I'll have to replace the AA battery if I use alkalines? Thanks.

Pete Martin
Feb-20-2005, 2:56pm
Like anything else, if you turn the battery off after use, you should get a few hours out of each battery. #Keep some spares. #Often you'll get to a gig and say "Oh $h!t. #I forgot to turn off the mic, have a dead battery and don't have a spare."

(Just my opinion) A better thing is use a condenser mic that needs phantom power and have a board that supplies it, or bring a phantom supply with you.

Old Red
Feb-20-2005, 6:32pm
Thanks Pete, for those sage words of advice. #I went with the PG81 partly because of its relatively low price and partly because I can't always be sure that phantom power will be available on the boards I play through. #I wanted the battery option. #Unfortunately, this model didn't offer both. #I'll make sure I carry lots of AAs with me.

Thanks again for the info.

Andy

MartinD_GibsonA
Feb-20-2005, 10:20pm
I can't always be sure that phantom power will be available on the boards I play through. #I wanted the battery option. #Unfortunately, this model didn't offer both.

Old Red -- Do you mean that the PG81 doesn't offer the option for both phantom power *and* a battery? #If so, that's pretty curious since both Shure's Web site (http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/pg81.asp) and spec sheet (http://www.shure.com/pdf/specsheets/spec_wiredmics/pg81.pdf) say it does. #The spec sheet also says you can get up to 10,000 hours out of a battery.

Old Red
Feb-21-2005, 9:34pm
Thanks for the info. I didn't check the website (obviously). I do not remember that the catalog I ordered from mentioned the optional phantom power supply. I don't think it's mentioned in the (rather skimpy) manual either. As for the battery life of 10,000 hours, I think I'll rely on Pete's more plausible estimate and let myself be pleasantly surprised.

Andy

Pete Martin
Feb-22-2005, 12:43pm
Usually when a condenser mic has a battery, it will also run on phantom power. I often take an AKG C1000 to gigs with unknown PAs (lots of people don't know if their PA has phantom) as it will run from either. I'll use my Shure KSM137 if there is phantom, the C1000 if not.