Mandolin Cafe Front Page Archive
If you missed something from the Mandolin Cafe front page you'll find it here. Since some of the information we link to is external please understand that as these links go bad they will be removed.
2017 Front Page Highlights
- Pre-order: Bobby Osborne recording Original.
- New from Alan Epstein: Sunset On Meriden Hill.
- Learn note-for-note some of David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays videos using SoundSlice and Mandolins Heal The World. Explained by video.
- The Cafe's official announcement about the blockbuster Marshall (Michigan) Mando Summit.
- Joe Brent is our guest for Mandolin Mondays #63.
- Looking for a little bit of free mandolin listening material? Here's a lot, instead.
- More creative video genius from Aaron Weinstein: The Myth of a Standing Ovation.
- At Peghead Nation: Wednesday's Facebook Live with Marla Fibish from earlier today is archived now.
- Gibson announces confirmed exclusive rights to trademarked body and headstock designs of three iconic guitar models. #letshiremorelawyers
- Marshall Mando Summit: Mike Marshall, Caterina Lichtenberg, Sarah Jarosz, Don Stiernberg, Tim O'Brien. Aug. 17-20, Marshall, Mich. Discussed.
- The Mandolin Cafe is offering a scholarship to attend the next Global Mandolin Retreat with Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg in California, July 21-23.
- Reminder: first month free or $20 off an annual subscription for John Reischman's new Peghead Nation School.
- Mandolin Cafe and Mandolins Heal The World $50 discount on a yearly membership. Use Promo CAFE17.
- A new all-star project out soon, Casey Campbell - Mandolin Duets: Volume One.
- Monroe Mandolin Camp is proud to announce their inaugural Wo-MON Scholarship.
- Two new pinky strengthening video tutorials from Don Julin and Mandolins Heal The World.
- Mandolin Mondays welcomes young mandolin talent Giri Peters!
- Happy birthdays (March 10) to Jethro Burns and Norman Blake!
- Published a year ago today, still a great read: The Rise of Marla Fibish.
- A brilliant talent interviewed: Rising Brazilian Mandolinist Elisa Meyer.
- Got an opinion on a potential new tenor guitar method book? Weigh in.
- Gorgeous new Celtic build by NK Forster on our forum. Great photos.
- Nicely done: John Reischman and Scott Nygaard on "Little Liza Jane" in the Peghead Nation Studios.
- A new EP of original octave mandolin from Italy's Fabio Paxia, The Coffee I've Never Had.
- The latest newsletter from the Acoustic Music Company of England. Lots of mandolin pix!
- Recent Cafe interviewee Ethan Setiawan is our guest for Mandolin Mondays #61 with Spain.
- Speaking of choro, meet the remarkable, totally unknown João Macambira. You're in for a treat. We're buying the pinga.
- Blast from the past: who remembers this discussion from ten years ago ?
- Great pictures from this forum member's Nyberg Mandola in process.
- Cool video: Nate Lee playing a Gilchrist and wearing a Cafe ball cap.
- Just Chris Thile hanging out in a ball pit with Stephen Colbert.
- Just out, can't wait to hear it: Casey Campbell: Mandolin Duets: Volume One.
- Published one year ago today: Rarities and Lutherie Tango at Gryphon Stringed Instruments.
- In light of her Grammy wins, you might enjoy our 2015 Looking Forward with Sarah Jarosz.
- Watch this 1896 aluminum bowlback discussion unfold with some surprises. Interesting!
- Kind of forum post we love: Gibson Alrite tribute build by Andy Poe, from a happy customer.
- New mandolin & guitars eye candy from our recent visit to Retrofret Vintage Guitars.
- New in the educational arena: the Murphy Method Digital Download site.
- John Reischman's Peghead Nation Courses: first month free or $20 off annual subscription. More | John's Peghead Nation page
- From this date 2010: our interview with the curator of Bill Monroe's mandolin.
- Jarrod Walker is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #60.
- 2017 California Coast Music Camp dates, staff announced.
- Specs for the new Eastman MDO305 Octave we reported on from NAMM. Discussed.
- Last video in Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- "The Girl I Left Behind," a new free lesson from Don Julin and Mandolins Heal the World.
- New owner: Mandolin Brothers has been sold in name only, no retail store to follow.
- Sobering: Thousands of new (music) releases do not achieve a single sale.
- Information on the The Travelin' McCourys "The Grateful Ball video/tour.
- The Gibson Brothers have announced the release of In The Ground with two-time IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Jesse Brock on board. More...
- New Monroe collection a real bombshell for fans: Bill Monroe - Castle Studio 1950/1951.
- With a mind boggling number of online lesson providers and choices, maybe all you need is one good lesson and one very good instructor.
- For The Right Mandolin, This Kansas City Musician Needed One Man - And Patience.
- Matt Witler is our special video guest for Mandolin Mondays #59. Crazy great crosspicking!
- Bach Trios coming April 7 from Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile. Discussed on our forum.
- Mandolin Cafe and Mandolins Heal The World partner to offer $50 discount on year membership. Use Promo CAFE17 » More... | Subscribe
- Strange things found on this site: tablature to Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge," submitted by "Nigel."
- Elderly tells us their order of new Eastman octaves has been increased from 8 (already sold) to 12.
- Got Instagram? We're jumping back in after an absence of a few years and 1,100+ followers.
- 4th Annual Metamora Mandolin Gathering set for March 25 in Metamora, Ind.
- Aw shucks... a nice little write-up up about the Cafe on the California Bluegrass Association site.
- Sarah Jarosz takes two Grammys. Congrats, Sarah, and all of the folk/bluegrass nominees!
- Video #6 of 7: Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- A nice set of Irish reels from Marla Fibish and Dale Russ in the Peghead Nation studio.
- Register now for the Monroe Mandolin Camp, Sept. 13-17. Includes banjo and fiddle tracks.
- Walker Creek Music Camp - April 7-10 with Reischman, Gilchrist, Bruce, Tuttle and Bragger.
- Some familiar names in this Paste article 7 Women Smashing the Bluegrass Glass Ceiling.
- Matt Flinner is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #58.
- Long, long ago in a land far, far away: the Mandocrucian Digest. Stuff we find on this site.
- The latest newsletter from the Acoustic Music Company.
- Cafe exclusive: The New Normal? Crowdfunding Bobby Osborne.
- A new web site for Don Stiernberg.
- #5 of 7 in Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- This date 2012: our Chris Thile Interview where we ID the original owner of his Loar.
- Entertaining: Making a Clark F5.
- We don't often lust over a guitar, but make exception for this Collings OM1V Western Shaded Custom.
- Celebrating the events of 10 years ago today, this fascinating history most have never heard: The 2006-2007 LoarFest audio tapes.
- Mike Compton and Scott Nygaard rip a great version of "Bluegrass Special."
- Jazz mandolinist Jason Bailey is David Benedict's special guest for Mandolin Mondays #57!
- A video of the new Gold Tone Mandocello that was on display at the recent NAMM Show in Anaheim.
- Information on Bradley Laird's new venture: Grass Talk Radio.
- New at Mandolins Heal The World: Getting To Know The Notes with Don Julin.
- Collings offers the guys and gals a really nice t-shirt. Those are really cool!
- Nicely done: Alex Heflin's The Flintstones Meet Coltrane.
- John Reischman in teaming up with Peghead Nation to teach mandolin courses. Visit the announcement on their web site.
- #4 of 7: Aaron Weinstein's Etude Thursdays based on Mandolin Chord Melody System.
- New music from the Rain City Ramblers on the Cafe MP3 page. Get this cut and 575 other tracks, free.
- Got a question for the Monroe Mandolin Camp staff? They just might answer your inquiry here.
- New music from Tim May and Steve Smith: Murder of Crows.
- Now that's pretty cool: the new Collings ball cap they're offering for sale.
- Must read: Walter Carter's The Mandolin in America. Discussed.
- Coming Sunday: The New Normal? Crowdfunding Bobby Osborne, an interview with Alison Brown and Bobby Osborne.
- The latest newsletter from The Acoustic Music Company. Lots of great eye candy.
- Ending soon: taken advantage of the huge Acoustic Disc Winter sale? 25% off everything.
- It's Mandolin Mondays #56 with David Benedict's special guest Adam Tanner!
- Every once in awhile you just wish it true: the last page on the Internet.
- New music by Jozef Scheiner on the Mandolin Cafe MP2 page Get this and 573 other free downloadable mandolin MP3s.
- June 1-4, Carlo Aonzo's annual Mandolin Workshop will be held in Milwaukee. Details.
- A bit of reporting and photos from our 2017 NAMM Show experience in Anaheim, Calif.
- New music by Alan Epstein on the Mandolin Cafe MP2 page.
- Pictures of the new Eastman octave mandolin we saw at the NAMM Show in Anaheim. Very nice. So new they just received the day before the show.
- Published this date 2008 and still a great read: Bill Graham's Flinner's Made-Fresh-Daily.
- Double-stops explained logically by David Benedict on Mandolins Heal The World.
- Insightful! Video #3 of 7 from Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- Meet The Shisha Group. Help crowdfund a Cafe regular's new album with a new band.
- Meet legendary builder Andy Manson and a one-of-a-kind mandolin. We got to at this weekend's NAMM Show.
- Carlo Aonzo's 17th annual U.S. Mandolin Workshop, held in Milwaukee this year, June 1-4. See: workshop web site.
- Digging the new Pono line just hiting retail. Here's their Terz Octave Mandolin at Fiddler's Green.
- Mandolin Mondays #55: David Benedict tackles Super Mario Mandolin Medley. #mandolinmondays
- Well written, comprehensive review of the new Northfield F-5.
- An important anniversary: Gibson mandolin adjustable bridge patented this date 1921.
- David Mansfield has announced the release of his recording Solo Mandolin - David Mansfield Performs Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead.
- A really nice solo acoustic mandolin EP just out. Andrew Buckner - Coffee and a Good Book.
- Some nice jazz mandolin posted in our blog area a few days ago.
- Those of using Yahoo as your email provider on our Forum need to read this.
- Quote from Dennis at The Mandolin Store: "Totally blown away by the new Pono Octave mandolin line. Most exciting new product in a long time!"
- Video Number 2 of Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays is now available. Get the book.
- Got Mandolin Cafe On Demand? Instantly downloadable lessons from the very best.
- New music from David Mansfield on Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Now available! The newest book by Walter Carter: The Mandolin in America. » Purchase from author
- Nate Lee is our special guest for the latest edition of Mandolin Mondays. Brilliant tune, terrific tone.
- Mike Compton featured in an audio interview for LearnChair Radio.
- A new publication on amazon we don't have enough information on for a news release but worth sharing: "50 Fiddle Tunes for Mandolin."
- New from Joe K. Walsh at Peghead Nation: David Grisman's composition "Telluride" just added.
- Tastes great, less filling: To Do or Not To Do, that is the question.
- Happy birthday to Dan Beimborn, system administrator for the Mandolin Cafe.
- The Dawg makes an appearance in Guitar Player's special acoustic section they call Frets.
- New from Homespun: Mandolin Licks-Ercises - Licks, Tunes and Exercises for Beginning and Intermediate Players. Order: Mandolin Cafe On Demand | Elderly
- Well worth the read: Mandolins on the island at the edge of the world.
- Almost a national holiday of sorts for mandolinists: Lloyd Loar was born this date 1886 in Cropsey, Illinois.
- New in print: Christmas Carols for Crosspicking Mandola or Tenor Banjo.
- We welcome the first of Aaron Weinstein's Etude Thursday videos. Buckle up, it's a good ride.
- Don Julin has added 7 new Chris Henry videos on Monroe style at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Help for balding men and those with cold heads: Mandolin Cafe ball caps. Not sold in stores.
- Suppose we could explain this to you but if you don't know, it's as simple as the fact you never had kids.
- Mandolin Mondays continues in 2017 with *great* guests, like Joe K. Walsh! #mandolinmondays
- Great forum post from one of our members: Inside the Ellis and Pava Workshop.
- We've added our financial support to David Benedict and Mile Twelve Kickstarter.
- The Stradolin. Praised by David Grisman, Stan Jay and Lowell Levinger in our feature Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000. Not everyone agrees.
- A great read from this date 2015: our Frank Solivan feature interview.
- Favorite: Charlie Louvin's incredible book Satan Is Real was published this date 2012. More...
- New music from our favorite music writer Bill Graham on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Nice eye candy and information in the latest newsletter from The Acoustic Music Company.
- Many interesting comments are starting to roll in for this question in our forum: Is there such a thing as a "Mandolin Culture?"
- Joe K. Walsh demos his new Nugget mandolin for Peghead Nation.
- New music from the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble, their first recording has just released: Global Mandolization. Hear a track on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Zero mandolin content, but all about music and people. Watch, and you'll understand why you should see the documentary Alive Inside.
- As we do each year about this time: The Mandolin Cafe's Year In Review.
- Interesting: seeking info on a very early family mandolin.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays to ride again in 2017 with special guests. Thanks, David! He takes us out of 2016 with a brilliant version of "Auld Lang Syne."
- From December 28, 2010, our Avi Avital interview by Joe Brent. Still a great read!
- Loaded, ready for students: over 160 mandolin camps and workshops.