Morgan Music •
Ellis Mandolins •
Elderly Instruments •
The Mandolin Store •
The Music Emporium • Eastman • The Acoustic Music Company • Mandolin World Headquarters • JustStrings.com • Weber
Pretty Good For A Girl: Women In Bluegrass - The first book devoted entirely to women in bluegrass, Pretty Good for a Girl documents the lives of more than seventy women whose vibrant contributions to the development of bluegrass have been, for the most part, overlooked.
Accessibly written and organized by decade, the book begins with Sally Ann Forrester, who played accordion and sang with Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys from 1943 to 1946, and continues into the present with artists such as Alison Krauss, Rhonda Vincent, and the Dixie Chicks. Drawing from extensive interviews, well-known banjoist Murphy Hicks Henry gives voice to women performers and innovators throughout bluegrass's history, including such pioneers as Bessie Lee Mauldin, Wilma Lee Cooper, and Roni and Donna Stoneman; family bands including the Lewises, Whites, and McLains; and later pathbreaking performers such as the Buffalo Gals and other all-girl bands, Laurie Lewis, Lynn Morris, Missy Raines, and many others.
Here is the blog that Murphy wrote about the book.
Price includes shipping within the US. (Book shipped via Media Mail.)
We would love to ship Murphy's Book to our Canadian customers, but additional shipping costs ($15.00) make website ordering complicated. Canadian customers please call us at the number on our web site.
We are sorry that we can no longer ship books overseas due to the extremely high cost. Please order from Amazon right here: https://bit.ly/2f7ghnM
All copies purchased from us will be autographed. If you would like it personalized, please put that in the "Comments" box at checkout. Scroll down for reviews.
About Murphy Method
The Murphy Method is a way of teaching bluegrass music BY EAR. We use no tablature in our teaching because we believe tablature is a crutch that interferes with learning to play bluegrass. We explain each song note by note, so that it is easy and quick to learn. As you learn these tunes, you also develop your ear, so that learning actually gets easier as you go along! Many of our students tell us that the Murphy Method is the fastest, easiest, most enjoyable way to learn that they have ever tried. And the facts speak for themselves: our students are learning to play!
Visit us at http://www.murphymethod.com
Ad Number 106322
Posted: Jan 9, 2017 07:10 AM CDT
P.O. Box 2498
Winchester Virginia 22604
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 118
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other recent ads placed:
• Murphy Method Intermediate Banjo Camp March 24-26, 2017
• Chris Henry's Bill Monroe-Style Mandolin
• Great Banjo Tunes (Formerly Titled Advanced Banjo)
• Ned Luberecki: Start With The Melody - Easy Solos
• Intermediate Mandolin Volume 1
• Beginning Fiddle Volume 1
• Bluegrass Mandolin And Other Trouble: Red Henry
• Jump Into Jamming With Chris Henry: Bluegrass Classics
• Learning To Hear Chord Changes
• Banjo Capos, Chords, And Theory
• Half Price DVD Of The Month: Banjo Backup For Fiddle Tunes
• Beginning Guitar - Murphy Method
• Picking Up The Pace: More Slow Jamming With Murphy And Casey
• Murphy Method Women's Bluegrass Jam+Harmony Singing Camp
• Murphy Method Women's Banjo Camp: July 28-30, 2017
• Beginning Mandolin
• Kickstart Your Jamming
• Easy Songs For Banjo